Spruce Run, Bud Lake, Merrill Creek

Don

I've been having Map Sessions all year comparing distances from one fishing spot to the next in driving time (not distance) from my house. As it turns out Merrill Creek Res. has allot to offer. I'm thinking of doing a Jersey only year for 2022. Any experience on fishing Jersey would be welcome....lakes only.
Bud Lake, 53 minutes
Spruce Run, 33 minutes
Round Valley, 34 minutes
Merrill Creek, 23 min
Giving Pond, 34 min
Nockamixon, 42 min
Towhee, 40 min
Gouldsboro, 53 min
Frances E Walter, 59 min
Frances Slocum, 1hr 25 min
Mauch Chunk, 1hr, 10 min
Memorial Lake, 1hr 24 min
Hidden Lake, Shawnee area, 48 min
Upper Woods Pond, 1hr 48 min
Promised Land, 1hr 14 min
Shahola, 1hr, 34 min
Blue Marsh, 1hr 15 min

So if any of you would like to camp on my lawn this is how long it will take your to reach my recommended and fun fishing destinations.

Reactions: A-5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Being that close to Round Valley makes me scratch my head why you have not already fished it. Laker season is just beginning there. They have some hybrid stripers too. Silver Buddies are supposed to be “The Lure” to use there.

Melvinp

Kinda doing the same thing at this point but after the down riggers on on then seneca,Cayuga,owasco,skaneateles,otisco onterio and Oneida

A-5

Melvin. The finger lakes are unbelievable. Like I just fished them last week. The Lakers and AS are un real

Don

Being that close to Round Valley makes me scratch my head why you have not already fished it. Laker season is just beginning there. They have some hybrid stripers too. Silver Buddies are supposed to be “The Lure” to use there.

Don

Tell me more about the Lake Trout. I'd rather catch striper. Are Lake trout worth eating. never heard of anyone doing so.

In the last two years I got to know Gouldsboro real well. I learned where to be for which species. Its so far and its grueling to visit regularly. I really want to catch Pike, Pickerel, Walleye and panfish and Spruce Run and Bud Lake has them in spades. Round Valley and Merrill Creek are loaded with Stripers and also many members of trout and Salmon family.

Don

If I go to Spruce Run I can leave the boat there all fishing season.

Don

For Lakers, what pound test in deep water?
Man I had something on in Wlters a couple of weeks ago that took me all over and then the knot slipped on the hook, gone. It fought like a bass but went deep like a channel. Had me all confused. Wondered if it wasn't a giant brown or a Muskie? I was right along an underwater cliff and suspect it was a channel. Never saw it.

A-5

Salmon topper in NY is no longer than 4’ from weight to hook. And our steelhead leader is anywhere from 8” to 24”

24” would be very long. 18” I try to stay around. Water depth would dictate leader length

Don

Okay lets back up....I can get this if I try. You primary goes to a topper? What is a topper? Then from the Topper to the tippet is 2.5' and the tippet is 1.5'. and the hook size is?
A year ago I laughed at your hook choice as it was brutally thick gauge. You warn me not to laugh and since I've had some favorite wire Aberdeens bend open on me. I don't laugh now. For bait I went back to Eagle Claw Baitholders sizes 10-2.

Don

This is what I had in mind for trolling maybe with a blade bait as well.Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:

Don

Of course this will be from My little boat and will be drifting. These lakes are very very deep. No way I'll anchor up. guys are using twin fore and aft anchors with 300' spools of Rode to stabilize their boats. In my 12' boat that would expose me to too many dangerous variables