This weeks tackle talk where do you buy your gear?

A-5

I only use cabelas when I have to unfortunately I live and work close enough in a pinch I’ll list my top 5 places I spend my money

1- eBay. The best place I have found

2- wal mart

3-Dave’s bait and tackle on 611

4 cabelas

5- Fish usa

Honorable mentions. Amazon, beadtin, hobby lobby ,midway,

I actually hate to deal with mentions

Fish usa
Cabelas
Bass pro terrible
Mud hole absolutely don’t like them.

A-5

A-5

There are a few things eBay is good for. The lure above. They sent a different color than pic. Oh well they were amazing cheap so I didn’t care so much

Don

I grew up going to Dave's. He used to keep bass in the tanks for pet fish. I grew up going to church with Bob Ruff. Our church was up that hill towards Plumbsteadville (Grace Gospel Chapel).

I like Dick's for Plastic's. Since I don't really know what I'm doing yet I buy very little but I like to see it first.
Cabelas has the best collection of lead products if you need to physically see the product before buying.
Fly hooks come from wholesaleflycomany.com, great guy, I turned Nappy onto this place,.....
Things I don't need and shouldn't buy come from Lurepartsonline.

truecrimson

Bass Pro. My full time job is right around the corner so it's easy to stop in real quick, or order online and pick up after work.

Tackle Shack - Wellsboro Tackle Shack -Tioga County PA bait and tackle

Also Rans
Ebay
Amazon

Used to Be's
Dick's - Used to buy a ton of stuff from them. The anti gun crap they pulled is too much. [EXPLETIVE DELETED] them.
Walmart - See Dick's We tried to completely cut them out, but they have a lot of vegan stuff that is not available elsewhere that circumvents my wife's dairy allergy. We won't buy anything but her stuff there.
Dunham's - Gun counter guys were always assholes but they pulled out all the stops in 2020. Final straw, my BIL was looking for his first gun, was going to come up and let us take him shopping for it. I was pre scouting some places and pulled out my phone to send him some pics of stuff they had and the gun counter asshole yelled at me that no pics were allowed! Since when? I have sent my wife pics of every gun I have bought there over the years BEFORE the decision to buy was made, and they never had an issue before. That's going back to 2009.

Blackcat Outdoors

1. Amazon

I usually stick to specific things and I know what I want. Kinda nice to just go to the mail box and stock up on tackle.

2. Blue Heron Sports (Milton PA)

Great tackle shop if you're ever in the area. They have everything you could need including fly and center pin gear. Friendly people too. This is probably my favorite place for the last couple years.

3. Winner Hardware/Bass Pro (Williamsport PA)

They're somehow affiliated with bass pro or were at one time. I don't know if that's still true since the Cabela's merger. You could get Bass Pro specific stuff there though along with local stuff. A little pricier than some places, but really friendly people.

4. Walmart.

Nessecary evil I'm afraid. It's directly on my way home from work.

Reactions: Don

Blackcat Outdoors

Bass Pro. My full time job is right around the corner so it's easy to stop in real quick, or order online and pick up after work.

Tackle Shack - Wellsboro Tackle Shack -Tioga County PA bait and tackle

Also Rans
Ebay
Amazon

Used to Be's
Dick's - Used to buy a ton of stuff from them. The anti gun crap they pulled is too much. [EXPLETIVE DELETED] them.
Walmart - See Dick's We tried to completely cut them out, but they have a lot of vegan stuff that is not available elsewhere that circumvents my wife's dairy allergy. We won't buy anything but her stuff there.
Dunham's - Gun counter guys were always assholes but they pulled out all the stops in 2020. Final straw, my BIL was looking for his first gun, was going to come up and let us take him shopping for it. I was pre scouting some places and pulled out my phone to send him some pics of stuff they had and the gun counter asshole yelled at me that no pics were allowed! Since when? I have sent my wife pics of every gun I have bought there over the years BEFORE the decision to buy was made, and they never had an issue before. That's going back to 2009.
I quit going to Dick's for the exact same reason. Never had a problem with Dunham's though for anything. We don't have one close by, but I stop at the Bloomsburg one and State College one from time to time when I'm working (they have space to park the truck😁). I've always had good interactions with the people there including the gun counter. Sounds like it's just piss poor employee or manager at that one. Curious which one it was, but I probably have an idea based on your local.

WADMAN

I hunt ebay for my needs. Ordered a literal boatload from thw last seller A-5 listed above. Only hit BP as I am driving by and need a quick lure or line replacement. Never a destination I plan for.
Down south here along the river is an amazing tackle shop in Columbia. Susquehanna Bait and Tackle. Have a bit of everything needed from the farm pond to the deep blue sea.

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

I quit going to Dick's for the exact same reason. Never had a problem with Dunham's though for anything. We don't have one close by, but I stop at the Bloomsburg one and State College one from time to time when I'm working (they have space to park the truck😁). I've always had good interactions with the people there including the gun counter. Sounds like it's just piss poor employee or manager at that one. Curious which one it was, but I probably have an idea based on your local.
Yeah, it's the Lebanon one ;)

Edited to add It is 2 piss poor employees and a piss poor manager ;)

The thing that really got me is that pre covid I was buying their weekly ammo sale every week, we bought our first kayaks there, we bought targets, fishing gear, kayaking gear, and of course guns. And they threw that away for no good reason.

I have thought about stopping in at other locations when I pass by them in my travels. But so far I haven't had time on those days. I don't have regular runs, except for a monthly trach change in Wilkes Barre. Everything else just pops up. But I will have to remember to try to arrange things so I can stop in another one.

truecrimson

I hunt ebay for my needs. Ordered a literal boatload from thw last seller A-5 listed above. Only hit BP as I am driving by and need a quick lure or line replacement. Never a destination I plan for.
Down south here along the river is an amazing tackle shop in Columbia. Susquehanna Bait and Tackle. Have a bit of everything needed from the farm pond to the deep blue sea.
I bought my big muskie rod from them years ago. Technically it was my second bait caster, but I have not used it enough to really learn it because it's BIG.

Solitario Lupo

Anywhere there is a good sale or the things I want are on sale. Pretty much the place that has the cheapest price on my item.
I can’t stand cabelas, bass pro, or fish USA anymore all had bad experience with them. Those are my last go to’s.
eBay and Amazon are first. For plastic lure making basstackle isn’t bad. For rod building hook and hackle. Some very nice guys running the place.
Jstockard for fly stuff.

Don

Columbia MD or PA? you said "down south".

Don

Yes I also l
Anywhere there is a good sale or the things I want are on sale. Pretty much the place that has the cheapest price on my item.
I can’t stand cabelas, bass pro, or fish USA anymore all had bad experience with them. Those are my last go to’s.
eBay and Amazon are first. For plastic lure making basstackle isn’t bad. For rod building hook and hackle. Some very nice guys running the place.
Jstockard for fly stuff.
Yes, I like JStockard

HenryDavid

I only use cabelas when I have to unfortunately I live and work close enough in a pinch I’ll list my top 5 places I spend my money

1- eBay. The best place I have found

2- wal mart

3-Dave’s bait and tackle on 611

4 cabelas

5- Fish usa

Honorable mentions. Amazon, beadtin, hobby lobby ,midway,

I actually hate to deal with mentions

Fish usa
Cabelas
Bass pro terrible
Mud hole absolutely don’t like them.
Just curious, what was your bad experience with Fish USA? I've only had good transactions with them, but it has been awhile. I always thought they were a reputable Pennsylvania company.

I will throw one in the mix, FishandSave.com basically a bargain basement type outlet where you can find some good deals on basic tackle, the guy gets the orders right and will actually answer emails himself.

Practically everyone sells on Amazon so you have to include them. Many times I've been pricing something and found an outlet through Amazon and then gone directly to that company's website and ordered direct.

Two that I've found to very reputable and have great deals from time to time are Reeds Outdoors & Sportsman's Warehouse.

Campmor.com based in Jersey is good for clothing and certain camping supplies. They will actually answer the phone. I ordered a replacement lantern globe which arrived broken and the service rep. said he would ship a new one out immediately at no charge and have a talk with the shipping dept. to make sure it arrives in one piece.

A-5

Just curious, what was your bad experience with Fish USA? I've only had good transactions with them, but it has been awhile. I always thought they were a reputable Pennsylvania company.

I will throw one in the mix, FishandSave.com basically a bargain basement type outlet where you can find some good deals on basic tackle, the guy gets the orders right and will actually answer emails himself.

Practically everyone sells on Amazon so you have to include them. Many times I've been pricing something and found an outlet through Amazon and then gone directly to that company's website and ordered direct.

Two that I've found to very reputable and have great deals from time to time are Reeds Outdoors & Sportsman's Warehouse.

Campmor.com based in Jersey is good for clothing and certain camping supplies. They will actually answer the phone. I ordered a replacement lantern globe which arrived broken and the service rep. said he would ship a new one out immediately at no charge and have a talk with the shipping dept. to make sure it arrives in one piece.
Fish USA refused to sponsor the old pafusherman site when I ran the derbies. So I pretty much said after filling the paper out and going through the whole process they couldn’t work with me. Literally told them I would run adds and call it the fish USA trout derby or whatever. So that’s that. I also ordered stuff that never showed up and their customer service was awful. So I pretty much only order b or bb shot in a pinch. For some reason the world doesn’t sell earless b or bb shot anymore.

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

Fishusa sucks sorry but it does. Its all third party stuff. I order some lures they sent me the wrong one when I contacted them threw email nothing. Got stuck with the wrong lures. Then i order a reel from them brand new contacted them threw phone and their answer is we having nothing to do with it contact the company. All they are is a warehouse now.

A-5

Lupo. Agreed. I ordered hooks, they had them listed and they may have been not being made anymore. But they allowed me to order. Basically took my money and had no idea I’d I would get the product. I canceled order.

A-5

Oh and they are a PA store. One would think I could get a pack of hooks or something