You There Z ?????

Don

I have a rod that although pretty looking it casts poorly. I do like the power vs limberness of it. It was nice for skipping in May/June.
The guides are grooved and the tip was smashed and when I add it all up I'm temped to use it as a blank and shorten it from 7 to 6'6" which has become my favorite for general purpose. I cant think of any reason that this wouldn't work fine. Can you think of why I wouldn't want to do this?
In realty Z is probably napping so anyone's comments are welcome....even A-5's.

Melvinp

I have a rod that although pretty looking it casts poorly. I do like the power vs limberness of it. It was nice for skipping in May/June.
The guides are grooved and the tip was smashed and when I add it all up I'm temped to use it as a blank and shorten it from 7 to 6'6" which has become my favorite for general purpose. I cant think of any reason that this wouldn't work fine. Can you think of why I wouldn't want to do this?
In realty Z is probably napping so anyone's comments are welcome....even A-5's.
Probably the the amount of work it really takes to redo a rod Even to redo the eyes can set you back a hours no less the handles don’t come apart easily it would really have to be a special moment rod

Don

A special moment rod? Hmm, didn't know there was such a thing, lol. Below is a 1950's or 60's Wright McGill I redid. Took several days but is now my favorite 4wt. It came apart easily as it was from before epoxy. I didn't shorten it or change anything...just sanded and painted it, installed handle and all new guides.IMG_0104.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

A-5

Well if you have the time like Melvin says. The nice thing about custom. It’s what you want

Randy Z

Not knowing the rod, i would have to say losing 6" from the tip will kill its action. It will go from poor casting to using a broom stick. The last 2ft of the rod is were all your casting power comes from. I have a rod i built and broke off the tip also. I just use it as a straight down jigging rod now.

Reactions: Don

Don

If I removed any it would be from the base. only 3-6". I'll let ya know. Glad to hear from you again.