I'm learning about spinners

Don

The term "Crawler Rig" is tossed about on numerous sites that tolerate me. The term leaves me confused (and it doesn't take much). I think I would like to make a rig like one guy from up north in the G. Lakes makes for walleye. To the bitter end he adds a bead, a blade, 6 more beads, a size 1 or 2 circle and 3-4 " after that a #6 bait holder or treble as a stinger. I've seen these for plastics. But knowing that plastics don't catch fish;) I'll be using large live crawlers or shiners. This will be for cold water mostly. Walleye, Lakers and Stripers with a few smb and lmb.

My preferred style of fishing has been and will likely always be shallow water fishing for Panfish and Pickerel. Whether Fly, spinning or spincast the edges and around weeds has been my favorite places to fish. But now the fish are about gone and are only to be found in the deep or suspended. I see a need to add trolling to my arsenal of tricks and the rig above is one of several I'm asking your opinion on.

The plans call for the spinner to be a Colorado shape in sizes 3-6. Is there a better shape you might recommend? The rigs will be tied ahead of time and wound onto foam tubing for storage. I've not decided how long to make the leaders but I've seen 1-6' mentioned. Leader size itself will be 10 or 12 lb mono and that may cost me some action with trout but I'm sure the Walleye, Stripers, Pickerel and Bass won't care.

A-5, I know, I know, you catch all of your fish on 6lb floro, blah, blah, blah. But I know better. I went to Pennridge.

Lets hear from you all.

truecrimson

No advice to give but big deep lake guys swear by them. And I have never read an article where someone used plastics for that. It was always actual crawlers, mullet, ir weird salt water baits.

Solitario Lupo

They’ve been around for years but how good do they work. That’s the ?

Worm harness can be used with a plastic worm but the real thing is used for scent.
All I know is that they are mostly used for walleye and trolling.

HenryDavid

They work, I've caught walleye on them, I had a friend from Montana that had dozens of the rigs, he said they swear by them for pike.

Don

I just found a rig that has Melvin written all over it.

Attachments

• Cowbell-trolling-rig-for-lake-trout.png 2 copy.jpg
    Cowbell-trolling-rig-for-lake-trout.png 2 copy.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 5

Don

My thoughts as well Sol.But what do I know? Its supposed to bring fish in from far out as you troll deep water in Great Lakes. Cover more acreage/pass.
I was with the Tunk Gang recently and it is amazing how quickly a big lake can seem small when three guys are trolling/casting. I'm afraid this would really get me in trouble.

Solitario Lupo

Any kinda trolling is good always cover a lot of water.
As for that thing you posted Don is supposed to like a school of baitfish.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

Example and 6 lds floro.This is when the plastic blades you talked about before come into play they are very light and spin under very slow speeds like .5 mph and below.Worm rigs are kinda funny you build them light and even add floats then drag them behind a sinker

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

truecrimson

You
Example and 6 lds floro.This is when the plastic blades you talked about before come into play they are very light and spin under very slow speeds like .5 mph and below.Worm rigs are kinda funny you build them light and even add floats then drag them behind a sinker
You want to get them to a specific depth and then have neutral buoyancy and stay on plane?

Melvinp

You

You want to get them to a specific depth and then have neutral buoyancy and stay on plane?
Yep depth depends on terrain and fish height from bottom general rule is fish look up so start trolling above them and work your way down so if you see fish at 15 ft on your tv start trolling at 12 and work your way down. I’m no expert but I’m learning as fast as I can.

Last edited:

Melvinp

Kinda funny I’m basing all this info on trolling for walleye on worm rigs and haven’t caught 1 yet lol but I’m trying lot to learn