Fall and Salmon

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Looks like they are coming quickly. There are reports of a couple salmon being caught in the DSR the other day. I hate to wish away my summer but I am looking forward to fall this year. Using my body as a piece of cheese against a cheese grater and gearing up to seeing my daughter off have made this summer something I don’t want to look back upon. :(

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I picked up a new rod for this season. Nothing special, just a Bass Pro Fish Eagle but I thought at $79.99 it was a great price for the perceived quality of it. The real quality will be realized streamside and I hope it lives up to my initial impressions.

A-5

I have a fish eagle. It’s been great it owes me nothing. But that was a cabelas version. Not a bass pro. Last year I went with the fly rod. Bought a behemoth and a Riversider. Great little combo.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have a fish eagle. It’s been great it owes me nothing. But that was a cabelas version. Not a bass pro. Last year I went with the fly rod. Bought a behemoth and a Riversider. Great little combo.
I demo’d that exact Riverside combo the other day at a friends house. With a weighted leader, the accuracy and efficiency was impressive. I had thoughts of making the switch but I make 1, maybe 2 trips a year up there and I went cheap.

truecrimson

I love it. Other than waders, this is literally everything I need for Salmon fishing. Why do I make Bass fishing so complicated?

View attachment 5641
Because the fish are more complicated and catching them is more complicated. You know exactly where the salmon will be, mostly when they will be there, and what they will be doing. Tell me where the bass are in Blue Marsh right now and what they are up to. How will that change by this afternoon? By 5 PM? By sundown? And I didn't even specify SM, LM, or striped.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Laugh my ever loving butt off don’t worry it’s only the beginning and you’ll be spending money soon.First is the spin rod then maybe the fly or pin but it never ends
For the most part, in general fishing, yep! I’ve been pretty disciplined with Salmon though as I just don’t spend enough time doing it to justify spending any more. The reel is the most expensive part but I already had that for bass and salt fishing. That Stradic CI4 is a workhorse!

Gremcat

Can’t believe it’s here already. Was thinking of getting a trip in but now i have to decide what to do.
SL, I have about a million Hilton points which work for Tailwater. I just can’t catch a weekend off. New site starts 9/30 then close and consolidate two into it. I had thought maybe late oct but not looking good.

I did discover the site is close to Root river in Racine WI. I leave out 9/18 or sooner and likely won’t get back until November. You can come on out and I’ll put you up in Wisconsin. I’m carrying my travel rod, albeit maybe overkill since it’s for Mahi/Sharks/Tuna and my centerpin. Maybe my new 8wt too.

They have a Chinook run and a Coho run also. Looks like some huge steelhead but bad limits are excessive.