Spincast Reels

Don

The green storm. 1984 Johnson 225. 9 yr old’s fishwhacker.

Attachments

• 11A5FBC0-FACA-445F-886E-8ADBED1EBD17.jpeg
    11A5FBC0-FACA-445F-886E-8ADBED1EBD17.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Don

New from Zebco is a 9 bearing size-2 reels (Bullet) that retrieves at almost 30" per turn. Almost what my bait casters do.

Don

I had head that these guys are out there but never met one.... that is one of the clerks at the Cabelas in DE told me he fished bass at a very high level, almost Professional (where have I heard that before). And said that that he always keeps a Zebco on board for skipping and tight corners. I just bought three Full size Bullets. Machined Brass Gears, easy adjust drag and adequate line capacity. Can't wait for them to arrive. I'm thinking of 10lb Suffix Tritanium or Advance copolymer line. At 5.2/1 ratio they will have the speed for more of todays presentations. Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg

Solid aluminum construction. 9 Bearings.
If more speed is needed I always have the 7.2/1 Baitcaster.

Don

Aha, Two arrived today. I spun one with 10lb Suffix Advance CP and am looking forward to smacking some bass around. This reel has 9 bearings for smooth operation.

Attachments

• tempImagej6zagj.png
    tempImagej6zagj.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageBQS7FD.png
    tempImageBQS7FD.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImagepXxn65.png
    tempImagepXxn65.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Don

I know I Know, I neglected this long enough but today I catch up and you're all waiting for Spincast News.
Lucky folks on Spincast Alley (Mid-west, Mississippi Vally)!

1:00 PM: I’m leaving Cabelas on Cabelas Dr In NW Indiana. The mid-countrymen are Sooo lucky. There is an aisle and a half dedicated just to panfish lures, rigs and hooks, yes in additions to several aisles for Musky, Northerns and Walleye.. And this doesn’t include the ice fishing supplies. I just found pb & j 2” Ned baits by Z-Man. Then I found small under spin jigs and also some more Beetle Spins.

The new version of the Omega Prors.php copy.jpg is also in this store. Another reel they had is the Platinum with its 4.7/1 ratio. This is faster than most of your ultra lite spinning reels and also the Mitchel 300 from yesterday. It’s on my list, the list I call 'Someday'! This is the spring that Zebco is apparently releasing the Bullet in a 20 size. I beleive that the last time Bullet came in multiple size choices was during the 80's. To put is in perspective it the same size and weight as the famous 408 Mitchel.

This is the first time ever in a fishing store that when I mentioned Spincast reels the Clerk said it is all he uses. Additionally the Reel dept manager admitted that he was considering getting a spincaster for dock work and skipping.
Does it seem…..could it be possible…..that I’m kind of jazzed up after this visit?

Here is some of the treasure I came away with:
You lucky Ducks! On this site you have me to keep you all up to speed with Spincast News!Bass pro panfish.jpeg

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I know I Know, I neglected this long enough but today I catch up and you're all waiting for Spincast News.
Lucky folks on Spincast Alley (Mid-west, Mississippi Vally)!

1:00 PM: I’m leaving Cabelas on Cabelas Dr In NW Indiana. The mid-countrymen are Sooo lucky. There is an aisle and a half dedicated just to panfish lures, rigs and hooks, yes in additions to several aisles for Musky, Northerns and Walleye.. And this doesn’t include the ice fishing supplies. I just found pb & j 2” Ned baits by Z-Man. Then I found small under spin jigs and also some more Beetle Spins.

The new version of the Omega ProView attachment 4812 is also in this store. Another reel they had is the Platinum with its 4.7/1 ratio. This is faster than most of your ultra lite spinning reels and also the Mitchel 300 from yesterday. It’s on my list, the list I call 'Someday'! This is the spring that Zebco is apparently releasing the Bullet in a 20 size. I beleive that the last time Bullet came in multiple size choices was during the 80's. To put is in perspective it the same size and weight as the famous 408 Mitchel.

This is the first time ever in a fishing store that when I mentioned Spincast reels the Clerk said it is all he uses. Additionally the Reel dept manager admitted that he was considering getting a spincaster for dock work and skipping.
Does it seem…..could it be possible…..that I’m kind of jazzed up after this visit?

Here is some of the treasure I came away with:
You lucky Ducks! On this site you have me to keep you all up to speed with Spincast News!View attachment 4813
Looks like a nice haul there and nicer to hear that you met like minded people. You’ll have to do some some geneology tracing to see if your family has midwestern routes. ;)

Don

Passed a 71 yr old neighbor selling his fishing gear at a yard sale. Picked up his childhood reel. He was happy but sentimentally reflective when I bought it off him. It is a Model 66 Zebco. All metal with précise gearing inside. He was/is the type of guy that can’t use a computer but he will grease, oil and change line on his gear to have it last his lifetime. I’m honored to have it and have put red Cajun 4lb line on it to use for fishing the Marshalls Creek. The drag was pretty good on these original models as long as it is preset. Runs like a clock…looks like a piece of old Americana. C45A68BB-FA52-46B1-B813-65541E2C3D6F.jpeg

Last edited:

Don

Oh, so sorry to make you wait for the next great saga in Spinville! I've made a purchase!
In my quest for ultralight or light fishing (panfish and so forth) I've purchased a Daiwa Silvercast 80A. Very sweet little reel. it came with 8lb on it, okay stuff, I put 4 lb Suffix Elite Neon on it. Tried different rods from 5.5', 6' to 6'8" and for now I'll be using the longest. There are a bunch of bearings on this. Even the titanium pickup pin is bearing tipped. It's a very smooth set-up with a nice easy-adjust drag. I have Bait caster rods from 4.5' through 7' but I believe somewhere in the middle will end up being the best. My swimming pool is 29' long. With all the rods I was able to lobb a 1/32 oz weight the length of the pool with relatively good accuracy. Theis particular rig will see duty with lite floats and tiny jigs along the weed lines and weed holes in many of my favorite haunts.
Important is that the gear ration is 4.3/1 and drags in over 20" of line with every turn of the crank....perfect for spinners wether fast of slow.
The model # correlates to the recommended line that the factory recommends. So this is their 80 which gets 8lb line (I'm using 4), The 100A =10lb, The 120A=12lb and the 170A=17lb. When I get into the 12 and 17 bl sizes I believe I'd switch to other brands and/or Spinning reels and Baitcasters. But I usually fish down in this sweet spot where even the Catfish are much less than 10lbs.
Nicely finished, smooth reeling and great drag, here she is on a cheap Ozark Rod:

Attachments

• tempImagefS04KX.png
    tempImagefS04KX.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6973.jpeg
    IMG_6973.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6976 2.jpeg
    IMG_6976 2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6977.jpeg
    IMG_6977.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

truecrimson

I think I have one of those laying around somewhere. Something similar anyway. If I find it I'll bring it next time we meet up.

Reactions: Don

Don

Thats right you dislike these with a passion. I believe yours is the older model Minicast MC40 or the 206RL or 208RL. They have smaller diameter spools that must remain full and need new lite line regularly. Otherwise cool.

Last edited:

Don

Wow. A year since the last spincast post. I bet you folks are starving for more.

My favorite uncle died some years ago and I did not know until recently that he was a closet panfish fan. I had alwAys considered him to be a bragadocious salt water man. On the Fourth of July his daughter, my estranged cousin, dropped of one of his rods as a momento of my uncle. She had no use for this rod and couldn’t figure out what anyone would do with an ultralight 5’6” rod. I’m thrilled but remember I don’t use spinning reels anymore and this rod is a spinning rod. Today I figured it all out. Remember I often stop at thrift stores and buy used gear and other goodies.
Today, just outside of Jackson WY I found a nice Daiwa underspin and a box of incredible (read as new) trout lures. The underspin will match the spinning rod perfectly and the spinners will work for allot of what I fish for.
What are those nasty looking beads for???
IMG_7938.jpegIMG_7939.jpegIMG_7940.jpeg

Don

Wow. A year since the last spincast post. I bet you folks are starving for more.

My favorite uncle died some years ago and I did not know until recently that he was a closet panfish fan. I had alwAys considered him to be a bragadocious salt water man. On the Fourth of July his daughter, my estranged cousin, dropped of one of his rods as a momento of my uncle. She had no use for this rod and couldn’t figure out what anyone would do with an ultralight 5’6” rod. I’m thrilled but remember I don’t use spinning reels anymore and this rod is a spinning rod. Today I figured it all out. Remember I often stop at thrift stores and buy used gear and other goodies.
Today, just outside of Jackson WY I found a nice Daiwa underspin and a box of incredible (read as new) trout lures. The underspin will match the spinning rod perfectly and the spinners will work for allot of what I fish for.
What are those nasty looking beads for???
View attachment 5781View attachment 5782View attachment 5783
Thanks TC

Don

Added some used reels to this mess. One stands out for fishing the banks for Gills and Bait. Daiwa Apollowcast 108 and 110 series. Easy to service, casts like a bait caster that doesn't tangle and has the range of many Ultralite Spinning reels. Unlike Johnson and Zebco, Daiwa did not have the advertising and consistent model development. They were all over the place with their Models and there isn't a website of followers to get it sorted out. So one needs to buy-and-try to find out what was what. Below are some of the 39 reels I've collected since Thanksgiving. The Apollocast 108 is the perfect reel for panfish and I would imagine Ice Fishing. IMG_8261.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8431.jpeg
    IMG_8431.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Don

I love it. Got over two hundred. It has allowed me to sort out which are truly useable and which are toys.
If I wouldn't have had right hand Arthritis I'd never have come back to Spincast. It is modern Grease/oil and modern Line that makes these close to spinning reel performance though nothing will outperform the Spinning reel.
I like these Spincast the most but I find a place for most styles.