Finally got out for the first time

Don

Caught my usual dream fishies!
Oodles of Slime Rockets, a couple large Male Bluegill. But the best was that after fishing all day, along with my pooch, I finally found a whole school of Crappie near suppertime. They kept biting and only the fact that I had to leave for home made it stop, love it...kept two tanks for dinner. Phone died mid day so only a few shots. My Uncle left me a customer built panfish rod when he passed and I found this nice little under-spin reel for it. It throws the Beetle spins wonderfully. Although I will fish whatever rod/reel combo's necessary, and I do plan to fish with fly rod in retirement, I pretty much only fish Spincast these days. The Shakespeare (maroon) below was donated by a friend. It has a 4.1/1 ration and is therefore perfect for the medium and large Beetlespins with up to 4'' Kieteck.
Do you remember how I used to complain about weeds and couldn't figure out how people fish over them and through them? Well I've finally learned to do okay in weeds...pretty good in fact. The Pickerel at Gouldsboro are smallish. Yesterday I only caught one that may have been 18" but I know there are much bigger Pickerel in there. Off and on, all afternoon, I alternated between casting in open water and over weed beds. Turns out that the bigger Pickerel came out of the heavy weeds. I'd like to catch some in the 20-24" category and so I hope to fish over the weeds more and more. 17lb mono makes a natural looking bite tippet. 18"- 2ft is perfect. I hope to do more at Shahola as the years pass. Also Merrill Creek as they've been catching allot of 5-9 pounders there.
Please hit the Subscribe button below and donate to me as best you can...

Attachments

• IMG_9330.JPG
    IMG_9330.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9333.JPG
    IMG_9333.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9331.JPG
    IMG_9331.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9332.JPG
    IMG_9332.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9309.JPG
    IMG_9309.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

HenryDavid

Caught my usual dream fishies!
Oodles of Slime Rockets, a couple large Male Bluegill. But the best was that after fishing all day, along with my pooch, I finally found a whole school of Crappie near suppertime. They kept biting and only the fact that I had to leave for home made it stop, love it...kept two tanks for dinner. Phone died mid day so only a few shots. My Uncle left me a customer built panfish rod when he passed and I found this nice little under-spin reel for it. It throws the Beetle spins wonderfully. Although I will fish whatever rod/reel combo's necessary, and I do plan to fish with fly rod in retirement, I pretty much only fish Spincast these days. The Shakespeare (maroon) below was donated by a friend. It has a 4.1/1 ration and is therefore perfect for the medium and large Beetlespins with up to 4'' Kieteck.
Do you remember how I used to complain about weeds and couldn't figure out how people fish over them and through them? Well I've finally learned to do okay in weeds...pretty good in fact. The Pickerel at Gouldsboro are smallish. Yesterday I only caught one that may have been 18" but I know there are much bigger Pickerel in there. Off and on, all afternoon, I alternated between casting in open water and over weed beds. Turns out that the bigger Pickerel came out of the heavy weeds. I'd like to catch some in the 20-24" category and so I hope to fish over the weeds more and more. 17lb mono makes a natural looking bite tippet. 18"- 2ft is perfect. I hope to do more at Shahola as the years pass. Also Merrill Creek as they've been catching allot of 5-9 pounders there.
Please hit the Subscribe button below and donate to me as best you can...
"I do plan to fish with fly rod in retirement" Why wait ?

Don

TS , It is.
HD when I was fly fishing only I would retrieve I a fun manor. Learned it online. I would put the rod under my arm and use two hands to retreive rapidly and smoothly. This is what the Pickerel liked and it worked well. White works best.

HenryDavid

TS , It is.
HD when I was fly fishing only I would retrieve I a fun manor. Learned it online. I would put the rod under my arm and use two hands to retreive rapidly and smoothly. This is what the Pickerel liked and it worked well. White works best.
Yes I've seen that, it's a little extreme but pickerel on the fly would be a kick

Don

Good way to look at it: "Spinning, bait, and fly. They all do something different."

truecrimson

Have to agree with this one If you have the rods and you’re allowed to carry around 3 rods why not have it on you. Muskie fishing I have all 3 and will use all 3 rods. Spinning, bait, and fly. They all do something different.
I have always interpreted the regs as I can only have 3 lines in the water but I can carry around as many as I want.

Last edited:

truecrimson

I should add I have had my license checked many times at state parks and they have never said anything about the number of rods I had leaned against a picnic table.