What did you Buy Today?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I bought some War Eagle spinbaits last month and I was impressed with their quality and performance so I ordered a few more of them and some Booyah as well the other day.

I am looking forward to getting back to my roots of spinning….even though it’s not a spinning rod or inline spinner but it’s just a style I’ve enjoyed for many many years and miss.

Don

I see them at Gouldsboro being tossed during tournaments. I use the tinier version , beetlespins, all summer, with 2,3,and 4” Kietecks shiners. Put willow blade onto a couple and it doesn’t seem better or worse.

Melvinp

I bought some War Eagle spinbaits last month and I was impressed with their quality and performance so I ordered a few more of them and some Booyah as well the other day.

I am looking forward to getting back to my roots of spinning….even though it’s not a spinning rod or inline spinner but it’s just a style I’ve enjoyed for many many years and miss.
You might better get the wire out and make your own now lol

Melvinp

I see them at Gouldsboro being tossed during tournaments. I use the tinier version , beetlespins, all summer, with 2,3,and 4” Kietecks shiners. Put willow blade onto a couple and it doesn’t seem better or worse.
Blades per retrieval rate Colorado slow,Indian little faster,willow faster yet I should say that it not necessarily the retrieval rate but what rate the blade spins to a consistent rotation

Reactions: Don

A-5

Fish eagle stuff is great my salmon rod is also a FE and it’s stood the test of time owes me nothing

Melvinp

I am entertaining that. I need to use them a season and find what I like. I did some test casts with the Booyah Pond Magic in 3/16 ounce on my lighter bait caster, I am in heaven!
I quickly realized it’s not worth trying to bend the standard spinner bait forms my self but getting crazy and making your own stuff is always aloud

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Blades per retrieval rate Colorado slow,Indian little faster,willow faster yet I should say that it not necessarily the retrieval rate but what rate the blade spins to a consistent rotation

Yep, I have been learning that. It will be interesting to see how the Bass respond one trip over the next in both blade size and speed.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Double willows and keep them moving from mid Oct til the water gets below 45 Single BIG Colorado all summer at night, slow n steady!
Good advice. Thank you. What would be your goto at this point of the year? With water temps currently around 49 and a soft bite, I’m thinking slow with colorado.

My thoughts are change over to willow or double willow once the bass get shallow and pretty much ride that through fall.

Reactions: A-5

pabassman

Good advice. Thank you. What would be your goto at this point of the year? With water temps currently around 49 and a soft bite, I’m thinking slow with colorado.

My thoughts are change over to willow or double willow once the bass get shallow and pretty much ride that through fall.
I dont throw a spinnerbait often until about 55*. Always jerkbaits and in recent years added swimbaits when its cold. Last several years I dont really fish for bass til almost July. Panfish now, walleyes n stripers soon.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I dont throw a spinnerbait often until about 55*. Always jerkbaits and in recent years added swimbaits when its cold. Last several years I dont really fish for bass til almost July. Panfish now, walleyes n stripers soon.
I do like swimbaits, they have been my early season goto since I started bass fishing as it was something I could relate to due to early spring striper fishing on the bay. They ended up working for me and I have stuck with them since.

Don

This modern era of mixing terminology and not necessarily pinning it down kills me. Artificial used to be described as Rapala, Spinners and rubber worms. Now days it is merely referred to as ill defined lures, either Jerkbait or swim baits and both categories are somewhat crossing each other. So, What lures are you discussing as it will be helpful to my success, lol.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
This modern era of mixing terminology and not necessarily pinning it down kills me. Artificial used to be described as Rapala, Spinners and rubber worms. Now days it is merely referred to as ill defined lures, either Jerkbait or swim baits and both categories are somewhat crossing each other. So, What lures are you discussing as it will be helpful to my success, lol.
I get the feeling it would depend on who you ask. In my mind's eye, a jerk bait is typically a hard plastic, like a Vision Oneten or Rapala X-Rap but then you cross the line into a Jerk Shad that is soft plastic. The style of fishing both are similar though.

Also in my mind's eye, a swimbait is something with a tail that has action, like a plastic Keitech with a boot tail. They can also be hard plastic and have 2 or more sections so that the body and tail create action but some people call them a wake bait. So yeah, there is a lot of line crossing going on here. ;)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Ugh! I'm in this thread too often. And of course I am going to be long winded about it. ;)

I fell in love with the Shimano Zodias Baitcaster I bought last year. The carbon fiber handle sets it apart IMO compared to similar priced rods so this year I wanted to treat myself to the next level up in a spinning setup and buy a Shimano Poison Adrena, the big pricey brother above the Zodias line.

Other than a trout rod, I have never bought a high end spinning rod for bass so this would be the first for me. Unfortunately, I learned that the warranty on the Poision Adrena is just one year. While I like my pricey stuff, I just can't buy something that expensive with that kind of warranty.

Fast forward to this month, St Croix introduced the Physyx line to compete with the Poison Adrena with a similar carbon fiber handle and a bunch of high end features like titanium guides, etc. but this one has a 15 year warranty and it's built in the USA. Coincidentally, Bass Pro sent me what would net to be a $30 coupon so I thought now or never, let's see if Cabelas has any stock in the size / action I wanted, they had 1, 1 was enough. ;)

physyx.jpg

I paired it with a new Shimano Vanford 2500 reel I bought a couple of weeks ago while BP / Cabela's had their trade-in days, saving $50 on that to create what I think is the perfect bass spinning setup for me. This rod and reel setup feels lighter than just the Triumph rod without a reel it is replacing. I can't wait to get it on the water.

rr.jpg