All Fighters but Which is the Best?

Don

Of all the fresh water fish that you've caught what do you think is the hardest fighting fish per pound? I used to think it was wild Brown Trout. Then for a long time I felt it was the standard Bluegill or Pumpkinseed. I've never caught Walleye. Last year I had to rethink favorably about Smallies....until I caught Hybrid Stripers...They're impressive. But in reality I think that pound for pound it is still the bluegill. And they fight all the way to the boat.
What do you think is the toughest pound for pound?

MB3

I enjoy Smallies the best. Not just the fight but taking to the air. Bluegills definitely put up a fight lb for lb. I'd imagine stripers are the tops. I need to get one so I can have a true opinion. Perch also fight pretty well.

A-5

Blue Gil’s are just designed to turn. Your reeling in essentially a sideways fish

Don

I enjoy Smallies the best. Not just the fight but taking to the air. Bluegills definitely put up a fight lb for lb. I'd imagine stripers are the tops. I need to get one so I can have a true opinion. Perch also fight pretty well.
Of the stripers I only have caught 16-17 inchers but wow. None jumped.
Perch can be okay but In Lakes they tend to swim towards you so the tug is often missing.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Pound for pound is a tough one. It's been a while since I caught a bruiser Sunny but I would imagine If I hooked a 5lb brown or a 5lb sunny, I don't think I could argue, sunny for the win.

My choice is Hybrid Striper. A few years ago we found a good pod, what fun but I distinctly remember catching a 17" Smallie in that mix, it was of comparable size to the Hybrids but was much easier to bring to the boat. I also think the Hybrid Striper fights harder than a pure bread Striper lb for lb as well.

Don

I didn't realize how hard Brown Trout fight until I moved to Easton and started fishing for wild Browns in Martin's Creek, Wow what a diff over Stockies. Catching Hybrids is like like snagging a Log. Then the log begins to move and move faster then faster, side to side, rarely hitting the surface.
A 17" Smallie is still 2lb or less...about the weight of a 13 or 14" Striper.
So to boil it down, pound for pound:
3 for Smallies
1 for Hybrid Stripers
1 for Bluegill
1 for Broken Rapalla
Special Mentions:
Chubs
Fallfish
Perch

Factory Trebles on Rapala are extremely brittle and should be replaced pretty quickly. There are numerous videos on this. Even Iceless Ice Fishermen can learn this.

Thanks for your participation in this pole 🎣

Solitario Lupo

Out of all the fish I’ve caught that were a blast to get, there’s always seems to be that one that always fights harder than the rest.
Id have to go with drum.

Don

Out of all the fish I’ve caught that were a blast to get, there’s always seems to be that one that always fights harder than the rest.
Id have to go with drum.

I had forgotten about Drum as they're rarely caught in eastern PA. They're the favorite for fight in Mid-west.

Solitario Lupo

So far every sheepshead I’ve caught has put up a great fight even the smaller ones.

A little fun fact for your what fish fights harder. If you want harder fighting fish then start fishing the rivers and stay away from lakes. ;) Fish that have to swim in stronger currents always put up a better fight.

truecrimson

So far every sheepshead I’ve caught has put up a great fight even the smaller ones.

A little fun fact for your what fish fights harder. If you want harder fighting fish then start fishing the rivers and stay away from lakes. ;) Fish that have to swim in stronger currents always put up a better fight.
Have to agree there too. Moving water is best.

Don

Yes, but I hate river fishing. For the Delaware it is not a producer. There are annual runs that could be fun but there are too many skunk days and the sizes are trifle when compared to many of the lakes I fish. Panfish are almost non existent.