Direction: lookin for some!

Randy Z

You all know that I'm not a trophy hunter. Many is the time I've had to remind A-5 that it is not about the tug but rather its about the experience. So I fish for the types and species I like and Black Bass and an occasional Smallie remain a pleasant By-catch. At Merrill Creek fishermen often get glassy-eyed and emotional about certain things and this yr I hope to prove them right. They always mention the sizable Smallies they catch along the three Dam Breasts. When I try to get them to talk more about it or ask what they were using their usual answer is "I can't stop for then, I got the planers out and I cant stop there". Finally I met a 'Clear-eyed' fisherman that targets these and he said that there are indeed some chunky Smallmouth along there. When I go along the Dams I see fish about 100' out in 15-30' and I assume these are a mix of Largemouth, smallmouth and seasonally Brownies and Salmon. I want to target them a little and would like to toss baits (TR and SB) perpendicular to the dam. Of course there are two choices....I could position near the Dam and cast out or I could position out 100' and cast in to the dam. From reading I realize that cranbaits and square bills, something I don't use, are often fished from deep to shallow whereas with TR and Crawlers I've not seen much talk of direction.
What do you recommend and what would you do.
Don can you send me your number? Have some questions for you?????

Reactions: Don