All Fighters but Which is the Best?

Solitario Lupo

River fishing is hard but just like everything you gotta learn the spots that have fish. Even some of the river fish I wait till some go up creeks or smaller bodies of water. Easier to get them.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I agree about the river fishing. I am SO looking forward to fishing the Schuylkill more often this year than lakes.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Speaking of this topic. Have any of you noticed brown trout in one stream that are faster than brown trout in other streams? A local stream to me has wild browns and man they are fast! A well experienced friend agreed, about the fastest he has seen as well.

Don

You can see them both in the Martin's creek and it is remarkable. It is very obvious, when you catch them, which you have on the line. A 15" holdover is thicker and harder to hold onto than a 15 inch stockie. Some of the Holdover Brown trout have also reached well into the mid-20" range.

Last edited:

HenryDavid

We used to have a saying, when you hooked into a Susquehanna smallie, don't say "I think it's a small one" it just pisses them off and they go crazy. Smallies have a "don't give a damn" attitude.

A-5

Speaking of this topic. Have any of you noticed brown trout in one stream that are faster than brown trout in other streams? A local stream to me has wild browns and man they are fast! A well experienced friend agreed, about the fastest he has seen as well.
The bigger they get the more they just dig and make you pull them in. It’s funny. I will say. A 5lb steelhead will fight better than 10lb. They can be down right feisty. It’s also. On the fish. Some fish fight better than others. It’s weird.

Melvinp

Good flow strong fish just like people the harder they work everyday the stronger they are and water quality is also a factor of course

Gremcat

Fresh King in Salmon river took me for an 1/8th mile ride to land. Don’t recall any 3 freshwater fish prior taking an hour each to land or leaving me so wiped out.

Steelhead get an honorable mention here and yep we’ve hashed out the east coast variety doesn’t run to salt. They might not fight as long as a king but they never get tired even when you beach netting one solo that tiny bit of slack brings them right back to life.

Hardest thing I’ve ever landed in freshwater was a dinosaur of a snapper,,,, on an UL. 2x in my life actually.