What did you Catch Today?

truecrimson

Santa Rosa was heartbreaking as well. Let’s wipe out unique substrains of elk and Muleys to study lichen. A disease or inbreeding issues can be fixed with isolated populations like that.

NZ is going through something similar last I read. Shooting Tahr and Chamois from helicopters to cut populations/eliminate. OZ tried that with water buffs to but I hear they are found to be a delicacy so it’s meat markets now I think.

Crazy in the name of conservation we’ll wipe out entire populations.
Flores makes a compelling case that the spread of the coyote was actually caused by us trying to wipe them all out. That pressure caused them to continually move into new areas, have larger litters, and a higher survival to adulthood rate among the pups.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
My buddy Brian and I visited Raritan Bay / Sandy Hook today in pursuit of Stripers. We marked a ton in the bay but there was also a ton of boats. I caught one there and one Dog Shark, boo.

In an effort to “make something happen” and get away from pressured fish, we decided to head out in front of Sandy Hook. Conditions were 3’-4’ out there and the current / wind was fast so it wasn’t easy but we found birds working and the fun commenced. It took some patience though, once we got hooked up and brought a striper in, we drifted 100 yards away from the action so off to drive to the birds again, rinse and repeat. We ended up splitting on 20 with many in the high 20” and low 30” class. The biggest was caught by Brian at 39”, a throwback at that size, over 38” and it has to be released. We weren’t keeping anyways except for one that Brian kept as a friend of his asked him to bring one home for him.

Winner of the day.
0A463F4A-B927-475E-A0F9-E27E700A2A65.jpeg

Don

Um, Excuse me Sir, SIR! Where do I puke?

I don't last long out front except in a keel boat and even that gives out eventually. Sad but true.
No bait? Just Lures?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Um, Excuse me Sir, SIR! Where do I puke?

I don't last long out front except in a keel boat and even that gives out eventually. Sad but true.
No bait? Just Lures?

I am fortunate that I do not get affected. I do at times still fell like I am in the boat in the evening though and oddly, when I take a shower after a trip.

Some were caught on Elias Swim Shads but the majority were Hogy Epoxy Jigs. The bass were keying in on small eels and those jigs fit that profile well.

MB3

Stopped real quick and got exactly one trout but it's a wild trout. Just haven't had time but I think the car search is over. I also think I have some kind of surgery coming on my wrist that will cost me time. Come Spring time my old effort will return. So will the results I am used to.

Attachments

• PXL_20211110_201841963.jpg
    PXL_20211110_201841963.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Stopped real quick and got exactly one trout but it's a wild trout. Just haven't had time but I think the car search is over. I also think I have some kind of surgery coming on my wrist that will cost me time. Come Spring time my old effort will return. So will the results I am used to.
Beautiful specimen. Always love the red dots and the shape of them. I’ve seen some with almost diamond like shapes.

Don

I had the trapezium removed in my wrist and it was a good decision 3 years ago. learned how to fish with a fly rod with the opposite hand and built the drift boat while recovering and only one hand.
Love those wild trout.

Melvinp

Them sure are some pretty fish be thankful they’re not as abundant anymore

truecrimson

I am fortunate that I do not get affected. I do at times still fell like I am in the boat in the evening though and oddly, when I take a shower after a trip.

Some were caught on Elias Swim Shads but the majority were Hogy Epoxy Jigs. The bass were keying in on small eels and those jigs fit that profile well.
I'm the same way. The world was still moving for a while after Don and I last went out.

truecrimson

I had the trapezium removed in my wrist and it was a good decision 3 years ago. learned how to fish with a fly rod with the opposite hand and built the drift boat while recovering and only one hand.
Love those wild trout.
Oh, geebus! not only did he build his own boat, but he did it one handed while recovering from surgery.........

;)

Don

TC Let me remind you. It was a lake. Not a Bay. We did not go out but stayed in the lake.
I guess we'll have to do it again and again until you get used to it

truecrimson

I left the house. Therefore I "went out" ;)

I don't think there is a getting used to it. It's been the case all my life. Grandpas boat, Pa Pa's boat (I think it was really Mi Ma's boat), dad's boat. It's not a problem. I don't mind it. It's a nice reminder of the experience later and very relaxing. Kind of like burping hours after a really good steak and you get the full steak flavor again ;)

The up and down doesn't seem to happen as much in the yak, but after a 6 or 8 hour creek trip I do feel like the world is flowing for a while.

truecrimson

Wouldn't that just make the bouncing down/up instead of up/down? ;)

Last couple of times I went to Blue Marsh was sudden shore fishing. Sudden because I was going to do something for job #2 and it fell through. Didn't catch anything. I did find another "paddle launch", but it looked like a brutal haul to water. Then last time they had drawn down the lake quite a bit so I think the only functioning launches now would be the 3 traditional boat launches.

With the it getting dark so early now I really have to get an early start. Things take a lot longer with the Ride than with the Vibe. But getting up early clashes with me really liking to sleep in on my days off. Maybe next time I'll take the Vibe since the boat traffic has died down, but I really need. But I am tied up with work probably until after Thanksgiving.