2023 Hunting Thread

Gremcat

Can’t recall if we had one last year at all. I hunted 6-7 2-3 hrs. Mornings this season. 3-4 new stands inside 30-75 yards on all sides of me. Drat! They finally found me…… After a guy came in near dark and sat in a groundblind I hadn’t seen (because it was in the neighborhood on a patio facing the road….) I decided I’d pull my stand from my favorite tree begrudgingly. Honestly I was just out there for some solitude after a rough few months of work.

The morning after Ground Blind Charlie came in I sat for a few hours then planned to pull my stand and move on. 7am that morning a buck I had not seen on any cams came in and stopped at 20 yards. Down through some brushy branches I sent an arrow. Spined him being slightly high and as he rolled I was saddened at first he looked like a very high tined young 10 we have around. I mostly want mature deer and this year target was a 6 pt with all the others “mounters” for neighbors. I don’t mount them and hate to take that away from my neighbors.

As he kicked and rolled to me he was noticeably wider than the young deer. At first I thought I’d gotten redemption on the old fat 8 pt I shot over last year @ 18 yards.

As I waited for him to kick out I saw what I thought was a doe 35-40 yards behind me on the far side of the gravel path. I had to stand and spin 180 in a climber. Not easy to do quietly. Worse that my harness wouldn’t let me lol. It was a show 30’ up in that tree. I made the hard shot and punched both tags inside 30 mins. IMG_8215.jpegIMG_8201.jpegIMG_8188.jpegIMG_8212.jpeg

Gremcat

Hunted near guts a few days thinking it might attract the many bears here but it’s an off year. Not just with the new hunter pressure but even on house cams. I’ve only had 3 bears around a single time or two in months now. Usually from my stand I see 4-5 in a week or two.

Melvinp

Can’t recall if we had one last year at all. I hunted 6-7 2-3 hrs. Mornings this season. 3-4 new stands inside 30-75 yards on all sides of me. Drat! They finally found me…… After a guy came in near dark and sat in a groundblind I hadn’t seen (because it was in the neighborhood on a patio facing the road….) I decided I’d pull my stand from my favorite tree begrudgingly. Honestly I was just out there for some solitude after a rough few months of work.

The morning after Ground Blind Charlie came in I sat for a few hours then planned to pull my stand and move on. 7am that morning a buck I had not seen on any cams came in and stopped at 20 yards. Down through some brushy branches I sent an arrow. Spined him being slightly high and as he rolled I was saddened at first he looked like a very high tined young 10 we have around. I mostly want mature deer and this year target was a 6 pt with all the others “mounters” for neighbors. I don’t mount them and hate to take that away from my neighbors.

As he kicked and rolled to me he was noticeably wider than the young deer. At first I thought I’d gotten redemption on the old fat 8 pt I shot over last year @ 18 yards.

As I waited for him to kick out I saw what I thought was a doe 35-40 yards behind me on the far side of the gravel path. I had to stand and spin 180 in a climber. Not easy to do quietly. Worse that my harness wouldn’t let me lol. It was a show 30’ up in that tree. I made the hard shot and punched both tags inside 30 mins. View attachment 5788View attachment 5789View attachment 5790View attachment 5791
Heck yeah congrats

Gremcat

Flung an arrow too high over a smallish bear tonight. Snuck out irresponsibly after work for a couple hours. Bear almost got by me and I over adjusted range on a tough quartering shot. Ehh, a good evening anyway and I prefer a clean miss to tracking half across the county.

Blackcat Outdoors

That’s awesome, I get more nervous/excited when I have youth hunting with me then I ever do solo.
If I'm being 100% honest, I really don't even care if I get one anymore. I go out for her. I might not even carry a gun this year (other than my normal edc).

Blackcat Outdoors

Went out Sunday and Monday with the daughter. No luck for us. Buddy of mine got a seven point about 50yds from us. He turned left instead of right or it would have been the kiddos. She was great about it though and went to help him gut and drag it.

20231127_090923.jpg
20231127_122607_resized.jpg
20231127_151715.jpg

Blackcat Outdoors

Dang. That looks fun however. The cabin is cool
It's a good friend of mine's. We can hunt it anytime we want basically. It was hand built on that side of the creek with logs dropped there. It's only accessible by water this time of year, when the water is down you can ford the creek with a decent 4wd to get there.

20231127_130316.jpg
You basically have to cross this or ford the rapids you see down stream. We were heading that way to go watch on a drive here.

Don

It's a good friend of mine's. We can hunt it anytime we want basically. It was hand built on that side of the creek with logs dropped there. It's only accessible by water this time of year, when the water is down you can ford the creek with a decent 4wd to get there.

View attachment 5831
You basically have to cross this or ford the rapids you see down stream. We were heading that way to go watch on a drive here.
Really cool. Looks same era as the ones at PL Lower Lake. Do I see a little H&R Topper w/scope? I grew up with them.

Blackcat Outdoors

Really cool. Looks same era as the ones at PL Lower Lake. Do I see a little H&R Topper w/scope? I grew up with them.
Wow, lol

Yep, that's the daughters rifle. It was my father's, I took it out the first year or two with him. He gave it to her, when she took an interest in hunting. It's a 30-30 bought new circa 72/73 or so.

Don

Oh I guess I missed that and was looking at the Breakopen Shotgun in front of it. My first deer was taken with my Brothers brand new Marlin 336A (long barrel) 30-30. in 74 or 75...he was frustrated by that.