Setting the Hook

Don

When I was an ametuer I never had any issues setting the hook. Feel it bite and whack it. But with these plastic offerings I’ve been having a tough time wit setting the hook. It seem Texas rig is the worst.

Can yawl hep me to get past this.

I let them have it for a bit. Then I set and on the second or third jump there it goes…fish is gone.

HenryDavid

There are hundreds of opinions on this. I had the same thing happen the past 2 outings for smallmouth bass. My opinion comes down to 2 things, #1 - the mood of the fish, sometimes (and this is true with trout as well) fish will "short hit", not take the entire lure, fly, etc. With streamers I feel a solid hit and lean back and come up empty, it's my belief that they are striking only the tail of the streamer, marabou on a wully bugger, and not getting the hook, taste testing if you will. I think the same about bass, they are only playing with the bait until they decide if it's food or not.

#2 - with bass and soft baits, we are usually using a single relatively large hook. Depending upon the angle of attack the fish may or may not hit the bait creating a hook turn that allows a hookup, otherwise the hook (along with the bait) simply come back out of the bass's mouth.

I have also seen while bass fishing that smaller fish, bluegill and perch will try to grab the tail of a soft plastic, which makes you think you've missed a bass.

I've debated this at great length with regards to topwater lures. The general consensus is too not set the hook immediately after you see the fish blow up on it. I've tried this tactic and will report that it makes no significant difference in my experience. I've resolved to set the hook as soon as I see or hear a splash, my theory being that at least I know the fish is around the plug, might as well set the hook while you have the chance. Other times as I've witnessed in late fall when the bass begin to get lethargic they will hit near but completely miss the lure.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I am an aggressive hooker (easy boys lol) with jigs and I consider a Texas Rig a Jig. When you feel a bite, put the rod tip down, reel some slack and then aggressively pull the rod up in hook setting motion.

When using Octupus hooks with wacky rigs, spinners, chatterbaits, etc., just a sweep to the side.

Melvinp

Oh and Don, you need to learn the rules. Every fish that you see on your finder that does not bite, they are carp. Every fish that you cannot hook are just small ones. In both cases, you didn’t want to catch those fish anyways. ;)
Lmbo perfect

Reactions: Don

Don

T
There are hundreds of opinions on this. I had the same thing happen the past 2 outings for smallmouth bass. My opinion comes down to 2 things, #1 - the mood of the fish, sometimes (and this is true with trout as well) fish will "short hit", not take the entire lure, fly, etc. With streamers I feel a solid hit and lean back and come up empty, it's my belief that they are striking only the tail of the streamer, marabou on a wully bugger, and not getting the hook, taste testing if you will. I think the same about bass, they are only playing with the bait until they decide if it's food or not.

#2 - with bass and soft baits, we are usually using a single relatively large hook. Depending upon the angle of attack the fish may or may not hit the bait creating a hook turn that allows a hookup, otherwise the hook (along with the bait) simply come back out of the bass's mouth.

I have also seen while bass fishing that smaller fish, bluegill and perch will try to grab the tail of a soft plastic, which makes you think you've missed a bass.

I've debated this at great length with regards to topwater lures. The general consensus is too not set the hook immediately after you see the fish blow up on it. I've tried this tactic and will report that it makes no significant difference in my experience. I've resolved to set the hook as soon as I see or hear a splash, my theory being that at least I know the fish is around the plug, might as well set the hook while you have the chance. Other times as I've witnessed in late fall when the bass begin to get lethargic they will hit near but completely miss the lure.
I guess I kind of agree but when you watch video of Bass taking the baits it does seem that it takes a couple bites on their part to get it all into their mouths. I don’t mind waiting if I can prove it works. Plus, in my case the bass has surfaced and jumped 2/3 times before he throws it.

Don

I’ve set the hook on many a bluegill that thought they where abig bass
I know how fun that is but these are visibly bass. It is so fun. Walking in the bait an suddenly it is slack and moving sideways. Crank and yank.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
T

I guess I kind of agree but when you watch video of Bass taking the baits it does seem that it takes a couple bites on their part to get it all into their mouths. I don’t mind waiting if I can prove it works. Plus, in my case the bass has surfaced and jumped 2/3 times before he throws it.
I seen a video by Gerald Swindel doing an education course. In that course he said, “If you feel a fish bite, there is only one thing to do, set the hook! It ain’t like they have arms”.

Don

With some fish you can rip the fishes lips pretty badly if you set too hard. With trout I just strip them in...no setting. With Shad and Crappy I'd be more careful.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
With some fish you can rip the fishes lips pretty badly if you set too hard. With trout I just strip them in...no setting. With Shad and Crappy I'd be more careful.
Oh definitely. This is just bass I’m commenting on. Other species, you definitely have to change things up. Especially crappie. They don’t call them paper mouths for no reason.

Solitario Lupo

I have a hard time with that myself. Sometimes I don't pull hard enough. As soon as you feel a bite yank back with a good jerk. I always keep my rod tip down or to the side.

As you say your Texas rig isn't helping as your hiding the tip of the hook. So you have to pull threw the plastic and into the fishes mouth.

Melvinp

Ahh but sometimes you can get a callie to the surface and drag it across few other fish will do that.

Gremcat

I’m not really a hook setter ever. I’m still struggling with centerpin. A kid that catches many hundreds and lives on SR all year about gave me an earring every time he set the hook. If the steelhead didn’t take the bead that float would come flying back hundreds of feet and almost take us all out.