Set it When?

Don

Before I joined this site I know everything about fishing. Funny, once I joined, I forgot everything....even where Boot lives. One of the things I need figure out is when to set the hook. In the last two year I have read so many article where the author recommends waiting to set the hook. Many folk say to wait a few long second before setting and especially for the Esox family.
How does one know when it is the Esox family? Did they sign your dance card? I never know what I have on until It surfaces. But when I do get a hit in the past I've always set as fast as I can. If I wanted to pause before setting what do I do....do I keep it tight or do I let them run with no tension. Do any of you practice this?
I do feel like I yank lures out of large pickerel allot and my hook-up ration is poor compared to bass.

truecrimson

Well, there's the rub; you don't know whether to set the hook hard and fast or let them play with it first until you know what fish it is. And if your like me and you, we just fish for anything, so we don't know what it is until AFTER we set the hook, which we don't know when to do ;)

Generally I would say if you are fishing with artificial set the hook quickly. Not always hard, like the bass guys, but quick. With artificials you are more likely to get a wide variety of fish you aren't targeting.

If you are fishing with bait you can let them run a little before setting.

The only species I really know how to target are carp and catfish, and you let them take it a ways and then set. They will both play with it before really biting, and you can yank it out of their mouth. They are also both known to spit it if they feel resistance too soon.

Solitario Lupo

Don this is very simple. Using lures set the hook when it is grabbed. Fishing with live baits you can let them swim. ESox grab fish by the middle then turn them to their heads and swallow.

Little explanation a lure is hard or plastic can be soft but they know what they grab. If it doesn’t feel right they will spit it out as quickly as they take it. You will miss any fish that does this even bass. I’ve lost many musky not being quick enough.

Fishing with live baits is they can feel it with right texture and it moves on its own so they will hold on to it. Open up bails and let them swim until you get the right angle and hook. Most people sight fish this way.

These aren’t bass or trout with soft mouths so set the drag tighter and hook hard. Always sharpen hooks.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I watched a video one time where Gerald Swindle said he is asked this question often. He is of course, referencing Bass. His take, fish don't have arms, there is only one way they can interact with your bait, when you feel a bite, set the hook!

If you watch Youtube, Tactical Bassin has some great underwater videos of fish biting different lures. When you see a largemouth suck in a jig, or pretty much any other bait, you'll feel confident about setting the hook on that first "tick". Smallmouth are a little different, sometimes they'll want to attack and shake a bait before taking the whole bite. Twice this past year, I had a smallie tear a claw off of my craw, I immediate knew what it was and in both instances, followed up with a swibait cast and caught them both.

HenryDavid

This topic always comes up when discussing top water for bass, jitterbugs, weedless frogs, etc. The popular opinion seems to be to wait, even count or repeat a phrase before setting the hook. In my experience it's basically hit & miss, 50/50. I set the hook when I "feel" something. It's difficult at night especially not to set the hook too early - when you hear the splash, but waiting too long can cost some hook-ups as well.

My feeling is to set the hook early, while the fish is around your lure because they might not be for long.

Don

HD those are my thoughts but I could see being more patient when using bait. But why?
They say not t shapen new hooks as they’re acid sharpened and a hone can’t come close. But otherwise sharpen.

I liked the contrasting opinions on Tactical Bassin.

truecrimson

I set when I feel. Sometimes when I don’t.
That's a good point to expand on. Sometimes it isn't a big hit or a splash. Sometimes your line does something else or something weird because a fish is screwing around with it. Sometimes a catfish or carp will pick up your bait and come towards you and you'll get slack instead of a tug. Sometimes your line will just jiggle a little. They may suck it in and then just lay down on the bottom to think about it.