2023 Lineup

Don

I'm excited for a few members and the new gear they've picked up or made over the winter. I would sure like to see each and every one of you list your rod and reel lineups for 2023. Would someone start off by listing their reel and rod, line and rod strength and also what or how you primarily intend to use them. Maybe it would be easier if you just listed your top two.

Solitario Lupo

Savage gear browser xh baitcaster, Okuma Komodo 463, 80lb braid to a 80lb afw wire leader big fish

hook and hackle fly, 10wt, redington behemoth, fly line 20lb mono 30lb afw wire leader. Muskie or big bass

Cabelas or guide series, Okuma and guide series reel class 3 or 4, 10lb mono. Cat/carp

Nothing new. For me.

A-5

Ravin matrix with a shimano Clarus 12’11” rod. With 12lb magna thin and 6lb blue label

Don

Savage gear browser xh baitcaster, Okuma Komodo 463, 80lb braid to a 80lb afw wire leader big fish

hook and hackle fly, 10wt, redington behemoth, fly line 20lb mono 30lb afw wire leader. Muskie or big bass

Cabelas or guide series, Okuma and guide series reel class 3 or 4, 10lb mono. Cat/carp

Nothing new. For me.
Well the Okuma would be new to me. Sounds heavy duty.

A-5

I have three.

Ones a bit big a cabelas works good but I like small reels.

Shimano sierra. Complete crap I lost a 10lb er on it because the drag doesn’t make noise.

Ones I’m using my friend Dave gave to me it’s a Dicks combo Wild something works fine.

Don

Awesome.

I’m old fashioned in that I like audible feedback. My son is completely quiet. No anti reverse and 2lb test. I can’t take that.

truecrimson

The Shimano combo I got for a previous Christmas. The one TS recommended.

Daiwa minis spins

Daiwa mini casts with those Bass Pro formula reels I got for them this past Christmas.

6lb line for the spinning gear and 17 for the bait casters. All mono. The 6 is Bass Pro, I forget what the 17 is.

Until the line runs out, then I might try something 10 or 12 instead of the 17. I bought the line at the height of the shutdowns and it was pretty much all that I could get so I bought a fair amount of it.

Don

I think it was Michael that mentioned seige a yr or two ago. If it has to be mono I choose seige. No line lays like it.
I’m running their Advanced Copoly on my spring crankbait rod/reel. That will become my skipping/pitching rig once the weeds come on in June.

Last edited:
Reactions: MB3

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I tried to reply to this but as I got 5 paragraphs in, I realized I have issues. I mean, I’ve always known I’ve had issues but to voluntarily document them is another level.

Let’s just say I have issues and plan to fish a lot of faster moving baits this year as I miss that style of fishing from when I use to wild trout spin fish.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
To expand on my earlier comment. I am looking to throw Chatterbaits, Spinbaits, Swim Jigs, T-Rigs and even some Crank Baits this year. I believe the Pros call it junk fishing.

Using Livescope the last few years, I slowed down my presentations to trick a few fish on the screen, it worked well but I found that I am getting stuck on the same spot for 30-60 minutes and not learning much about the body of water. I am hoping to cover more water this year to learn how water in one spot is different than another based on the day's conditions and where Bass gravitate to.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’d rather fish with Crimson than use crank baits.
I agree! but before I finally commit to giving them all away, I figure I need to exhaust all possibilities. If I can find some decent success using Chatterbaits, there are similarities and then maybe it will finally make sense to me and I'll catch something with them?

My buddy Brian said he is going to primarily fish Cranks this year alongside of me so I find it intriguing. He grew up on the Perkiomen in Collegeville and said he primarily used crank baits when he was in his teens. His collection is impressive so I am hoping to learn something from him.

Don

When I was a kid I was poor. Do you know how poor I was? I was so poor that I couldn’t even fish with TC.
I had a gold Mepps in-line spinner, one rubber worm, one medium Rapala and lastly a wicked spinner called a CPSwing. I also had #6 eagle claw baitholder hooks. That’s it. And TC was welcome but never showed. 1965-1973.

truecrimson

I’d rather fish with Crimson than use crank baits.
I note that TS has not invited me back and Don is a tease, he talks about fishing with me but rarely does. I think only when he can't get another date. I think I am the fishing equivalent of a booty call; when all other possible options have been exhausted they will fish with me ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So you may want to reconsider and try the crank baits ;)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I note that TS has not invited me back and Don is a tease, he talks about fishing with me but rarely does. I think only when he can't get another date. I think I am the fishing equivalent of a booty call; when all other possible options have been exhausted they will fish with me ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Always room on my boat. This year though, we’re waiting until they’re active.

Blackcat Outdoors

To be fair, some of us have invited you multiple times and been stood up. I'm starting to feel like an ugly chick the week before prom. 🤣