Pin Bones

Don

So on Blue Gill, Perch, Calico and Bass do you remove the Pin Bones or do you feel that they dissolve when cooked. On small trout I do not bother. But on the heavier boned warm water species I've been removing them. What do you do?

Don

So then they are not dissolving like on stocked trout?

I have consistently cut them out as well but it does mess up the appeal. I think I'll use pliers like with salmon and other large fish.

truecrimson

I'm with A-5, fillet all day. I never really noticed any bones in my fillets.

Now Mima and Papa, who make me go cut a switch if they saw me release a fish, would just gut, scale, and cook. We crunched on plenty of bones back then and it was never an issue. Even eat the tail after it got nice and crispy.

Don

Talking pin bones now. The little ones In the fillet after the fillet comes off the skeleton.

Last edited:

pabassman

I fillet a few fish every winter. I've never had pin bones??? Only heard that term used with pike/pickerel. You fillet it around the rib cage or you take off the ribcage with the fillet then cut it off.

A-5

I fillet a few fish every winter. I've never had pin bones??? Only heard that term used with pike/pickerel. You fillet it around the rib cage or you take off the ribcage with the fillet then cut it off.
You hit Harvey’s this fall yet?

Don

Caught this very healthy guy tonigh. Hair over14”. The green marker is where the pin bones are. So I make a little Vee and remove them. If I had the correct type of tweezers I’d try them but I don’t.

Attachments

• A0E0177A-80A1-4870-AE70-B0505B5DE8DC.jpeg
    A0E0177A-80A1-4870-AE70-B0505B5DE8DC.jpeg
    924 KB · Views: 7
  • 15E74040-9CF2-40BB-AA9E-12B6E83A1E71.jpeg
    15E74040-9CF2-40BB-AA9E-12B6E83A1E71.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • C9DCE4C1-9B9E-41B0-B84F-5C983C7DA313.jpeg
    C9DCE4C1-9B9E-41B0-B84F-5C983C7DA313.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

pabassman

I’ll remember that too last trip to Harvey’s I blanked
Its a very unreliable pattern. They had a perfect situation. Heavy overcast, even a passing shower. Decent breeze all day too. Those are the best conditions for that pattern but even those days arent assured to have then up and chewing.