Larger Fish and Top Knot?

Gremcat

When I’m back from Wisconsin we leave for 11 days in Keys then 4 in West Palm. Since my trip expanded the extra days I was looking at travel rods. Wife surprised me by ordering one.

I’m now trying to learn how to rig for big tarpon and such. I am ordering a reel and they can pre spool it. Looks like an 800 series spool, 50# 16 strand hollow braid, 50# mono, going to stick with A-5’s preference, Big Game, they use a set of needles/latching things and run 30’ of mono into braid. Then pull through, nail knot 5-6 spots, then use a glue.

I found some tarpon fishing pages to get here. I am ordering TS’s recommended FC Sniper Flouro but the shock cord sub brand. 50# or 40#.

Guessing the added cost of a kit to make these splices is something I should buy. The keys bridges have resident tarpon over 100 lbs. Most anglers said they leave the schools it 50 lbs. fish when jumbos show. I’m not one to shy from a challenge but might meet my match this time.

Questions I have:

Is Top Shot knot setup being best for what I’m targeting?

Will I likely break leader and thus downsize slightly/upsize braid/mono prior can avoid this complicated looking Top Shot process? If it’s a rare break maybe just have local shop retie. Or pickup when I’m there after they show me how to use. I’m ordering from Charkbait.

Giant swivel or?? Between Mono and Flouro?

Is 800 series (marked 80 by brand Im looking) the best due to line capacity or should I down size to 65? I’m torn between line capacity and bulky size. Without handling it’s just me guessing. Rod is an Okuma travel Surf setup. 10’ 4 piece Heavy. Thought MH might be more useful beyond Keys but she ordered before I decided and probably better off with Heavy.

Anything else I’m missing besides brains to avoid this endeavor? 😂

I’ve a 54’ish nice fishing yacht chartered for entire first day. I’m hoping to get some insight there. They don’t bother targeting big tarpon so I’m solo there on subsequent days.

Might get a center console rental for the week or a few days anyway. I’m sure I’ll charter at least one more time for spear fishing.

I’m way outta my element on the surf/bridge fishing. I’ve caught Striper on jetties in MA but that was a lifetime ago and fish much smaller.

I’m not tossing jigs/spoons. I’m going to just use the blue crab locals recommend. Never rigged a live 🦀 Might get pinched a bit.

Melvinp

No idea for sure but a knot on a swivel is usually stronger than any line to line knot when in doubt palamar ever thing braid to swivel,swivel to floro and floro to bait

Melvinp

Long post even by my novella standards. Appreciate any insight others have.

TS, Salt Gear is $$$$$$ 😳😳😳😱
Trying picking out a fly reel for a orvise recon 6 weight Ugg not really necessary but 299 + 100 dollar fly line really really not even fair but that’s what I want.

Gremcat

See other references to FC knot for braid to flouro without mono leader. Not sure the 16 strand hollow braid makes sense if I’m not making a Top Knot connection but I’m clueless.

Gremcat

No idea for sure but a knot on a swivel is usually stronger than any line to line knot when in doubt palamar ever thing braid to swivel,swivel to floro and floro to bait
Thanks Mel, I had a lot of issues with knot breaks a few years ago. A-5 had me switch to Palomar and that’s all I really use aside from my oddball Fly line setup. Wasn’t sure with this. Read leader needs to be longer than fish due to how rough their scales are.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Long post even by my novella standards. Appreciate any insight others have.

TS, Salt Gear is $$$$$$ 😳😳😳😱
You've got that right! My buddy Brian between last year and this off-season geared for Tuna with 4 setups of varying sizes. One reel costs more than my most expensive Rod & Reel Bass setup.....and I am not cheap about buying toys. ;)

Good luck on your Tarpon adventure. I wish I could offer some advice but large salt fish are out of my league.

Gremcat

You've got that right! My buddy Brian between last year and this off-season geared for Tuna with 4 setups of varying sizes. One reel costs more than my most expensive Rod & Reel Bass setup.....and I am not cheap about buying toys. ;)

Good luck on your Tarpon adventure. I wish I could offer some advice but large salt fish are out of my league.
Seems tarpon gear is like Tuna though I’m sure the real big tuna offshore stuff is heavier maybe. That knot I’m looking at is tuna and 250lbs tarpon.

Gremcat

Handled a 60 and 80 series reel at Dick’s today. The 60 was Penn Battle, 80 some unknown brand. 60 felt extra large, 80 was massive! Really feel a 65 would be better all around but 80 gives a lot of room on spool.

With Tarpon fighting literally to death I’m told if too light of tackle it’s harder and with heavy just tighten drag. Fish will straighten the mammoth 6/0 stainless circle hooks!

Maybe I’m in too deep on this one 😂

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Maybe I’m in too deep on this one
My fishing passion started with stream wild trout so I was use to using a 5’ pole with spinners. Fast forward, my work opened a branch In Pittsburgh and since I was the IT guy at the time, it was my job to get them set up and do quarterly maintenance. Anyways, the Erie Steelhead bug caught my interest so I took advantage of the trip one time and drove north to spend a weekend on Walnut Creek.

Fortunately and maybe amazingly, the first hole I got to held a bunch of fish and it only took a few cast until it was fish on! I fought that fish for 20 minutes until he broke me off. I then hooked into the next one, I fought him for at least 15 minutes til I finally gave in and broke him off. I walked upstream, only to have it happen twice again.

Defeated, I drove to the local tackle store, bought a new rod and reel, sampled some of their fine smoked steelhead ;) all prepared to catch them the next day. The next day I arrived stream side, I couldn’t find a fish to save my life. Go figure. The journey however was memorable and maybe one of the greatest fishing times I’ve ever experienced. The unknowns and maybe the unprepared are awesome.

Blackcat Outdoors

20230702_103253.jpg
20230702_103419.jpg
My large surf rod has an 80 series Penn bait runner. I generally bait it up for shark, which like tarpon can fight and pull line for over an hour. I'd definitely recommend going that size for something like that just to keep from getting spooled. I run florescent yellow backer under my main line too, just so I know if I have to put the breaks on.

Solitario Lupo

I’d go with an 80 agree with a barrel swivel. Heavier the rod the better plus I’d stay away from a fast tip.
My go to knot would be the trilene knot.

Gremcat

I got the Okuma Traveling setup Heavy 10’6”, Okuma Bait Runner 80, 65 lbs braid, 50 Seaguar salt flouro, 6/0 hooks, and some odd swivels that look heavy duty. I’ve some Seaguar premade tied loop 50 lbs mono leader coming too. Got some gloves if I get lucky with tarpon.

Trying to sort out the landing gear for bridges and such as well as if a T shaped hook releaser is worth flying with for toothy catches.

Changed locations and now on water with dock also. Still have the big boat for Monday. I’ll probably adjust my shore tackle after seeing how they fish.

Gremcat

Trying picking out a fly reel for a orvise recon 6 weight Ugg not really necessary but 299 + 100 dollar fly line really really not even fair but that’s what I want.
I might have line from my frankenline projects left over. I also picked up an 8wt with wulff triangle taper along the way.

Melvinp

I might have line from my frankenline projects left over. I also picked up an 8wt with wulff triangle taper along the way.
I have a wulff to but In a 9wt 350 grains way to much for my little 6 think Rio Grand then getting a few sink tips so I can just take them on and off