Powder Coated

pabassman

I want to ask a question. And I know everyone is going to be brutally honest! Lol!!! Which is what I'm looking for. Do you think a custom rod is worth the price? It's hard for me to make a rod for under a 100 dollars, and I know you can go to Walmart and buy a rod and reel combo for under 50 dollars, and hell I've done it!! But after building my own rods I have found them to be WAY SUPIERIER to store bought!! Not tooting my own horn, just saying. Go buy a bass rod at Walmart, 6 to 7 guides, mine have 10 to 12 guides, the last casting rod I built for a customer had 14 guides on it, they cast better, they feel better, there more sensitive since there built on the spine (perfect bend of the rod). I have checked my store bought rods and there NOT built on the spine. So I realize it's up to the person buying it, so the big question is would you buy a custom, (say bass rod) built to you specifications for 200 + dollars? This is not and advertisement!!! I just want to know everyone's opinon???

In many cases I do think its worth it. Now to me a topwater or buzzbait rod....maybe not so much. But cranks, spinnerbait/chatterbait, finesse baits where sensitivity and feel is crucial than YES. I didnt get to use the ice rod but I'm confident it will be great

A-5

Randy for me the custom stuff is cherished. It’s special. For me it’s not about it’s a way better rod. I can catch fish on a snoopy rod. But the work done on a custom rod becomes more than a rod it got the it factor. The great thing that no one else has one exactly like yours and it usually has a wow factor. The fact that someone took the time to put their heart and soul into a custom rod means something way more than a Walmart rod.

Don

Well Said A-5. At this point I don't decorate at all. Just Color preserver and varnish. Someday I'll switch to epoxy. But it is the memories that make it the most special. I have an adult child whom is good with color and has helped immensely and they become part of the memory.

edcowan

In many cases I do think its worth it. Now to me a topwater or buzzbait rod....maybe not so much. But cranks, spinnerbait/chatterbait, finesse baits where sensitivity and feel is crucial than YES. I didnt get to use the ice rod but I'm confident it will be great
I build my own, what you get for a $100 of components is equivalent to rods that retail for 250 - 500. I make a lot of the baits as well. I'm a little nuts about having stuff just how I like it.

Don

I like to fix up usable classics as well. My Primary two flyrods are Both from the late 50's and early 60's. I have new ones but prefer the action of the old. I've only build two from components so far but the results were remarkable. As I Identify my needs and compare them to acquired preferences I'll continue to build my own.

Randy Z

RANDY, what are you building ? Do you build rods frequently.
Yes, I'm a novice, but getting better by the day. More of a hobby at this point, friends and family. Fixed several rods for folks. The most impressive rod I've built, Gremcat owns.

Gremcat

Just refound this thread. It’s a beautiful rod for sure. I haven’t fished it yet unfortunately. I can’t spey cast or roll cast for that matter. I’ve been playing around with real long slow ultralights lately. I find I want to try stuff but blanks I like are $2-400+ and I have no idea how my experiments will work out in the end so I’ve been recently using rods built for other purposes to try stuff out. I am finding I really prefer light for species rods with more than usual length. Well except the St Croix that gets buried with me. I heard I needed a 9’ by the guy that showed me our trout fishing style. I bought a 5wt and 6wt Avid in 9’. I’ve since gone back to the 8’ Imperial. I’m not sure why but I just fish it better and can tuck my tosses in tighter to logs and cover. I did build a fly line for it that has a much shorter sink tip to accommodate the length. So far I’m happy with it.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

I’ve sort of wanted a Steelhead rod that’s more sensitive than the Raven I have. I almost bought an 80-90’s Custom St Croix Noodle Rod. Holding out for something like a Sage One 5-6wt Spey in 13’6”-15’ range I can convert to a Float Rod with Fuji K’s down low and recoils up top. Custom cork handle with slip rings and probably some adjustable weight at the bottom to balance my Imperial centerpin reel. Looking for a full parabolic like flex to almost the handle with a hard stop/spine down low when it’s needed. I feel my Raven is real weak at the tip then goes to a rigid spine real fast. I’ve only lost a few on it that I over muscled running 4 lbs Flouro so it works. I just like long soft rods for the added leader protection and so I have more options with the fight. It’s a double edged sword though. Like the carp on an UL the other day. It wears fish down fighting longer. On steelhead though, I fight them a long time anyway to wear them down enough to land. I’m not that good on a pin though it’s my favorite reel to fish.

Reactions: Don

Don M

Lead has a melting point of 621 degrees. Baked at 350. Powder coat is 1,000,000 times stronger that paint and epoxy. Lol. You would think not. But I can say this powder coat is wow. And way easier than epoxy and paint.
I have a question. I'm looking to do some powder coating. How well does it hold up bumping the jig over rocks? When I paint reels I use Max 2K clear. So the question is is it worth the time and price to clear coat? Max 2K clear has a pot life of 24 hours @ $44.00 2 cans.

Don

Good Morning Folks. Don309 is a friend from Fishingtalks and Mitchell Reels sites. He fishes for allot of widely space species a bit like Troutspinner. Flounder, Bass and sometimes Trout. Don lives down our way and we were talking about Powdercoating briefly on Fishingtalks. I know A-5 doesn't use a Fluid bed. Do the rest of you use them? Uncle Mel? Anyone else? Where do you buy the powders?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have a question. I'm looking to do some powder coating. How well does it hold up bumping the jig over rocks? When I paint reels I use Max 2K clear. So the question is is it worth the time and price to clear coat? Max 2K clear has a pot life of 24 hours @ $44.00 2 cans.

I like fishing football head jigs and I have bought several top brands and even some custom made jigs and I have yet to find one where the powder coating holds up. Personally, if I was making jigs....maybe one day I will? I would not even take the time to change the color from natural lead or tungsten and just leave it natural. I cannot see the head color changing my bite percentage. Those different colors sure do change the sale percentage though. ;)

Solitario Lupo

I’m with troutspinner every time I’ve used them the paint chips away. So when I buy them I buy plain. Mostly just fish plain I believe it looks like the lure is going after a smaller baitfish in its mouth. If I want colors I’ll just spray paint them.

pabassman

I've had decent results with powder paint but I use Devcon 2 ton epoxy (D2T) as a clear coat. If your really banging rocks I agree it still going to chip. It is very strong and resilient on chatterbaits, swimbait heads. Even for dragging football heads on softer bottoms like sand, mud it seems good.

A-5

Grey heads bother me. Soooo I do powder coat every thing I’ve painted epoxy has chipped. Carry a oil based same color and fill in the cracks allow to dry or keep fishing. Powder coat is fair resilient

A-5

Fluid bed is not needed. It’s a luxury but not needed. Fluff before you dip your completely fine

Melvinp

I would argue the point of the fluid bed even though I don’t have one I will no globs and way less wasted powder

Melvinp

A previous member gave me some really good info on how to make one nothing special than on the web but use organic coffee filters course fibers in the filter let’s more air through it