Double hook line

Don M

Does anyone use a double loop (2 hooks) line? If so I want to fish for fluke using gulp mullet, but want to get away from circle hooks. What type and size do you use, if you do this?

Don

Funny you should ask as I've been thinking of using two under a float with with small jig tipped W/wax worms. Are the Gulp Mullet real Mullet cured in their special liquid?

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I use to use a Spro Jig as the weight and then a 5/0 Octopus Hook about 2’ above on a drop loop but I just stay with an individual Spro now because I believed I get better hook ups that way. Regardless, you could use a weight on the bottom, whatever conditions permit and do two dropper loops above with Octopus hooks.

Solitario Lupo

Whats wrong with circle hooks just wondering. Also I’m guessing you want a tandem rig of some sort. Can always try the swivel that is three sided.

Don M

I want the bait straight on the hook. Plus I find it hard to thread the mullet on a circle hook. I couldn't grasp how to tie the knot to keep the loop from twisting around the line while fishing. So I'm trying shrink tube, with a small split shot, to keep the tube down at the line.

Attachments

• rig1.jpg
    rig1.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 5
  • rig2.jpg
    rig2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 5
  • Mullet hooked.jpg
    Mullet hooked.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 5

Don M

I have a question. As you see I made the double hook rigs. The orginal plan was 2 hooks and the weight on the bottom. Now I'm thinking 2 hooks and a 2oz jig head in the bottom. 1 hook white 1hook pink and the jig head white gulp. Question is are 3 hooks allowed in NJ?

Don M

Went fluke fishing today at Point Plasant Manasquan inlet. Took 3 od the prototype double hook rigs, and they worked better than ecpected!! And also only lost one. Used 4" gulp white, pink and chartreuse gulp on the bottom hook, and spearing on top most of the time. Ended up getting 11 fluke 2 keepers 17 & 18 inches. The fish hit the spearing, did get one on the chartreuse. It was a good day, but the wind was stronger than I would have liked.

Attachments

• 17  and 18 inch flounder.jpg
    17 and 18 inch flounder.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Went fluke fishing today at Point Plasant Manasquan inlet. Took 3 od the prototype double hook rigs, and they worked better than ecpected!! And also only lost one. Used 4" gulp white, pink and chartreuse gulp on the bottom hook, and spearing on top most of the time. Ended up getting 11 fluke 2 keepers 17 & 18 inches. The fish hit the spearing, did get one on the chartreuse. It was a good day, but the wind was stronger than I would have liked.
Some nice eats there for sure. I just got off the phone with a friend, hoping to get out Saturday, last day of Sea Bass but we also have a friend who Tuna fishes. Not my thing but I have a spot. We shall see…