Favorite Defender

MB3

I was looking at a new rod, something different and I got just that today. Reviews look decent, got an 18% off coupon and took the plunge. Normally I research every purchase except today so I don't know if it's a good purchase or a waste of money?

So far I can say the quality looks and feels impressive. I paired it with Quantum Accurist and 10lb Sufix mono (of course). 7'3" fast action. Colors are outside my typical but the company was started by ex military so that explains a lot.

Hoping to try it out tomorrow. First yak outing if the winds stay low way early.
PXL_20220415_210042294.jpgPXL_20220415_210054931.jpgPXL_20220415_210101639.jpgPXL_20220415_210203558.jpgPXL_20220415_211722760.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220415_210138504.jpg
    PXL_20220415_210138504.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

MB3

Well we got our first yak trip in. Of course it was windy and it rained which is great fun, not. The rod was excellent, as good as anything I have owned previously. Casts smooth, you feel every little bump and good back bone. I liked it so much I might find something medium action. So far so good...

MB3

Cool. And welcome yak to the yakside ;)
I'll be honest. My back is killing me, paddling 6-7 times for one cast before you paddle again is frustrating.

Ever see the Ascend 133x? I'm liking the idea of a trolling motor powered yak more and more (just not the price tag).

Reactions: A-5

truecrimson

I'll be honest. My back is killing me, paddling 6-7 times for one cast before you paddle again is frustrating.

Ever see the Ascend 133x? I'm liking the idea of a trolling motor powered yak more and more (just not the price tag).
Blackcat was looking at the Ascend pedal drives. Not sure about the trolling motor models. Ascends are too heavy for me. I'm still a car topper.

Blackcat and I were also looking into the Hoodoo and Brooklyn Kayaks peddle/motor drive models. They seem to basically be the same, and a lot of companies are offering the same yaks with their own branding, even in other countries.

If you dig deep enough into the reviews some people say they aren't really stable for larger people.

I forget, what kayaks do you have now?

MB3

Blackcat was looking at the Ascend pedal drives. Not sure about the trolling motor models. Ascends are too heavy for me. I'm still a car topper.

Blackcat and I were also looking into the Hoodoo and Brooklyn Kayaks peddle/motor drive models. They seem to basically be the same, and a lot of companies are offering the same yaks with their own branding, even in other countries.

If you dig deep enough into the reviews some people say they aren't really stable for larger people.

I forget, what kayaks do you have now?
I have a Feelfree Lure 11.5 and Shiela has Perception Pescador Pro. We had Shadow Casters before them. They were barges, Gander Outdoors was closing and had crazy clearance pricing so we gave them a try. Definitely lighter but track like garbage. We were spinning out of control today.

truecrimson

I'm surprised. I would have thought the lures would track better.

The Pescadors were originally Wilderness Sytems molds. I can't remember if it was the early Rides or the old Tarpons. Wilderness sold the molds to perception years ago when they upgraded the hull, and I think tra king was part of the reason for the upgrade.

If you have a trailer and it fits your budget the Ascend looks pretty good. You can put whatever motor on it you like and upgrade or replace the motor at any time, unlike with some of the kayaks that have a proprietary motor and/or motor mount. You can also mount it front or rear.

If I end up not getting a boat I will probably try to get a peddle/motor kayak. There's a lot of ,"ifs" and "yeah, buts" in there though.

Reactions: MB3

Blackcat Outdoors

I've looked at the 133x and it's a beast. Definitely needs a trailer and a friend to load that up. 😂

Seriously, I thought about it. The way I saw it, I might as well just get a Jon boat at that point and put in a casting deck. If I have to trailer it everywhere, then it kinda looses the appeal of a Kyack for me.

A lot of the pedal drives have motor pod options anymore. That's the way I'd probably go if I had the $$$.

Don

Nice rod. What weight is your go to weight for your lures. I had always thought I liked medium light rods, I thought. but it is amazing how much more accurate you can be with stiff rods and heavy lures.

MB3

Nice rod. What weight is your go to weight for your lures. I had always thought I liked medium light rods, I thought. but it is amazing how much more accurate you can be with stiff rods and heavy lures.
Metals usually 1/4 oz, for lighter lures I have other rods. This one will be perfect for top water, heavier plastics, etc. Over all medium rods cover much of what I need or do.

Don

I just picked up one of those Accurist reels in a flea Mkt. I didn't recognize it at first. You like them allot?

MB3

I just picked up one of those Accurist reels in a flea Mkt. I didn't recognize it at first. You like them allot?
I like Quantum reels. The Accurist is a good reel but not super smooth after time even with routine maintenance. My favorite reel is the S3 Smoke. I think I have 6-7 reels from Quantum including salt.

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

Marty Zoffinger just got the new Pelican Catch Mode 110.

Pre drilled for a transom mount. Comes with the skeg/skeg mount. Transom mount is $80. Seat looks decent.

Kayak +/- $739 weighs 63 pounds

transom mount

MB3

My Feelfree Lure has a pod in the center. Right now it has a fish finder mounted to it but they have a pedal drive. I wish I could find that used some where cheap.

Don

I like Quantum reels. The Accurist is a good reel but not super smooth after time even with routine maintenance. My favorite reel is the S3 Smoke. I think I have 6-7 reels from Quantum including salt.
FE550281-E78A-4AAD-9383-52F76887CFD3.jpeg
Second look mine is an Incyte not the higher end Accurist. Still it is of fair quality.

Reactions: MB3