Harveys Lake

Don

Is that private. It’s another lake where folks have recommended me go for big pickerel and giant Gills.

pabassman

Is that private. It’s another lake where folks have recommended me go for big pickerel and giant Gills.
99% private. Hundreds of docks ring the lake. State launch is the only real access. There's big everything in Harveys. Can be a tough lake. Almost 700 acres, 9 miles around, 90+' deep. LOTS of alewives.

Don

Are Alewive good or bad. Are they food for everything or do they compete with everything. Are they why I've heard that the Pickerel are larger there or was I told a myth?

pabassman

They're a non native part of the eco system. Like everything else, pro and cons. Lots of lakes around here have them now. Harveys, Pack, Slocum, Lilly, Duck Harbor. All were good lakes before alewives, most as good or better after.

Melvinp

I’ve got a question did a little research and alewives are a native species to the Atlantic Ocean and they reproduce like wild salmon swimming from salt to fresh water in Maine wild #s of alewives are dropping so my question is is this Mother Nature doing her thing or is this a imported version of the alewives same deal with gobies some version of them has already been here the hole whole time

pabassman

Fish Commish denies stocking them in Pa. I don't know many people that believe that. They appeared in lakes around around here about the same time so random arrivals seems odd. I'm sure fishermen put them and some walleyes in Lake Silkworth since thats basically private.

Solitario Lupo

I think as for the round gobies it was an invasive saltwater fish that could adapt to freshwater. Heard someone threw it in out of their tank. Just like the saltwater lampreys but we have freshwater lampreys. All in all they still compete for same food. Just invasive starts to take over
As for alewife different species??

truecrimson

I think a lot of Gobies came in the bilges of big ships

Yeah here we go, Al Gore's intarwebz to the rescue

Means of Introduction: Ballast water (BOB)

truecrimson

Fish Commish denies stocking them in Pa. I don't know many people that believe that. They appeared in lakes around around here about the same time so random arrivals seems odd. I'm sure fishermen put them and some walleyes in Lake Silkworth since thats basically private.

Sounds like an admission to me

The Alewife has been introduced into larger reservoirs in the state as a forage species for large game fish.

truecrimson

From the alewife section of the Fish and Boat commission page

It has become established in all the Great Lakes, including the Pennsylvania portion of Lake Erie. It was first reported in Lake Ontario in the 1870s, there either by accidental introduction or by making its way through water routes from New York’s Finger Lakes, the St. Lawrence River or the Erie Canal. By 1931, the Alewife was reported in Lake Erie, having bypassed Niagara Falls via the Welland Canal. As a food fish for larger game fish, Alewives have also been stocked in impoundments across the state. They have also been accidentally spread as escapees from fishermen’s bait buckets.

Its small size, large schools and availability to openwater game fish have made the Alewife suited for stocking in some inland reservoirs as a forage fish. It has been introduced in Pennsylvania for that purpose in some of our larger impoundments.

Solitario Lupo

Since taking about alewives and herrings. There’s another out that I can’t stand is gizzards shad. Had a lake that I fished has some nice large mouth in it but with the shad they are harder to get. Must be eating healthy.

Melvinp

Today’s report 2 smallmouth and a rocky nothing trolling started to get the jig going pretty good then the wind picked up and it was the end of that but didn’t get skunked on the new water marked some nice spots for next time did get to eat pizza at grottos though (hint hint) could see it from the water in a certain spot

Attachments

• E415E7B2-19C5-42FF-889D-83A786C4F581.jpeg
    E415E7B2-19C5-42FF-889D-83A786C4F581.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 10

pabassman

You're out off a flat. Shallow with good size rocks and some scattered weeds. It drops on three sides.Drop quick to the 30s then into the 50s off the outside edge. It goes from the boathouse on your left shoulder for about 100 feet to the left.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Today’s report 2 smallmouth and a rocky nothing trolling started to get the jig going pretty good then the wind picked up and it was the end of that but didn’t get skunked on the new water marked some nice spots for next time did get to eat pizza at grottos though (hint hint) could see it from the water in a certain spot
Nice! And I love Grottos, both south and that one. ;)

Melvinp

You're out off a flat. Shallow with good size rocks and some scattered weeds. It drops on three sides.Drop quick to the 30s then into the 50s off the outside edge. It goes from the boathouse on your left shoulder for about 100 feet to the left.
I found out pretty quick how much fishing pressure the lake gets when I watched my jig drop on the electronics and watch the fish swim away.I’ve been spoiled fishing these little farm ponds where it’s nothing to catch 20 panfish and maybe a few 3 pounder bass lol

Reactions: A-5

HenryDavid

I found out pretty quick how much fishing pressure the lake gets when I watched my jig drop on the electronics and watch the fish swim away.I’ve been spoiled fishing these little farm ponds where it’s nothing to catch 20 panfish and maybe a few 3 pounder bass lol
Those farm ponds are where it's at. I could never handle the busy lakes, lol, I keep as far away as possible.