Any of You Got Worms?

Don

I suspect that if a few of you don’t indeed have them that perhaps you once did.
How hard is it to raise worms? As much as I’d like to get away from using them I have ended up buying many boxes this year. Perhaps I should start raising them myself.

Advice please.

Solitario Lupo

Stop using them. 🤯

As a little kid after it rained I remember running around with and old coffee can and flashlight at night.

They are hard to keep alive as you gotta go threw them and take out dead ones pretty much everyday. Plus gotta feed them and keep the in a cold dry area.

You can buy boxes full of them on the internet but gotta fined a reputable company.

Reactions: Don

Don

Stop using them. 🤯

As a little kid after it rained I remember running around with and old coffee can and flashlight at night.

They are hard to keep alive as you gotta go threw them and take out dead ones pretty much everyday. Plus gotta feed them and keep the in a cold dry area.

You can buy boxes full of them on the internet but gotta fined a reputable company.
How long will they live in the fridge bulk if I buy them on the internet? Could I keep several hundred in the fridge?

Melvinp

Check out the Magic Worm Farm had one years ago and it worked very well but you have to take care of them and always pick the dead ones out

Don

How do you find the dead ones. It would seem that disturbing the soil may injure more and more worms. Do you dig in it or tumble it?

91to4eorkRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Don

Ahh the ole fingers trick. Well what if it was in a cylinder that tumbled like a compost bin?

Solitario Lupo

You might be disturbing the dirt and worms to much. The way I always saw it was in those foam coolers.

Plus the reason for getting the dead ones out is cause it will kill them all.

Melvinp

How do you find the dead ones. It would seem that disturbing the soil may injure more and more worms. Do you dig in it or tumble it?

91to4eorkRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
They will be on top of the bedding most times but dig the corners out once in a while to make sure one dead one will kill them all so I never put worms back in the farm I didn’t use I just pitched them and same for ones you break picking them don’t put them in. If you take care of them you can have some monster sized crawlers and they can last a very long time I’ve had worms for over a year. Tumble when possible

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

In my yard there are about a million.Everytime I move something or put a shovel in dirt I’ve a dozen crawlers. My son wanted to raise to sell. When I was a kid my uncle had a buried little wooden box and it was always kept full with crawlers. Never had to remove dead ones like I’ve read the above ground farms have to.

Just had to burn a mountain of old leaves. Tried sifting through to save crawlers but guessing a hundred probably got crisped.

Gremcat

Even on no rainy nights there are thousands in my yard. My 10 yo wanted to catch to sell. After seeing how hard they are to get free of dirt, basically as fast as you can grab what amounts to a 1” stub, then gentle pressure until they relax muscles and pull free. Much easier to catch them under rocks and logs here. Your welcome to take a 5 Gal Pail 🪣 load from here if you’d like.

Gremcat

If it’s real dry like now just run a sprinkler or hose a few minutes about an hour before dark. The red flashlights work better than bright white too.

Don

Yes they are not out in my yard until the ground cools a bit and the moisture returns. I have considered growing them and may well do so. But I've sent this whole year, with a few exceptions, learning to catch with artificial, its cleaner and less dinks.