Spinners and Custom Spinners

HenryDavid

Sometimes you just gotta whip it into no man’s land lol
I fished with this guy on the Susky and Lake Carey, he was getting bass. He told me "see where I'm throwing this, I'm closer to the trees on the bank than the shoreline, that's what you have to do" I said, you go man :rolleyes:

Melvinp

I fished with this guy on the Susky and Lake Carey, he was getting bass. He told me "see where I'm throwing this, I'm closer to the trees on the bank than the shoreline, that's what you have to do" I said, you go man :rolleyes:
Just chuck it under that tree there’s a fish there I would lol

Reactions: Don

Don

lure-selection-guide
Troutspinner, If I wanted a larger spinner than the ones you make would I simply copy what you made and buy larger versions of everything and tie them up? Plus Couldn't I dress the hooks similar to the myriad versions from Mepps? You see I've really wanted to catch Pickerel all these tease and I'm learning that Spinners, spinner baits and CP Swings and so forth, Mepps 3 and 5 generally, are among the best there is for pickerel while the water is still open in Spring and early summer. Silver or Bronze blades. I also have one or two of those old Johnson weedless Spoons as well. It may be really nice to slowly progress through the spinners early and then When the weeds fill in switch to plastic. Bass will hit the spinners as well. My new bait caster are 7.2/1 ratios and that should be a nice even speed for pickerel and not too busy for me.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
lure-selection-guide
Troutspinner, If I wanted a larger spinner than the ones you make would I simply copy what you made and buy larger versions of everything and tie them up? Plus Couldn't I dress the hooks similar to the myriad versions from Mepps? You see I've really wanted to catch Pickerel all these tease and I'm learning that Spinners, spinner baits and CP Swings and so forth, Mepps 3 and 5 generally, are among the best there is for pickerel while the water is still open in Spring and early summer. Silver or Bronze blades. I also have one or two of those old Johnson weedless Spoons as well. It may be really nice to slowly progress through the spinners early and then When the weeds fill in switch to plastic. Bass will hit the spinners as well. My new bait caster are 7.2/1 ratios and that should be a nice even speed for pickerel and not too busy for me.
Sizing up works. Use your imagination and experiment and test.

Here is a pic of a couple experiments I have made for saltwater. Notice the spinner in the middle, that is my typical trout spinner.

CF42CDC1-BF77-4B03-AE29-1FDD66B40761.jpeg

The one at the top was a total fail. The blade is just too large for the rest of the spinner. The one on the bottom is a runner for sure but I haven’t caught anything on it. :(. It’s intent was for bluefish / striper at around 15’. I do have a build that has worked well casting to schoolie stripers at sod banks but this goes back to my earlier post, it’s tough to get a spinner to run deep.

As for dressing a hook. I’ve always stayed away as I just didn’t feel it was needed. I could see it bringing some value in a Muskie or Pike lure but for trout, I’m throwing a spinner or a fly, not both. Ok, that’s a lie, it’s been 25 years since I’ve thrown a fly, so it’s just a spinner. ;)

Don

Beautiful in there simplicity, kind of irresistible to use I'll be giving these more attention this year. I'm not under any illusion that my gear would handle those giant versions, nor that I'd be so lucky to find fish that big but your photo's are excellent examples of potential for these lures. Always French blades?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Beautiful in there simplicity, kind of irresistible to use I'll be giving these more attention this year. I'm not under any illusion that my gear would handle those giant versions, nor that I'd be so lucky to find fish that big but your photo's are excellent examples of potential for these lures. Always French blades?
I use Indiana style blades as well and I’ve experimented with willows but I always gravitate towards the French blades as they’re a little heavier than the other blades.

Don

I used spinners that had Colorado style blades for trout back in the 80’s and for pond bass in the 70’s. But they are slower action.these new reels will be a game changer if I use them with heavier spinners as they have the speed for pickerel.

HenryDavid

Just chuck it under that tree there’s a fish there I would lol
I don't know how to explain it. He would snag bushes 5 feet up onto the shoreline. Sort of like a fastball pitcher that was wild but once in while got one over the plate. He had no fear in heaving straight into cover, but he out fished me for sure, until dark anyway, lol.

truecrimson

I love casting under trees and bushes. There's usually something there waiting for a bug or maggot to fall in. The downside is I have left a lot of tackle in trees and bushes. The kayak makes it easier to go get it out, but on moving water that can create other problems.

Melvinp

Man sometimes you just gotta go with it it doesn’t always work out (50/50 chance) but you gotta try lol