Where are we?

MuskieGal

Prompton State Park
I am not a fan of state parks at all but luckily it wasn't too busy today. Very pretty lake! Fishing was slow. Michael had a few more than I did. I got one small rock bass and had one nice smallie on, then he jumped and spit the hook.

20220617_093559.jpg

Don

Ah you got us! I had forgotten the tall dam face at Prompton. I never fished it but was told to get my Perch there as apparently they are decent size. There have been some mighty big SMb and LMB caught in the old salmon/ice lake "Upper Woods". Not much further for you folks. Extremely lovely and not very much visited. A glacial and very deep lake it turns annually. They stock it with trout these days, Not Salmon, and some idiot but some bass in there some years ago and they are liking it. Look up Upper Woods Pond.

MB3

I had a bunch of Rock Bass by the end, a few Smallies and a Bluegill. I was trolling a crankbait and had a nice Smallie but he jumped and spit it.

Amazing water but not the activity I'd expect. Then again no pickerel. It beat being at work and we can say we fished a new lake = good day.

We were looking at Upper Woods. There is lower too? Is that one drained?

MuskieGal

Ah you got us! I had forgotten the tall dam face at Prompton. I never fished it but was told to get my Perch there as apparently they are decent size. There have been some mighty big SMb and LMB caught in the old salmon/ice lake "Upper Woods". Not much further for you folks. Extremely lovely and not very much visited. A glacial and very deep lake it turns annually. They stock it with trout these days, Not Salmon, and some idiot but some bass in there some years ago and they are liking it. Look up Upper Woods Pond.
Nice!! Thank you! We will definitely have to give that a try Don. Looks like it is fairly close to us as well which is nice.

Don

It had been partially drained as I understand. It may be back up again. Lower is the customary stained water of the typical Pokonolake. Not too deep either...Bass and Panfish lake.
Upper woods is an anomaly. It is a natural glacial lake and is 79' deep at the far end. Trout are stocked spring and fall. Bass are rare but big on occasion. Panfish are not remarkable so got there for the Trout and Bass.

Attachments

• IMG_4909.jpeg
    IMG_4909.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4910.jpeg
    IMG_4910.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

Don

Its two hrs away for me.
Pair of eagle there. They've met me at the ramp a couple time.
Also the water clarity is nice and not as typically stained as you might expect.

Last edited:

MuskieGal

Awesome! Looks like some nice trout. I love watching the eagles. We see them just about everywhere we go these days. We will definitely have to check out Upper Woods. Sounds like a nice lake.

truecrimson

Straight outta Prompton
Another top notch fisher
more fish he catches, yo his rep gets bigger
he's a top notch angler and you know this
but the poorer fishermen won't show this
But he don't give a crap he's gonna make his casts
it's not for the panfish, he's catching the bass.............