Dumb Question Day

Don

I you hated wire leader and bite tippet, and insisted upon using mono for a bite tippet, what is the lightest test you would use for this with 30” Northerns? I probably asked this before. Please be patient.

truecrimson

I have never caught a northern.

I can only address this with my personal experience with pickerel. 4lb used to work fine for pickerel. Now 6lb works fine for them, as 4lb no longer works for me. The pickerel typically bit the lure (usually Rapala) or bait/hook (artificial or real). I have never had one get the line.

Solitario Lupo

I wouldn't use mono for them. Just throwing this out there that even 80lb braid can't even stand up to them teeth.

If you want something that light and maybe can get them in. Fluorocarbon line

Don

I've seen Pickerel miss a lure and turn around and hit it from the front and those times are when you need a tippet longer than the lure. I had read that 10-12 lb Mono tippets are fine for pickerel and 35lb for Northern Pike. So Sol says no to Mono.
I brought a Northern to the boat in the spring that had 8lb Seige on it. Worked fine until he fell out of the net. It was a Bass sized net and the Pike was 30-35" and stuck out half way. He fell out and the line snapped instantly. I have 25lb wire and 100lb floro but I hate wire and the floro is too large to tie daintily and we want things dainty right?
So Sol are you using for Musky, 1/4" Chain?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I don’t fish Musky but I do fish bluefish and use a 40# leader for them. It won’t last all day but it lasts long enough to see the abuse and then I put on a fresh one.

Solitario Lupo

I've pulled in and got them in on 6 to 10 lb mono but once they saw me and net gone. I got tired of losing them around 40in fish so upgraded and have no problems now.

Solitario Lupo

I went with afw wire and make my own wire leaders. Got it in 20lb and I think 80lb. With bigger lures works great but I might change it up for live and smaller baits. Going fluoro if I do.

Don

I don’t fish Musky but I do fish bluefish and use a 40# leader for them. It won’t last all day but it lasts long enough to see the abuse and then I put on a fresh one.
That’s how I handle 8 or 10 lb for pickerel. For blues the line is often abbraided several feet up the line as they often attack bait head on.