Melvin, SL, or other Professional Flyfisher

Solitario Lupo

Yeah side to side isn’t a bad way to describe it.
First I would change the cast to a roll cast and let more line sit in the water. That should not make it reel past the tapered section. Is it tapered at both ends cause if you get a big fish on and takes it to your backing and gets stuck you’ll lose a fish. I would just trim that section.

Gremcat

Line never sits in water and even if I knew how to roll cast it wouldn’t work in the primary creek I use this setup in. Imagine standing literally inside a downed tree with a million tiny branches trying to start and stop the pocket in 2-3’ with depth range from 4”-4’ in that 2-3’. I can’t explain it that’s why I started with what I needed LoL.

Best explanation, imagine I’m not fly fishing at all because I’ve tied on one fly in my life and lost it the first cast from whipping to hard. If anything imagine it’s Tenkara or how I think that would be but in overgrowth and tiny holes using shot to hit the depth at high current.

Gremcat

That fish came out of the near side of that log in a few inches of water then ran down to another log jam after going aerial 4-5 times.

Gremcat

First off thanks for putting me in the pro section but I think I’m far from one lol. My setup is a little unconventional as I run a straight main (run) line all the way threw it’s not tapered. Then I run a 20lb mono line like a foot or 2 barrel swivel. From there I can change to my small 4lb fluorocarbon for trout, then to my wire leader for muskie. For trout I’ll run a bigger tippet which will be the length of my rod 9ft.

I don’t think you really need a shooting line since it’s more for Spey rods. But if I’m understanding you want a run line that is not tapered.
Well that’s a lesson in reading comprehension. I somehow caught your second message but not this one. That’s exactly how I’m fishing except I couldn’t find no taper line to swap from my sink tip. I was ready to swap my line backwards to be honest. I use it in a few ways but roll casting (overhead as I understand it) isn’t possible. I’ll get better pics of water but it’s like I described as real fast short pools full of recently fallen trees or log Jams. I do like that intermediate sink tip let’s me drift a few feet under brush/log jams. It might be the same with just float line to heavy mono. It might even spook less fish though it’s odd I can drift to the same fish switching depth or maybe angle slightly in high pressure no less and trigger hits. There are some areas a little more still.

I may not get to the fly shop Monday with travel to MS/TN Tuesday through Friday. After I get a few lessons though I’m real interested in picking brains.

pabassman

Kids need permits? First I heard that. My Bro and I have a plan with my 3 to get them out and find some notable Trout. Their PB prior are 19-20” Tigers and ‘Bows. We’ve never really fished youth day and they are 5, 7, 9.
No they don't. There is a voluntary youth permit you can buy. Same as the voluntary bass,musky ect permits.

Reactions: A-5

Don

It seems we do need permits:
* "Youth anglers must obtain a Mentored Youth Permit OR a Voluntary Youth Fishing License from the Commission and be accompanied by an licensed adult angler to participate.

Anglers 16 years of age or older (adult anglers) must possess a valid Pennsylvania Fishing License and a current Trout/Salmon Permit, and be accompanied by a youth (less than 16 years of age) who has obtained a Mentored Youth Fishing Permit OR a Voluntary Youth Fishing License from the Commission."

*from the PFBC website

A-5

Don pafisherman and you are both right. Youth stamp voluntarily Stamp is $3. The free one is not optional. Yes you go into website and set them up SS and all and that will be there number hunting and fishing for life.

Last edited:

Don

I thought of taking that view but i always try to follow rules when they’re reasonable. I can’t decide whether these are reasonable. Also when I called the hotline the lady that answered is in Florida. So we farmed out our State’s rights again.

pabassman

It appears you are correct. It took me a while to find that section lol. I was looking for a bit all I found was the Child Voluntary Lic.

Melvinp

Well that’s a lesson in reading comprehension. I somehow caught your second message but not this one. That’s exactly how I’m fishing except I couldn’t find no taper line to swap from my sink tip. I was ready to swap my line backwards to be honest. I use it in a few ways but roll casting (overhead as I understand it) isn’t possible. I’ll get better pics of water but it’s like I described as real fast short pools full of recently fallen trees or log Jams. I do like that intermediate sink tip let’s me drift a few feet under brush/log jams. It might be the same with just float line to heavy mono. It might even spook less fish though it’s odd I can drift to the same fish switching depth or maybe angle slightly in high pressure no less and trigger hits. There are some areas a little more still.

I may not get to the fly shop Monday with travel to MS/TN Tuesday through Friday. After I get a few lessons though I’m real interested in picking brains.
Im guessing that you are almost slingshoting your fly under the cover doesn't seen like you would even get the tapered section of line off your reel no less out of the rod.

Melvinp

Check out George Daniels dymamic nymphing he does a pretty good job of showing different casting styles to get into hard to reach places.

Gremcat

I do sometimes do that, or I pull out about enough to touch water but cast is inside 10’ mostly. No fly either, still working on that. Def need some help between roll casting and when how to apply load to rod. My hook is generally a size 4-6 as well.

WBF620

I thought of taking that view but i always try to follow rules when they’re reasonable. I can’t decide whether these are reasonable. Also when I called the hotline the lady that answered is in Florida. So we farmed out our State’s rights again.
They require it to keep track of the number of kids participating, to assist with getting additional grants from the Feds.

Don

The whole thing is set up poorly. I finally figured it out but one should not have to release their grandkids SS# to an out of state internet company. It is obvious that they think very highly of themselves and it obvious that they are really controlling us. The Feds have no money and should be ashamed for printing it during these times. Oh well, can't change it and I do now have the permits. I'm gonna fish.

Gremcat

I’m doing the same, I didn’t have my kids SS numbers handy but will do it tomorrow. The new PA License site isn’t great that’s for sure. I’ll give them some slack since it’s only been around 4 months. Just had to get a reimbursement form for a few scripts and it took an hour online to access then 15 minutes on a real basic site to find the forms. Forgot I have new insurance and scripts had to get authorized by insurance. Ran out of migraine meds so $700 later I’m having to Mail in for reimbursement. Old Org in NC that happened every few months and at one point they owed me like $4k. Worst part it’s a super low dose sedative or something so have to call every month and can’t be more than 2 days before I’m out but takes up to 3 days to fill. Now add in 2 weeks to approve and my usual schedule of constant airplanes/rentals it becomes a pain quick. Might get lucky and new insurance will let me order from them In 90 day increments. Swear the insurances that are prescription only purposely make it hard not to buy from them. Not an issue with Med Ins that bundles prescriptions but the self funded pools always seem that way.

Gremcat

Check out George Daniels dymamic nymphing he does a pretty good job of showing different casting styles to get into hard to reach places.
Thanks I will, might get some ideas that transfer styles even. I’ll have to get a few videos this year too. A lot is subconscious now but I recall it’s sort of a front cast if that makes sense