Where can I buy hooks

Don

I want to buy 2/0 wide gap worm hooks affordably. Are there brands to avoid?

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
For everyday fishing so to speak, I just buy hooks at the local Dick’s Sporting Goods. I am a Gamakatsu snob as I am use to their quality and sharpness. That is not however your request of cheap.

For price, I buy VMC, I think they are the perfect blend of quality and price but retail, they’re not cheap either as they are dominating the retail shelves. They are however reasonably priced online at Hagens if you are looking to buy in bulk.

I pretty much avoid all other hooks that are cheap, I’ve found many to break and lose their edge quickly.

Don

I have used allot of Eagle Claw and strength-wise have never been let down. I feel that they rust more easily than other brands. They are sharp. Ironically the shelf price at Dick's isn't bad right now but its still too expensive IMO. I fear buying bulk because as a new tier I'm spread pretty thin and have already changed my preferences several times. Nappy has me thinking big, bigger and biggest and Melvin practices restraint. Other folks are all over the place. Its safe to say that Pocono Lakes will be my fishing home for the next year.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Would you be looking to tie these for personal use or do you intend to sell them? If for personal, trial and error, if for resale, get quality!

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

I have used allot of Eagle Claw and strength-wise have never been let down. I feel that they rust more easily than other brands. They are sharp. Ironically the shelf price at Dick's isn't bad right now but its still too expensive IMO. I fear buying bulk because as a new tier I'm spread pretty thin and have already changed my preferences several times. Nappy has me thinking big, bigger and biggest and Melvin practices restraint. Other folks are all over the place. Its safe to say that Pocono Lakes will be my fishing home for the next year.
I use a lot of eagle claw hooks myself. Yes they do rust if you do not dry your flies out. I always hate buying hooks cause I’m getting picky at what kinds I want. There’s thick, thin, long shanks, bead hooks, dry hooks, etc.

Solitario Lupo

I do believe there are some brands to avoid but some make good hooks and they make bad hooks like TMC hooks. I’ve bought the thin hooks not knowing one time and the fish bent the hooks and even me grabbing them with forceps I would just snap them. So when recommending I would say buy the 2x strong.

So now the question is your using for pike and pickerel patterns. Look for thickness and strength in the hooks.
Ebay is sometimes where I can get good prices on hooks but always have to read what you getting.
Another thing is coupons and big sales like now since trout fishing and spring time is here.

Melvinp

I have ever had anybody say I practice restraint lol not sure to take it as a compliment or a insult laugh my butt off

Nappy

I have used allot of Eagle Claw and strength-wise have never been let down. I feel that they rust more easily than other brands. They are sharp. Ironically the shelf price at Dick's isn't bad right now but its still too expensive IMO. I fear buying bulk because as a new tier I'm spread pretty thin and have already changed my preferences several times. Nappy has me thinking big, bigger and biggest and Melvin practices restraint. Other folks are all over the place. Its safe to say that Pocono Lakes will be my fishing home for the next

Why and for what are you useing them for ?

Nappy

Remember the bigger the hook the bigger the barb in most cases. This means your stripset when hooking a fish has to be harder or you won't get good penetration. A5 keep it to your self lol or at least pg

Nappy

Hooksets with a worm hook is not much fun with a flyrod. I've tied a few streamers with them and lost almost every fish when the jump or pulled them right out of there mouth. Just saying

Don

In the Lakes I fish its very weedy. By Summer every cast means cleaning the hook off. Its a productive area and I really enjoy it there. my quest is to become somewhat more weedless. The mono loop might help some of the time but I was looking to tie more of the Gartside Streamers onto worm hooks and bury the point in Maraboo and various other flashy components. On one lakes I fish, Lake Towhee, the water is 4-6' deep and yet the milfoil weed is within 6-10" of the surface and encompasses every inch that isn't in lily pads. There are plenty of 5lb bass and 24+" Pickerel in there but its hard to harvest. So I started watching Fred video on Snake head fishing and watching how he casts right through the weedbeds and now that is what I want to do. Limited by the size of my gear the streamers and aversive Buggers should work well.

Below is Jack Gartside original Soft Hackle Streamer:swshstreamr2.jpg

Don

Here is someone else's streamer that would do well. A high-tied Bluegill.
Lastly is one I tied in White Maraboo and Duck using a #2/0 EWG worm hook.

Attachments

• RIO Princess Slaya B.png
    RIO Princess Slaya B.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4569.jpeg
    IMG_4569.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Don

For the over-sized Baitfish I'm tying this:Weedless Baitfish Fly

This hook was recommended or any EWG worm hook with a mono tag. Its supposed to be self-keeling and it can be weighted with beads or rattles.

Attachments

• 32_603d253a1c6ad.jpg
    32_603d253a1c6ad.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • XRK3YHHTRDX7AMGHYBM5D54PUQ.jpg
    XRK3YHHTRDX7AMGHYBM5D54PUQ.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0