This weeks Gear talk. Flurocarbon

A-5

I use blue label for leader line. And cabelas ice fluro. But that isn’t offered anymore. Viscous a thing 8lb and bigger not steelhead. Honorary mention STS Salmon and trout yellow label

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Thank you for bringing this subject up. Now I can ask a question that has perplexed me forever! Floro is suppose to be invisible to fish. With that said, why does strength matter? Why do people go to a lighter strength leader based on presentation? It hurts my brain! Lol

Personally, I like the pricey stuff and it is 100% based on how it lays on my casting reels and cast ability. That would be Sunline Assasin Sniper FC in both #10 & #15, based on lure weight as I use it for the whole spool.

I do prefer Segaur Blue Label for actual leader, anywhere from #8 to #40 depending on what I am fishing for. Yes, I do it too! But I don’t know why! ;)

A-5

1-It’s not invisible

2- they say smaller line has a more natural presentation

3- Viscous as leader line is unbelievable and tough. Please try it. Seriously.

4-Flurocarbon is the absolute worst line out there. I’ve tested different brands. And it’s horrible compared to mono. Like I actually hate fluro. That’s why I pretty much only buy 3-4 different types.

8lb and smaller Blue label and STS both seaguar.

Seaguar red label is absolutely trash. Can’t say if enough.

Suffix I’ll use. But it’s thicker than some.

pabassman

1-It’s not invisible

2- they say smaller line has a more natural presentation

3- Viscous as leader line is unbelievable and tough. Please try it. Seriously.

4-Flurocarbon is the absolute worst line out there. I’ve tested different brands. And it’s horrible compared to mono. Like I actually hate fluro. That’s why I pretty much only buy 3-4 different types.

8lb and smaller Blue label and STS both seaguar.

Seaguar red label is absolutely trash. Can’t say if enough.

Suffix I’ll use. But it’s thicker than some.

I dont use a lot of fluoro. 10 pound on a couple baitcasters for a jig or a squarebill. And they aren't primary baits. Funny thing is I like Red Label 6# for my finesse baits like hair jigs, small spiders, neds ect. I find it softer than others and strong. Fluoro from 8# up sux on a spinning rod. I agree the thin line for smaller baits, natural look

Don M

Big fan of Pline fluorocarbon coated 4 lb.. For trout. And 20 lb. Leaders for fluke. Quite cheaper than most fluorocarbon lines.

Blackcat Outdoors

Blue seagar for leader for me too. I've tried others and the only other one I liked was made by Spider wire. I don't think I've seen that for a while. The seagar always seemed to hold knots best for me, I'm hardly a professional with it though and will fish straight mono a lot of times.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Pline - Never Ever again
Suffix Pro- Closely behind never again, might try braiding body hair first

Leader - Blue Label 4-6 lbs. if I can’t find Gold Label, Gold Label 8-10 lbs.

I’m really liking 4+6 lbs. Transoptic. Casts a mile, low/no memory, doesn’t get brittle or start knotting in cold like Suffix Pro Or PLine Premium CoPoly. I made less than 3 trips with PLine and maybe 6 with Suffix. Never have seen knotting/memory after use. If anything it gets slightly better in my prior experiences. I’ve maybe 15-20 premium main lines on my shelf to try but so far I’m liking Transoptic and my brother likes plain old Stren. That’s good because compared to some at $30-220 yards, stren is like $6 and he burns through it.

Gremcat

CoPolymer/Flouro coatings are all the rage but I’m not sold. Introducing added stress in the material, dissimilar materials, and different cothermal expansions are bad juju. I strongly suspect that’s why the PLine CoPoly was so unpredictable when exposed to 20 degree temps. By second or third trip it went from behaving fine to twirling for miles on itself not just off bale but between guides as well. It was nuts.

Gremcat

Saw the Vicious line but haven’t tried. Been eying FC Sniper TS likes so much. Pretty happy with Seaguar Gold and Blue though.

Don

I'm new to this subject and I am soaking it in. It looks like half of you fish your floro as the primary line and half are using it as leader only. am I right?
Sol what are you using for leader for Toothy fish?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Pline - Never Ever again
Suffix Pro- Closely behind never again, might try braiding body hair first

Leader - Blue Label 4-6 lbs. if I can’t find Gold Label, Gold Label 8-10 lbs.

I’m really liking 4+6 lbs. Transoptic. Casts a mile, low/no memory, doesn’t get brittle or start knotting in cold like Suffix Pro Or PLine Premium CoPoly. I made less than 3 trips with PLine and maybe 6 with Suffix. Never have seen knotting/memory after use. If anything it gets slightly better in my prior experiences. I’ve maybe 15-20 premium main lines on my shelf to try but so far I’m liking Transoptic and my brother likes plain old Stren. That’s good because compared to some at $30-220 yards, stren is like $6 and he burns through it.

I am going to have to look into transoptic. I am the same way with Stren Original Mono. I’ve burnt through so many spools of #4 for trout fishing. Once the line gets twisted from spinners, I don’t think twice and just replace it.

Solitario Lupo

I'm new to this subject and I am soaking it in. It looks like half of you fish your floro as the primary line and half are using it as leader only. am I right?
I run straight braid on the baitcaster it’s 80lbs. No leader. The other I use that wire, I had posted a pic in another thread.

The toothy fish are not as line shy as some fish can be. Plus your presenting something bigger that is not being bothered by the line weight.

Blackcat Outdoors

I mainly use it for drifting for trout here in pa. I use heavier weights bay/surf fishing down in Delaware.

Here I run 6lb main line (mono) and 4lb leader (floro) on my drift rod with either a trout magnet grub or craw or a cricket/meal worm for live bait. I use the trout magnet bobbers (look kinda like fly strike indicators) above my leader. I've tried salmon eggs and red worms with some success with this rig also.

I use it to tie various rigs for salt water that sit up in the water colomn. Usually with a mono main line also, but I've used braid for that too. I tie multiple rigs in advance for these and tie them on to a barrel swivel.

Toothy critters I usually go straight mono or for ocean, I'll use a steel leader with heavy braid for targeting the big stuff.

Gremcat

I am going to have to look into transoptic. I am the same way with Stren Original Mono. I’ve burnt through so many spools of #4 for trout fishing. Once the line gets twisted from spinners, I don’t think twice and just replace it.
Im looking at 1-2 trips and 0 spinners while using at least 1 swivel and usually 2. Only thing I notice changed is ambient and water temps. Always spool a few wraps and open bale to check for memory. If there’s any I flip spool on stand and try again. If I open bale and any jumps I won’t fish it really. I sometimes cast across yard with weight and always let a long run out in stream then reel in a few times. Suffix Pro went from ok to not bad to awful over 6 trips, PLine CX premium was fine the first trip. 0 memory, then went to coiling everywhere worse than anything I’ve ever tried. Given how many lines I try that’s saying something. I probably unspooled half a reel in a 3 hrs trip and actually quit early for the first time in my life maybe.

Gremcat

Transoptic 6 lbs was a little interesting initially and I was sorry it casted so good. If it didn’t reach many many yards past anything else I might’ve unspooled it. After a few trips it settled right down and was great. I just spooled 4 lbs and not a problem in freezing or fluctuating temps.