Abu baitcaster

Don

I have a 40$ Abu. Cousin gave it to me as she could not make it work. It has either 32 or 40 lb 822 on it. I can’t seem to get on good session with it. 3 or 4 casts and I’m snarled. I’ve done all the adjustments properly and even over compensated. No luck. It seems to be a really bad casting reel. I mean, it retrieves well and will be an okay boat, reel but no casting potential.
So I have this hare brained idea that maybe it will perform with 40 to 60 lb mono. It a schmallish reel and will likely only hold 40-50 yards.
Anyone ever have a reel with these issues and how did you deal with it.

Melvinp

I only have one bait caster that I actually throw I run 10 to 15 pound mono on it and only throw heavy bait with it like spinner and buzz bait and rattle traps.I keep my settings pretty heavy just to try to manage the backlash when it happens.

Reactions: Don

Blackcat Outdoors

Try switching to braid. I only have one casting setup and it's a cheapy lews. I run 20lb braid on it and it does pretty well. I don't know too many people who run mono on a casting setup. I think they're more designed with braid in mind.

Don

Try switching to braid. I only have one casting setup and it's a cheapy lews. I run 20lb braid on it and it does pretty well. I don't know too many people who run mono on a casting setup. I think they're more designed with braid in mind.
I have 30 or 40 lb braid on it now. I read that o resized mono presents the least risk. I was hoping one of you dudes would confirm that.

Blackcat Outdoors

I have 30 or 40 lb braid on it now. I read that o resized mono presents the least risk. I was hoping one of you dudes would confirm that.
Sorry, sounds like the drag might be outta whack or something then. I'm not very good with one, so hopefully someone else can tell ya. I've actually considered selling the one I have, because I rarely if ever use it.

Solitario Lupo

Try a backing with mono then very little braid. Also I’ve said before use your thumb for better control.
Like blackcat I only have one and it’s top of the line reel and still don’t care for baitcasters.

Melvinp

Lol big difference between braid and mono on a bait caster the cost when you have to cut the nest out

Melvinp

I can say one thing about the mess that can happen with a bait caster when you do get the dreaded nest don’t pull hard on the line use your thumb and slowly work the line back and forth pulling lightly on the tail and a lot of times you can get it unraveled

Don

Pull whose tale?

I have two Kastking that are relatively nice. But this Abu is testing me, lol.

Reelpro

All different baitcasters tend to perform a little differently.

Sometimes the way you cast one doesn’t always work with another brand/model.

Some things that help , try reducing how much line is on spool, sometimes they get a bit overfilled and backlash easier.

Set spool tension at max and work your way back freer .

Use your thumb on edge of spool, not on the line itself to brake casts.

Experiment with different lb test lines, - can usually go to a heavier braid and a lighter flouro leader.

Heavier braid is much easier for removing backlashes as well.

GL

Don

Thinking I may try filling the spool half way with heavy heavy big game. Then like you say tighten'r up and backing up little at a time.
Could you talk a bit louder RealPro. You're so far up on the shield we can't hear ya. Welcome.
What is your usual quarry?