Ready for the new year......already

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have been picking and poking at my reels the last couple of weeks, stripping line, cleaning them, applying fresh oil and new line. Maybe it was the lack of fishing the second half of last year due to that stupid bike accident and life just being busy but damn, I am excited to get the year going already!

I am focusing this year on fishing what I know. I will not be bitten by the lure monkey no more! LOL. The last few years I have had some luck with hardbaits, chatterbaits / spinners, etc., but a vast majority of the fish I have caught were on Craws, Senkos, Swimbaits and Neds. Learning other baits was fun, a little pricey and frustrating at times too but I spent way too many hours not catching...... when the rig that I knew would catch them sat in my rod locker.

Other than that, I am looking to downsize and get a little more finesse in my approach. Lighter line, smaller jigs and plastics. That will net me some smaller fish but I've never cared much about size, I lean more towards quantity than size and I know the larger ones will still present themselves.

I am well ahead of schedule this year, how about you, have you caught fishing fever this year yet?

Solitario Lupo

Been busy wrapping a couple rods. No there yet hopefully I’ll get them wrapped in time. All my lines are good except for the Muskie been trying to upgrade to rio line but I just don’t want to pay $100 for it.
As for lures and flies I can always make more haha.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Been busy wrapping a couple rods. No there yet hopefully I’ll get them wrapped in time. All my lines are good except for the Muskie been trying to upgrade to rio line but I just don’t want to pay $100 for it.
As for lures and flies I can always make more haha.
Damn! That is some pricey line for sure.

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

I have all the rods and tackle I need. Line has not been used much. Should still be good.

Need a couple of days off to drill more holes in the yak. Have not had time to work on the video of late last year's mods but one day....

But yeah, can't wait to get some line wet.

MB3

Still waiting on my Sixgill Lykan ML, they are taking forever. I bid and won a Quantum Energy S3 15 series off of ebay to pair with it. I want to have a few combos in the rod holder ready to go. I miss fishing honestly, makes me want to move some where warmer.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’m thinking Southern VA / Northern NC climate would be just right for me. Give me a little cold but don’t sideline me for 4 months of the year. ;)

Don

I’m thinking Southern VA / Northern NC climate would be just right for me. Give me a little cold but don’t sideline me for 4 months of the year. ;)
Every New Yorker is saying that these days. I visit NC but wouldn't add to the litter.
Last week in the Zebco Site a couple guys were practicing and casting under docks. They laughed and said that their skipping game is spot on when the water in hard in Nebraska and Illinoise. Gave me a laugh.
I ordered Seige 6lb Tangering for this year. Been Using their 8lb so far. will use 4 or 6 lb clear for a tippet. New reel. Will show on the Spin cast page.
Won't fish much this year. Gonna try to build a house but I'm nervous about it being an election year and will it be stable for risky decisions.
TS I want to practice more Mid-depth fishing with Senkos and Keiteck Shiners, last year I did a lot of bank fishing and also deep suspended stuff but my goal for this year is to back off the banks a bit and fish the slopes.
Road work is slowly starting. Not like Gremcat thankfully. But last week Inner Harbor , Next week Utah, February is SanFran to Reno. March and April will be All Mountain states. Gonna be busy. Only doin this 5 or 6 more times until retirement...twice each year for 2 1/2 more.....

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Every New Yorker is saying that these days. I visit NC but wouldn't add to the litter.

Last week in the Zebco Site a couple guys were practicing and casting under docks. They laughed and said that their skipping game is spot on when the water in hard in Nebraska and Illinoise. Gave me a laugh.
I ordered Seige 6lb Tangering for this year. Been Using their 8lb so far. will use 4 or 6 lb clear for a tippet. New reel. Will show on the Spin cast page.
Won't fish much this year. Gonna try to build a house but I'm nervous about it being an election year and will it be stable for risky decisions.
TS I want to practice more Mid-depth fishing with Senkos and Keiteck Shiners, last year I did a lot of bank fishing and also deep suspended stuff but my goal for this year is to back off the banks a bit and fish the slopes.
Road work is slowly starting. Not like Gremcat thankfully. But last week Inner Harbor , Next week Utah, February is SanFran to Reno. March and April will be All Mountain states. Gonna be busy. Only doin this 5 or 6 more times until retirement...twice each year for 2 1/2 more.....

Congrats on the future retirement plan. I assume building that house is part of that?

Dragging bottom to get off the shore is a great way to get use to being off the shore IMO. Don't be afraid to throw a Senko on a jig and a shakey head is a no-brainer.

Don

I’ve only caught a few out off the bank but they were memorable. Senko for now. Shakey I’ll try. Wacky seems iffy.
I don’t know my retirement plans as my wife and I are apart on that. Furthermore I could be out of a job any day as I’ve touched negatively on some new policies at work.