Darn

Don

I did it. I convinced myself That A-5 was right......about something. I convinced myself to get it once and for all. Then, on arrival, in the line aisle, money in hand Dicks was out of 6lb Blue label! I think it was a sign....pretty sure anyway.

Reactions: MB3

MB3

Try sufix siege 6lb. I swear by it. Not that A-5 is wrong but of it isn't sufix it isn't right lol

Don

Thanks to you Seige became My favorite line. But it is not floro. I thought only floro for leaders. If you hearby swear it better than any of the floros then I'll buy it for leaders. 6 and 8 lb Seige or Suffix Elite is my normal line but always in orange of chartreuse.

Don

I have been reading more and more where prominent fishermen are claiming that they see no difference in their catch ratios when comparing btwn Mono and Floro.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have been reading more and more where prominent fishermen are claiming that they see no difference in their catch ratios when comparing btwn Mono and Floro.

I would have to argue context. They all have their place depending on the scenario. What are you trying to achieve?

Don

Yes, context.
1) I like to catch pickerel. They say on sites that mono 10lb or above is okay for them…no steel needed. I rather concur.
2) I fish at Merrill Creek where salmon and trout abound. Brother 5 Insists upon 6lb seaguar for leader.
3) I don’t want to lose any pickerel that I by-catch while fishing for trout. Will 10lb seaguar be a good compromise. Or shall I just stay with Seige 10lb mono?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Yes, context.
1) I like to catch pickerel. They say on sites that mono 10lb or above is okay for them…no steel needed. I rather concur.
2) I fish at Merrill Creek where salmon and trout abound. Brother 5 Insists upon 6lb seaguar for leader.
3) I don’t want to lose any pickerel that I by-catch while fishing for trout. Will 10lb seaguar be a good compromise. Or shall I just stay with Seige 10lb mono?

In this instance, I would probably stay with Mono unless the water is Gin Clear and the Trout / Salmon spooked. If that is the case, tie on a Floro leader worthy of stealth in those conditions.

Don

Well that’s what I was thinking. I’m catching these fish as deep as 40’ and I doubt they see color or line that deep. The water is pretty clear as I see the bottom at 10-12 ‘.
My normal main line is Suffix Seige is 8lb and so a piece of 10 mono onto the end will make a great pickerel proof tippet I think.
Okay. Problem Sol ved.

pabassman

Yes, context.
10# mono is no match for pickerel teeth. I've had 17# bitten thru with just a tap. No hookset, no battle. Just a tap and 7" worm, hook, sinker gone. You're looking for a perfect combination that just doesnt exist. If you're fishing for pickerel, use pickerel appropriate tackle. If you're fishing trout, use trout appropriate tackle. The guys that fish trout on Harveys run a 4 -6# floro leader. They get fish up to 10#s, 4 -7 fairly common. I don't know anybody that really targets pickerel in open water but some do on the ice. 20-25# floro leader is there go to. Most dont run wire because they are hoping for bass too. We've gone thru this. The up north folks that get a lot of northerns all run wire or very heavy floro. There are plenty of claims about using Leader material, not just floro line. Supposed to be made different.

Don

Rain on my Parade, huh? lol. So what your saying is don't listen to the internet. Been there before. I've done well with 10 and 12lb mono but in open water and not ice. Always little guys too, never keeper size.

Don

10# mono is no match for pickerel teeth. I've had 17# bitten thru with just a tap. No hookset, no battle. Just a tap and 7" worm, hook, sinker gone. You're looking for a perfect combination that just doesnt exist. If you're fishing for pickerel, use pickerel appropriate tackle. If you're fishing trout, use trout appropriate tackle. The guys that fish trout on Harveys run a 4 -6# floro leader. They get fish up to 10#s, 4 -7 fairly common. I don't know anybody that really targets pickerel in open water but some do on the ice. 20-25# floro leader is there go to. Most dont run wire because they are hoping for bass too. We've gone thru this. The up north folks that get a lot of northerns all run wire or very heavy floro. There are plenty of claims about using Leader material, not just floro line. Supposed to be made different.
So, What do you think then about the leader even being visible in the deep water where I'm after the Trout? Maybe at the depth where they are at 20lb floro would not be an issue...not be visible.

pabassman

So, What do you think then about the leader even being visible in the deep water where I'm after the Trout? Maybe at the depth where they are at 20lb floro would not be an issue...not be visible.
Idk? Only one way to find out. Run one with 20 and one light line and see what happens.Years back I fshed the river a lot for walleye. I've hook a fair share of musky and some northerns. Lost more than I landed due to bite offs. Didn't matter because I was chasing eyes. 6-8# line. I knew the chances of landing a toothy was slim but thats how it goes. Running wire would have about eliminated any eyes.

A-5

Well we are running noodle rods so maybe the 6lb has a chance. So

Don’t know if I have the energy. Well here is the short version

1-The line industry is full of absolute crap.
2- once you get over 8lb it all runs together
3- it’s all about strength x diameter

What’s the strongest smallest line I can buy

It’s been tested it’s seaguar blue and gold label. 6lb test at .007. Bottom line thinnest strongest line out there.

Red label and STS 6lb absolutely junk