Boating on the ocean.

Don M

So my buddy had a boat that was only safe to fish the inlets, mostly Shark River. Well he got a bigger boat and we want to venture into the ocean. We are rookies!!!! I'd like to know how we can find spots to go to, and see if we can put them in the GPS (also rookies). We'd like not to buy charts. I'm not asking for your honey holes. Just some information where to start.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I can help you with Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook. Depends on your launch area. Sea Girt Reef is a very popular destination if heading out anywhere north.

Don

First rule is to buy paper or electronic charts. Plotter is best. Then, second rule is, Maybe, Always where a life preserver. You see if you don't know exactly where you are you cant save yourself. No life preserver will keep you alive this time of the year. I've run My sailboat from C&D Canal to Raritian and and back plus up and down Barnegat Inlet (Oyster Creek). Navigation aides are everything when the weather closes in.

Don M

I can help you with Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook. Depends on your launch area. Sea Girt Reef is a very popular destination if heading out anywhere north.
Well we will want to fish Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook, where do you launch from?

Reactions: A-5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Well we will want to fish Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook, where do you launch from?

I will mention our preferred spots but I will also give some info about spots we've used so that you are in the know......

If Fishing the Upper Bay or River
We launch out of Keyport Marine Basin. It is $25 to launch. It gets busy at times and sometimes finding a parking spot for the truck and trailer can be tough. They do have a fish cleaning station as well as a shop to get some miscellaneous fishing supplies and even some parts for the boat.

Right around the corner is Keyport Municipal but parking is difficult and they do not have a fish cleaning station last I knew. I believe their fee is also $25 but we stopped going there once we got familiar with the Marine Basin. Keyport Municipal is a tough launch or retrieve at low tides, the ramp slope is too gradual and locals will literally gather to watch people make mistakes doing it.

If Fishing the Lower Bay / Sandy Hook or Out Front
We like to use the Atlantic Highlands Marina. It is probably the nicest public place in NJ?? and you can launch 5 boats at a time on their ramp as well as they have a cleaning station. Fees are the same, $25.

Not far from Atlantic Highlands is Leonardo. Fees are the same but there are no "easy" fish cleaning stations. The fish cleaning stations are reserved for people who dock there but we've been able to use them, whether allowed or not? we've never been lectured but we also have a good relationship with the attendant. The launch is tough, once again, at low tide because their ramp is really steep. Total opposite of Keyport Municipal above.

Just a quick note about launching
With exception to Atlantic Highlands, if you are launching or loading at Low Tide and it happens to be a Super Moon. Bring a couple of pops to wait it out an hour or so. ;)

A Serious Note about the Ammo Pier
If you are not familiar with the boundaries of the Ammo Pier, get VERY familiar with them. You will need a graph with mapping to show you the boundaries as they do not buoy them as nice as they use to. If you go into their boundary, they will literally chase you down with a Gunner and .50 Cal and point it right at you, you'll be yelled at, threatened that they'll seize your boat, fine you, send you to jail, etc. Ask me how I know. Many people can tell that same story and we all laugh about it but it's quite alarming the first time it happens. ;)

Don

I use opposite launch sites:
-Seawaren has a nice calm ramp and nice people. Then it's a mile or two to open water. But the Blues are always available where the Raritan meets the Arthur Kill.
-The other ramp I used is Atlantic Highlands. It really is a 5 lane ramp unless New Jersey or New York boaters are present, in which case I've seen all 5 lanes blocked by one rich guy, that can't back up, sideways across all lanes, and grinding off his prop on the asphalt ramp. When you arrive walk out and look from the dock before you select your lane. There has often been shoaling there and it is usually along the dock side.
-Watch for shoaling here and there along the Hook.
-check the

Don M

A Serious Note about the Ammo Pier
If you are not familiar with the boundaries of the Ammo Pier, get VERY familiar with them. You will need a graph with mapping to show you the boundaries as they do not buoy them as nice as they use to. If you go into their boundary, they will literally chase you down with a Gunner and .50 Cal and point it right at you, you'll be yelled at, threatened that they'll seize your boat, fine you, send you to jail, etc. Ask me how I know. Many people can tell that same story and we all laugh about it but it's quite alarming the first time it happens. ;)
Can I get the graft / mapping online?
I think we'll be trying Sandy Hook area first.
Like I said we are real amateurs, fish outa water.
Can you tell me how to get charts to download into a GPS, or send to me email.
I'm not being lazy, just know nothing about it.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Can I get the graft / mapping online?
I-Boating and Navionics offer free online chart viewing as well as some others. Just do a google search and you'll find them.

As for Charts for your GPS, that is too broad of a question as I have no idea of the GPS you're using or even if it can load maps. There are mapping / boating apps you can download to your phone. I recommend at least starting with that and see where your needs end up.

Reactions: Don

Don M

I-Boating and Navionics offer free online chart viewing as well as some others. Just do a google search and you'll find them.

As for Charts for your GPS, that is too broad of a question as I have no idea of the GPS you're using or even if it can load maps. There are mapping / boating apps you can download to your phone. I recommend at least starting with that and see where your needs end up.
I just saw that loading to phone, Thanks!