Kayak Camping Gear

truecrimson

Blackcat and I may try some kayak fishing/camping this year. I camped as a kid into my 20s probably. It ranged from "Crap, we forgot the tent! Oh well." all the way to a fully equipped trailer by the end of it. My brother and I also did some camping as "Indian Guides" which was the YMCA version of boy scouts. That was all a long time ago

In the, ahem, 30 years since, the most I have done is sleep in a tent in a commercial campground.

What gear do you guys recommend? Brands, particular items? I am basically going to be starting from scratch and have no idea what is good, or good enough these days.

What kind of food do you take along for this?

I'll be using the Ride 135 as the yak (13.5 feet ~500 pound capacity) for this so I have some storage space.

Last edited:

Blackcat Outdoors

Well, right up my alley. 😁

A lot of my gear is dual purpose from kyacking/canoes and backpacking, so I have some pretty light expensive gear. If you've got a 500lb capacity, you probably don't have to worry as much about weight. I like to keep stuff light for when I'm carrying it on my back.

After years on the ground I switched to hammocks a few years ago. I can say it definitely gives me a better nights sleep then laying on the ground. Anyone going that route you'll need a decent hammock probably 10ft if you're over 5'9" or so and top and bottom quilts. I prefer synthetic for on the water over down filled gear, because if it gets wet in an emergency synthetic can still give you warmth, where down us useless. Bug netting is a must along the water too or mosquitoes will eat you alive. I can give you some better ideas if you want to try that route.

Tents are going to be easier if that's what you're used to. Weight isn't as much an issue, as volume is. I like a 2 person tent for just me, but I take a 4 person if the whole family is going. I'd avoid most of the crap tents at Walmart if there's any chance of rain at all. I've yet to see one not get water inside in even a moderate storm.

Either tent or hammock and tarp, plan on 100-150 bucks for something that will actually keep you dry overnight.

Quilts or sleeping bag, look for something that will pack down small. Same as the tent. I like to fit my sleeping gear in a 20 litre dry sack, so it stays dry even if you roll it. This might be important to you TS from the stories I've heard. 😜

Food, kinda depends on how indepth you want to get with cooking. Personally, I eat a lot of dehydrated stuff if I'm by myself. It's easy and you just need to be able to boil water to cook it. If I'm going with a group, we'll bring burgers or steaks or etc and do them on a camping grill. I have an older Coleman two burner for this, but there's others out there or you can always bring a great and cook over a fire. I always bring a small backpacking stove for coffee at least though. I like the BRS 3000t. It's super small works for boiling water. Remember, coolers take up a ton of space and weight, so the smaller you can get away with the better.

Other musts for me:
Water filter; I use the swayer squeeze. Filtering water as you need it is way easier than carrying it all for a trip.

Camp shoes;. Something other than the wet shoes I have in the kyack all day.

Camping chair: way better on my old backside than sitting on a log.

Some kind of pack, if there's any portaging possible. I hate making multiple trips back and fourth to the boat to carry gear. Doesn't need to be expensive.

For an example this is a pretty good tent for the cost: Zion 1P, 2P and 3P Backpacking Tent
They have a pretty decent sleeping pad too:ReCharge S Insulated Sleeping Pad

Here's another decent budget tent: Amazon.com

And a cheaper pad:Amazon.com

There's others out there, but those I've seen good reviews on. I have and have used that pad before too and it's not the greatest, but beats the hell outta laying on the ground.

truecrimson

I have a Katadyn Hiker water filter, so I can bring that.

Despite having used tents since the 1970's, I'm not a big fan of them. They have always been a PITA. I think I'd like to try the hammock route.

Reactions: A-5

Blackcat Outdoors

Recommend, please
If I was going to buy another tarp, it would be this one:Amazon.com

I plan on getting one of these aquaqest tarps here in the future. I'd recommend the one I have now by rainfly evolution, but it's been discontinued. You probably want to go with the 13' Ridgeline model, I use a 12' now and the extra room over a 10' tarp is really nice for not much more weight/bulk.

Blackcat Outdoors

I have a Katadyn Hiker water filter, so I can bring that.

Despite having used tents since the 1970's, I'm not a big fan of them. They have always been a PITA. I think I'd like to try the hammock route.
If you really want to try, before you buy, I can loan you one of my hammock setups for the trip. I have two budget setups and am buying a little more spendy one here when I get my tax return. If you want to dive head first into it, that one I linked would be my recommendation to start with. If you find you love it, you can invest in more later. I spend quite a few nights in my hammock every year, so I don't mind dropping the money for something really light and designed more for backpacking.

I can tell you, I won't go back to ground sleeping unless I absolutely have to. The almost half century on my back and knees is adverse to laying on the ground anymore. 😁

This is my spring/fall underquilt for my hammock:Snugpak Hammock Under Blanket, Insulated with Travelsoft Filling, Olive | eBay

I can absolutely recommend it even against some more expensive products. It's synthetic and a little on the heavy side, but for warmth for the money it's really hard to beat. I've slept in it with a 20° down sleeping bag at 25°f and stayed warm all night. Once it gets above 55 or so at night I switch to something lighter, so I don't get too warm.

Blackcat Outdoors

Hey man I'm in shape, round is a perfect shape. 😁

In all seriousness, I'm sick of seeing a number starting with a 3 when I hop on a scale. I have a plan I've started, but I need to get more serious about it. My biggest problem is beer has a lot of carbs and that makes me really sad. 😉

HenryDavid

I've done a few over nighters on the Susquehanna North Branch. The only problem with hammocks is that you obviously need trees to hang from. There are other tricky alternatives but if there's nothing above ground level you're pretty much stuck. River islands are pretty much hit and miss as far as counting on trees to hang from. I would highly recommend a day trip to check things out in advance. And don't hang over what might appear to be a game trail. I made that mistake along the Lackawaxen River. Possums were under me all night, even when I yelled at them they wouldn't scatter and just hissed back at me. Good times, NOT