Baitcasters and Round Ocean type reel advive

Gremcat

Tried Lake Worth pier as I think I posted in the daily catch photo thread. Cowfish and my colleague lost a monster permit or something like it.

The spillways are full of all kinds of interesting stuff. Snook, pompano, freshwater fish spilling over, etc.

My travel rod was way too large for that type of fishing. I just got an opened box medium power casting rod from Daiwa. One of their imports not offered here. It’s a 3 piece 7’ iirc. I’m going to pair it to a bait caster or similar.

I’ve heard a basic bait caster like a Tatula? Is fine. I’ve looked at used Calcutta 200b something? I think they are. The ones with the metal retrieval not plastic. Used about $180 on eBay from Japan. I’ve looked at others as well.

I’m thinking multi use since after this trip to WPB I won’t be back for a while but WI and even Calgary are coming up. Maybe a 300-350 size reel? Could pull extra duty for friends borrowing for chrome.

I know nothing at all of baitcasters. I saw a guy on the pier cast beyond believe with a round trolling reel, a spinning reel, and a heavy heavy short setup. He was throwing spoons in between the long casts to try for anything. Young guy with little English, Cuban I think. He wizzed big lead out, then clipped a swivel on, then let his bait setup slide down it.

Guy was a skinny wirey type but when he cast even his heavy rod flexed deep and the cast was louder than anything I’ve heard like it. He’d even get a running start and had timing down perfect. He acted like he fishes there daily too so lots of practice.

So I’ll likely try the spillways, maybe the pier, and the new Hilton I picked last trip is on the canals. I saw a few dozen peacock bass and cichlids building nests. I plan to at least harass them and their gar buddies hanging just off the nests.

As usual long winded, I’m looking for advice on a bait caster low pro or round reel. Something not ridiculous but with enough line it’ll handle steelhead or drum in the salt with the odd snook mixed in. Maybe the smaller shovel nosed sturgeon in WI/IL also. Saw a few reviews on 350s being perfect for light tackle and larger tackle. Not sure if a 350 sized would cast with 8 lbs mono or would require 12. Never cast a BC style reel.

Will also bring my 8wt and might use my pin on it just for fun with peacocks lol.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Good to see you posting. Sounds like you made the most of your time.

A friend uses a round BC for salt, 300 Calcutta B, and outcasts me vs my spinning rod normally. I wouldn’t label it a freshwater reel unless going for larger species but it has served him well.

I like my Curados and they can do salt duties as well but double check the series and size, regardless of manufacturer that it can do salt. I personally like to go lighter than heavier but that is me.

Gremcat

I was thinking a 100 but wasn’t sure if that would be too little line for fish like steelhead or drum. I’ve other options for those though. Big one is drag to keep fish out of boat blocking rope in spillways. I’m not sure if larger size equals more drag though.

Salt it won’t see much so if it’ll last a week without rusting shut I’ll keep it rinsed. I’m guessing there’s no sort of resistant and if it’s not it’ll be rusted up in a day.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’ve learned that if you stay on top of maintenance with reels that are not salt rated and clean them after every trip that you can get some mileage out of them but it will shorten it’s life span.

If I were in your position, I would pour through the different manufacturer offerings and specs and see what aligns with drag, line capacity, etc. that you are looking for and see if you can narrow down some choices.

Don

So you have two concerns. Generally you like capacity. But you also have a need to stop the fish before they're on the ropes?

The only problem with going heavier is fatigue. Hard to believe but it is an issue as the day progresses.

When learning BC it helps to have two identical units because you will tangle both each day for a while until you get it. heavier line lays more dependably than lighter line. Mono lays better than Braid. Trilene Big Game is awesome on BC's ImHO.

Solitario Lupo

Sounds like a hard one since you’re combining steel to salt. Steel can be done with light gear like a 100 but for salt I would at least start with a 300. Also for a bait since it’s a close system I would get a salt water one for salt. Also look at your drag size it will matter for a bigger fish or you will be using your thumb to slow it down. A spinning or fly you can tighten drag pretty much all way down till line snaps bait will have only so much drag you can tighten.

Gremcat

So you have two concerns. Generally you like capacity. But you also have a need to stop the fish before they're on the ropes?

The only problem with going heavier is fatigue. Hard to believe but it is an issue as the day progresses.

When learning BC it helps to have two identical units because you will tangle both each day for a while until you get it. heavier line lays more dependably than lighter line. Mono lays better than Braid. Trilene Big Game is awesome on BC's ImHO.
Just in one situ and it’s not a recurring one. Most I’ll get in spillway should be smaller species like pompano unless I hit an odd bull shark but then it’s over anyway.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Sounds like a hard one since you’re combining steel to salt. Steel can be done with light gear like a 100 but for salt I would at least start with a 300. Also for a bait since it’s a close system I would get a salt water one for salt. Also look at your drag size it will matter for a bigger fish or you will be using your thumb to slow it down. A spinning or fly you can tighten drag pretty much all way down till line snaps bait will have only so much drag you can tighten.
I’ll probably go 300 and use my medium/large spinning as the loaner. Or if I don’t like someone loan them my tarpon/shark spinning setup!😏

Reactions: Don