Melvin, SL, or other Professional Flyfisher

Gremcat

Looking for a “Running Line” but not shooting style. Old WF floating line, don’t need tapered section. I’m playing around with setups and one thing I’ve noticed over a few years is my small stream setup using a fly line is great for how I fish but sometimes on rare occasions the taper shoulder I guess you call it catches a guide stalling my cast and making a general mess. I’ve shooting line and I’m going to play with Amnesia but I don’t think it floats. I don’t turn over a fly or overhead cast. Think of it more as a “controlled pitch” even occasionally feeling better than I am and pulling back on whatever I’m casting while aiming but those moments are rare. I’ve noticed if I really shorten my leader I’m Golden but my rod is 8’6” and I’m usually a few inches off it’s too short spooking did fish. The 73 yo fishing machine I silently copied uses a 9’ which would’ve been about perfect.

So what I need is an old or cut up fly line or a link to where I can buy non tapered floating line in a 5wt ish.

I know learning to use it the correct way is ideal. I am going to start going to the local fly shop for lessons soon. It’s hard to argue with my neighbors results as well as my own. Releasing something like 40 Brookies averaging 14” in a few hours on 1/8th mile of heavy pressure extremely small water. I’m still measuring inches while my neighbor measures pounds. I did notice after his line broke on a monster trout or Striper chasing them (he’s landed some 15-20 lbs in a creek they entered from a lake) he tied his leader with no tip to the main line. Rod and line look like you’d expect from a guy that fish probably 300+ days a year for 50+ years using only that rod. I think cutting my sink tip would also solve the problem but I’m not sure it won’t impact how I work through trees and log jams. I’ve actually drifted into full trees half submerged and pulled out 17-18” trout. My Bro thought it was a stunt(I sort of did too) except I repeated it 3x in a row never losing my line.

All that to say I’m really afraid of “letting the magic out” of my setup. It’s a cheapy cabelas reel and I have the Sage 4560 I can get a spare spool for and put my 5WF line on at some point. I have 0 use for drag and reallly like the Galvan Brookie with no drag/clicker. I’m trying hard to not acquire more gear though. My setup has caught probably 4 digits worth of trout from 20” down including river spawn browns and Bows, wild Brookies, and countless Smallies. I’m really hesitant to modify my existing line until I verify it’ll work and buying brand new line to hack it up seems a bit wasteful.

Gremcat

With my plans with the fly shop I also need “normal” line to learn so chopping mine is going to require buying new. I’d much prefer piecing together another solution. Worse comes to worse I’ll buy new line and chop it leaving my golden setup alone. Might be Superstitious a little LoL

Melvinp

Can’t put me in the pro league I don’t even know what kind of line is on my favorite 8ft 4wt it came in a bag of used line my nephew gave me but I do run a 10 leader of course most of my fly flipping is streamers with a little indicator mixed in. If you want a cheap non tapered line check out maxcatch

Solitario Lupo

First off thanks for putting me in the pro section but I think I’m far from one lol. My setup is a little unconventional as I run a straight main (run) line all the way threw it’s not tapered. Then I run a 20lb mono line like a foot or 2 barrel swivel. From there I can change to my small 4lb fluorocarbon for trout, then to my wire leader for muskie. For trout I’ll run a bigger tippet which will be the length of my rod 9ft.

I don’t think you really need a shooting line since it’s more for Spey rods. But if I’m understanding you want a run line that is not tapered.

Solitario Lupo

You say your casting as a controlled pitch would you say your casting more side to side. Also when you pull the line in your going past the tapered section.

WBF620

Looking for a “Running Line” but not shooting style. Old WF floating line, don’t need tapered section. I’m playing around with setups and one thing I’ve noticed over a few years is my small stream setup using a fly line is great for how I fish but sometimes on rare occasions the taper shoulder I guess you call it catches a guide stalling my cast and making a general mess. I’ve shooting line and I’m going to play with Amnesia but I don’t think it floats. I don’t turn over a fly or overhead cast. Think of it more as a “controlled pitch” even occasionally feeling better than I am and pulling back on whatever I’m casting while aiming but those moments are rare. I’ve noticed if I really shorten my leader I’m Golden but my rod is 8’6” and I’m usually a few inches off it’s too short spooking did fish. The 73 yo fishing machine I silently copied uses a 9’ which would’ve been about perfect.

So what I need is an old or cut up fly line or a link to where I can buy non tapered floating line in a 5wt ish.

I know learning to use it the correct way is ideal. I am going to start going to the local fly shop for lessons soon. It’s hard to argue with my neighbors results as well as my own. Releasing something like 40 Brookies averaging 14” in a few hours on 1/8th mile of heavy pressure extremely small water. I’m still measuring inches while my neighbor measures pounds. I did notice after his line broke on a monster trout or Striper chasing them (he’s landed some 15-20 lbs in a creek they entered from a lake) he tied his leader with no tip to the main line. Rod and line look like you’d expect from a guy that fish probably 300+ days a year for 50+ years using only that rod. I think cutting my sink tip would also solve the problem but I’m not sure it won’t impact how I work through trees and log jams. I’ve actually drifted into full trees half submerged and pulled out 17-18” trout. My Bro thought it was a stunt(I sort of did too) except I repeated it 3x in a row never losing my line.

All that to say I’m really afraid of “letting the magic out” of my setup. It’s a cheapy cabelas reel and I have the Sage 4560 I can get a spare spool for and put my 5WF line on at some point. I have 0 use for drag and reallly like the Galvan Brookie with no drag/clicker. I’m trying hard to not acquire more gear though. My setup has caught probably 4 digits worth of trout from 20” down including river spawn browns and Bows, wild Brookies, and countless Smallies. I’m really hesitant to modify my existing line until I verify it’ll work and buying brand new line to hack it up seems a bit wasteful.
Sounds like a level taper is what you are looking for, basically no taper.

The line shouldn’t be getting hung up in your guides, unless there is an issue with the line or guides, regardless of taper.

Gremcat

You say your casting as a controlled pitch would you say your casting more side to side. Also when you pull the line in your going past the tapered section.
Yes pulling in past the taper. Basically my line, leader, swivel, etc has to stay under rod length of 8’6”. With sink tip to heavy mono then swivel to a decent leader length the sink tip transition is past the guide but the mainline “head/taper” isn’t. Non taper is what I’m looking for or perhaps line I don’t feel bad cutting the tip off of. Taper may be helping me I’m not sure.

Gremcat

Kids need permits? First I heard that. My Bro and I have a plan with my 3 to get them out and find some notable Trout. Their PB prior are 19-20” Tigers and ‘Bows. We’ve never really fished youth day and they are 5, 7, 9.

Don

Does each kid actually have to start his own password and use their Ss# to apply. I went into this website and I couldn’t find a place to apply for the kids. New site is extremely controlling and narrow In What it let’s you look at. I did t see a place to apply for the mentored program.