Who knows something about line?

Don

I see numerous examples on-line where mono is the same or only 50% more than the diameter of braid.
I'm hoping to use braid for the bait casters. Currently I'm using 15lb mono. I'd like more control with slightly easier casting and am thinking of 10lb braid. With most brands 10lb braid will come in at about half the diameter of 15pound mono. With as supple as braid is it should handle repala, soft stickballs and spinners well.
What do you say?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have learned that line diameter plays a big part in getting the best performance out of a reel, regardless if using mono, braid or floro. Whether to use one line type over the other is technique specific. Braid Diameter comparable to 15lb. mono is going to be about 30lb braid. The reel will perform well, assuming that reel is designed for 15lb. mono. 10lb braid diameter is getting into the area of 4-6lb. mono and I have only seen high priced finesse bait casters handle that line diameter. It has to do with the spool weight and line weight and how they keep up with each other so using 10lb braid on your reel will result in a birds nest quickly! If not, your first cast.

This is a good video from Jacob Wheeler about line. It is definitely worth the time to watch it IMO.

Don

My Reel Ratings:
Product Details:丨Gear ratio, 7.2:1丨Frame:Graphite丨BB:5+1丨Max Drag (Lbs):17.6丨Mono Line Capacity (Lbs/Yds):10/130,12/110,14/90丨Braid Line Capacity:(Lbs/Yds): 40/130, 50/110, 65/90丨Weight (oz):7.2丨Inch Per Turn:22.4 - 29.8丨

It does not include Floro capacity so I guess that the designers are not really a fan of it.

While I'm currently using 15lb to sort of keep me out of trouble it looks like I could go down a size or two.

Are you saying that most baitcasters aren't really intended for tossing lures under 3/8 oz?

I find it amazing how accurate these rigs can be.

Don

I learned allot from your video. That combined with a couple of B.Lat tubes caused me to think that I'm already on the right track. Interesting to hear him say that he is not worried about line shyness and is more interested in the proper presentation. Using the 15lb mono I can change some of the dynamics at the bitter end by Changing up the size floro I use as a leader. As I collect more reels and rigs I might put different line onto them for different purposes but Im new to this and not there yet. 14 -15 pound mono and 10-12lb floro leader for now.

We basically had this same conversation earlier in the year but now I speak or question things with some modest experience. I've said it before and I stand by it that the pushbutton life experience sort of set me up for bait casting. Thanks

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Jacob is definitely one of the pros to listen to. His accomplishments on the water are impressive and he may very well end up as the all time great. He doesn’t push product like some of the other pros, he just likes teaching and entertaining.

pabassman

My Reel Ratings:
Product Details:丨Gear ratio, 7.2:1丨Frame:Graphite丨BB:5+1丨Max Drag (Lbs):17.6丨Mono Line Capacity (Lbs/Yds):10/130,12/110,14/90丨Braid Line Capacity:(Lbs/Yds): 40/130, 50/110, 65/90丨Weight (oz):7.2丨Inch Per Turn:22.4 - 29.8丨

It does not include Floro capacity so I guess that the designers are not really a fan of it.

While I'm currently using 15lb to sort of keep me out of trouble it looks like I could go down a size or two.

Are you saying that most baitcasters aren't really intended for tossing lures under 3/8 oz?

I find it amazing how accurate these rigs can be.
What would make you think a reel designer doesnt like floro? Or any type of line? Floro /mono are the same diameter.

Don

Roger that. funny way to ask. I hated floro on spinning reels.
Dont you mostly use braid for everything?

Don

I had a spool of dark green powerpro braid…8lb … I put it onto a Shammy quick fire 2000. While it casts well I can’t see it and am therefore, at least initially, not sure I like it. Maybe in time some of its other attributes will outweigh my only complaint so far.
This line came in a box of reels that I bought two years ago and until recently hadn’t been noticed.

HenryDavid

I like braid for top water and crankbaits, mainly river fishing. If I get snagged I can wrap the braided line around a stout branch and pull whatever out. Either the hook will straighten out or I'll pull a log out of the river, either way the braid doesn't break. I truly hate seeing braided line left in the water, since I'm mostly wading, if you get your legs wrapped up in the stuff you could get in some trouble. Snagger from Altmar told me the same thing years ago, which was why he hated braid. Never leave braided line, or any line for that matter, in the water, it's a danger to humans and animals alike.