The hot fly

Don

I don't. I broke 3 graphite rods my first year and switched to hollow glass. I accidentally won an old 4wt online and fell in love with it. I have a very heavy 5wt fiberglass that I don't like and it has dawned on me that I would never be able to swing an 7 or 8wt fiberglass. It would get old quickly. So I'm in process now.....looking at options, reading about line and guides (Nappy got me straight on line) and hope to build a 7-8wt graphiteIMG_0134.JPGIMG_0126.JPG this fall. I'll take suggestions from you all and will likely consult Randy about the guide schedule. But it will be Oct-Nov before I start. I'm having a blast learning how to tie. Learned the Elk Hair Caddis this last week: (#14 scud and #12-4x, Streamer)

Melvinp

I don't. I broke 3 graphite rods my first year and switched to hollow glass. I accidentally won an old 4wt online and fell in love with it. I have a very heavy 5wt fiberglass that I don't like and it has dawned on me that I would never be able to swing an 7 or 8wt fiberglass. It would get old quickly. So I'm in process now.....looking at options, reading about line and guides (Nappy got me straight on line) and hope to build a 7-8wt graphiteView attachment 927View attachment 928 this fall. I'll take suggestions from you all and will likely consult Randy about the guide schedule. But it will be Oct-Nov before I start. I'm having a blast learning how to tie. Learned the Elk Hair Caddis this last week: (#14 scud and #12-4x, Streamer)
Starting to look like an old pro don nice ties.How does it float?

Don

Float? Wait a minute, Its supposed to float?
Its Bull Elk Flank so it'll float. One year I was out in the widest part of the Delaware Bay in my 28' sailboat and I sailed right up to an 8 point buck that was swimming along happily. I made a half baked try at getting him onboard but decided that if I prevailed it would probably kill me. Later I talked with a Fish warden and he said that it is quite common for them to swim from Delaware to So. Jersey. He went on to say that they cant sink because their hair is hollow, as we all know. I was miles from land. So I am pretty sure that these are going to float however I like to yank them just under the film when after Bluegill.

Melvinp

Float? Wait a minute, Its supposed to float?
Its Bull Elk Flank so it'll float. One year I was out in the widest part of the Delaware Bay in my 28' sailboat and I sailed right up to an 8 point buck that was swimming along happily. I made a half baked try at getting him onboard but decided that if I prevailed it would probably kill me. Later I talked with a Fish warden and he said that it is quite common for them to swim from Delaware to So. Jersey. He went on to say that they cant sink because their hair is hollow, as we all know. I was miles from land. So I am pretty sure that these are going to float however I like to yank them just under the film when after Bluegill.
Just remember that elk didn’t have a steel rod up it’s butt take a picture of it setting in a glass of water then take a picture a 15 minutes later if you can get it to float that long with no floatent you have a killer and I’ll take a dozen bahaha a few of the wing fibers need to be sticking out of the water lol

Last edited:
Reactions: A-5

Don

Okay, that'll be fun. Should I tell the wife what I'm doing with her Tupperware in the kitchen?

Don

Okay, all supplies ordered. now stand back as the fish will start jumping into my boat any minute. Two compromises were made in the name of accommodation for this old man: 1) Size 4 will be the size, 2) Black Rabbit strips instead of O'possum.

Don

Too Late. I ordered the Small but I won't mind ordering the Mini from Avid and or some cones from Bob...they'll get used.

Don

I cut these with a double-edged razor along the lay of the fur. Will they work? If so should I dye the skin portion black?
How long of a piece does each fly get?

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Melvinp

I cut these with a double-edged razor along the lay of the fur. Will they work? If so should I dye the skin portion black?
How long of a piece does each fly get?
Yep they will work but going to be pretty thick use a bigger hook and don’t dye yet see what you end up with first. I only use 3 to 4 wraps of possum my brushes are about 4in long and I can get about 2 flys out of each brush with a little extra. Try cutting the strips you made in half widths about 1/8 to 1/4 of the hide the wider the strips the more hair in the brush goal is to make a little look like a lot and try to get as much fluff out of the hide as you can it takes up a lot of room in the brush and won’t hold the longer fibers as good

Last edited:

Melvinp

I don't. I broke 3 graphite rods my first year and switched to hollow glass. I accidentally won an old 4wt online and fell in love with it. I have a very heavy 5wt fiberglass that I don't like and it has dawned on me that I would never be able to swing an 7 or 8wt fiberglass. It would get old quickly. So I'm in process now.....looking at options, reading about line and guides (Nappy got me straight on line) and hope to build a 7-8wt graphiteView attachment 927View attachment 928 this fall. I'll take suggestions from you all and will likely consult Randy about the guide schedule. But it will be Oct-Nov before I start. I'm having a blast learning how to tie. Learned the Elk Hair Caddis this last week: (#14 scud and #12-4x, Streamer)
Where’s the water glass start your own post on this elk hair caddis are a great fly getting them to easily float is the issue

Don

Where’s the water glass start your own post on this elk hair caddis are a great fly getting them to easily float is the issue
Caddis, Why would I start my own post when I can derail and steal your post?

I think I mis-led you. The strips above are rabbit hide and intended to be zonkered tails. Did you think they were possum for the collar? I am going to use this rabbit for the body and black hen hackle????? Then the Possum (longer hair) for the head. Am I on track?

Melvinp

Caddis, Why would I start my own post when I can derail and steal your post?

I think I mis-led you. The strips above are rabbit hide and intended to be zonkered tails. Did you think they were possum for the collar? I am going to use this rabbit for the body and black hen hackle????? Then the Possum (longer hair) for the head. Am I on track?
I guess let it fly and see what happens sometimes you win sometimes you lose that’s why you get a reject can lol