Help me identify what I have

Don

I'm planning goals and strategies for 2023 and I want to make sure that I actually know what I have. I pick allot of stuff up at shows but and I never know what they are until I am told or after I investigate.Chatter baits and Spinner baits are the last frontier for me I realize youre all in the midst of buying me gifts right now, I don't blame you, but maybe after the holidays, as you reflect and recover, perhaps you can tell me what these are and if I should use them or not. For 2024 I plan to have one of each of what worked, from 2018 and on,in my bag and I'll leave the rest at home.
The focus, as alway is Pickerel and Panfish with Bass as collateral damage all caught in heavy weeds.

So what are they?
1)
2)
3)
FullSizeRender 3.jpeg

Don

Do I need to put skirts onto the buzz? Are they worth it for just above the weeds in June ?

HenryDavid

A little trailer is pretty much standard on those. I don't fish buzz baits but had a friend that swore by them for top water bass. I've always stuck with jitterbug, hula popper or balsa poppers on the fly rod. One thing I pointed out to him while we were fishing top water for bass was that there's no way he can pause the retrieve on his buzz baits and have it stay on top.

Reactions: Don

Don

Some of the videos mentioned “don’t stop or you’re stuck”. I don’t care for gimmicky things but it is mentioned that topwater buzzbaits are one of the few thing good for exhausted post spawn bass.

Don

I hear Buzzbaits are pretty good for Pike and Pickerel. I'm cruising the internet for good recommendations on skirts and trailers.

Solitario Lupo

I don't do trailers on buzz. Just skirt.
Haven't tried for pike. Mostly great for bass.

I hear those whopper plopper is working great for those toothy

Don

My son bought a Plopper for Bass and the bass haven't had any interest. Its so bad that Billy Bass started throwing rocks and yelling slurrs at him. So we think Toothy is the ticket for ploppers. Timing, i.e. time of the year and where the bait is, is important as well.
With the buzz baits I see on internet tutorials some are saying that if you elect to skip the trailer you'll fair better...especially if you add a stinger or trailing hook. One guy went on to say that no matter how you use these , with or without a trailer, that for some reason the bass short strike at Buzzbaits' allot. He said a stinger will increase your catch. Shown is what he uses:
IMG_5589.jpeg

Don

When needed does anyone buy their skirts finished or do you make them up from individual colors and strand from Barlows and the likes? Are you happy with the rubber banded type like you see in the photo above?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
When needed does anyone buy their skirts finished or do you make them up from individual colors and strand from Barlows and the likes? Are you happy with the rubber banded type like you see in the photo above?
This is a skirt I bought earlier this year. I bought them in several different colors and I have been very happy with them. I would buy them again. Making them yourself is pretty simple but this is a no-nonsense, grab them while in the act of fishing and run with it.

HenryDavid

My son bought a Plopper for Bass and the bass haven't had any interest. Its so bad that Billy Bass started throwing rocks and yelling slurrs at him. So we think Toothy is the ticket for ploppers. Timing, i.e. time of the year and where the bait is, is important as well.
With the buzz baits I see on internet tutorials some are saying that if you elect to skip the trailer you'll fair better...especially if you add a stinger or trailing hook. One guy went on to say that no matter how you use these , with or without a trailer, that for some reason the bass short strike at Buzzbaits' allot. He said a stinger will increase your catch. Shown is what he uses:
View attachment 4522
Try that plopper at night. Your buzz bait may be a little more subtle.