Which

Don

I have this old buddy that gave me his old boat. Thinking about putting a trolling motor on it. Do I want to put it onto the front or back. Low budget so not a spot lock hooked to a plotter. It would seem like I would want it on the front for fishing. Or on the rear for traveling .

Melvinp

If it’s just you I would say in the back if there’s 2 than both lol kinda really depends on how much trolling ya do I think it’s a lot easier to troll from the back of the boat just because of the rod placement you have to have but if you have a fishing buddy that can control your direction while you’re mess with your gear and not run into anyone else’s boat lol kinda laugh even harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don

MB3

I prefer foot controls in the bow especially if it's windy.

If you fish alone, sit in the back and place the battery there you point upwards in small boats.

Reactions: Don

A-5

Well Don. Sitting on the back controlling the vessel is easy. Hint to self. Troll in reverse and life is good. You could re wire a foot peddle to make it easier. Whatever you decide you will make it work. But just turn your thinking. Reverse will be your friend

Don

I wonder if the guy that had this boat ever had the 6 HP gas motor connected to the helm at the dash.

Melvinp

The biggest thing I noticed was all the micro adjustments I had to do with the foot pedaled bow mount I guess the biggest problem is the wind of course. Just go spot lock and take the time map out your course and push the button

Don

That's what I was looking to do. I'd like to sit up front like as if I were MR. Zionkowski in the "Ark". I think it would be really cool to convert this boat into an all electric jobber.

Don

So, I am looking at a $500 foot controlled MoKinto motor. 45lbs. This old tri hull is heavy. if I were to name it I think id name it Bruiser or Thud. I think it would be very directionally stable given the three keels under it. Thinking of a Chair(stool) up front and the motor next to me. I'm 260 and so to balance me out the batteries would need to. go to the back. A bank of three $60 deep cycles, lead acid, from the farmer up the road would do it. The boat was a great gift and I haven't th dollars for a new boat so what the heck this will be fine. Stripers on the Nock, Salmon and Bass in Merril creek res... I fish alone but the pooch is always there. Lots of room for him.
I would still have the old reliable drift boat for small and shallow lakes like Hidden and Gouldsboro.