Today

Don

I suspect PA will have the most productive answers but Sol and HD may surprise me.

Scenario:
33* air, 38* water temp. Very overcast. Rained the day before. No wind. Not much ice though maybe a little on the edges or in the coves.

1)What lure jig or bait do you grab to catch Bass with in a medium depth lake like Belmont, Slocum or Mauch chunk. Deepest water is 38’.
2) what are you throwing it with, type of reel and so forth….

pabassman

I suspect PA will have the most productive answers but Sol and HD may surprise me.

Scenario:
33* air, 38* water temp. Very overcast. Rained the day before. No wind. Not much ice though maybe a little on the edges or in the coves.

1)What lure jig or bait do you grab to catch Bass with in a medium depth lake like Belmont, Slocum or Mauch chunk. Deepest water is 38’.
Deeper jerkbait like an Elite 8 Rogue Probably have a shallower one on too for weedy flats. Longer pauses. 8#
1/4 - 1/2 oz jig with a beaver style trailer. Football if its a harder bottom, arky if iis softer. 10#
1/8-1/4 tube, rigged on a stupid tube type head. 6#
3.8 Keitech on a depth appropriate head, 1/8 - 3/8 10#

Don

Y
Deeper jerkbait like an Elite 8 Rogue Probably have a shallower one on too for weedy flats. Longer pauses. 8#
1/4 - 1/2 oz jig with a beaver style trailer. Football if its a harder bottom, arky if iis softer. 10#
our not like Solitario. You give away all your secrets. I’m gonna digest this a bit and in the meantime someone can post a pill for the pain that ales them.

Solitario Lupo

Haha

Scenario:

Can’t help you out here

Solitario Lupo

Y

our not like Solitario. You give away all your secrets. I’m gonna digest this a bit and in the meantime someone can post a pill for the pain that ales them.
Don I’ve been pretty out of the game for years on trying to catch small fish that I just can’t share secrets as I don’t have any to give
Trout yes, the main one being Muskie.
Pretty much I make my lures or use big lures that your rods can’t handle lol.

As for carp and catfish crayfish or bread.

Don

Summary:
Jerkbaits
Elite 8 Rogue (with or without rattles?)
1/4-1/2 oz jigs w/big trailer
Stupid tubes
Kieteck for those that actually want to catch fish
Bread if you're hungry

Okay I'll get started this weekend.

I actually caught a nice Pickerel on a jerkbait like the Rogue last weekend it was sort of neutrally buoyant with great action. It got attention and was fun but its the jig stuff you mention that worries me. Since I have yet to catch any fish any time of year on a jig I must say that I don't have much confidence in this method. Tubes maybe but you'll have to better describe their utility. Almost all the big bass I've caught were caught on plastics. Kieteck products have performed the most effectively of all these choices. I eat allot of bread and I'm not a Carp or a catfish.

Don

Catching Warmwater species all year is tough but it is one of my goals. Sol is correct as usual...I don't have the the right gear for anything heavy. But what I have is perfect for baits, jerk baits and spoons.

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

You kill me buddy.
Lol. With all joking aside if I would fish right now I would find something I could slow down as they are sluggish. Slow moving stuff and what water clarity is it. If it’s muddy or stained waters use darker lures and clear waters bright colors.

Don

I need to wipe them down and replace many of their hooks but they all seem redeemable. They were collected here and there all over an I barely have 40$ invested. Some are China junk I think as there is no writing or branding on them. Some sink and some not. I will test them, see if they catch hot dogs. Is olive oil a good wipe’n shine?

Solitario Lupo

Watch cooking oil as it can get gummy. Think the best is to just wash off with some dish soap if there that bad.

As for picking one the jig with skirts bouncing around with big slower movement. I try some spoons slowing the down. Something that floats that dives so it’s a little easier to control or a slow sinker.

Solitario Lupo

Of course it may be big for you but would be great for big pike and big bass if you can get the hit. Is a savage gear line thru in the small size I think it’s 6” but of course 2 1/4 ounce. Don’t not get the paddle tail. The 10” line thru trout has been working great for Muskie. The only problem is I haven’t found a good way to rig them since I lost two to my own fault. Gotta run a wire leader somehow for them big toothy fishy.

Don

Sol and PA, So I am finding that the 3/4 and 1/2 are just the limit for my rod. I really like the eels you sent me. Hope to put them in front of some pike this spring.

-I know now after eating hotdogs and fishing for two hrs. That this rod is the heaviest and longest that I’ll go. It is rated 1/4-1/2.

-Though I don’t have a smith wick rogue 8 I do have plenty of similar. But I’ll look for some Rogues as it seems that my shimano rod and Omega Pro like jerkbait and crank baits. It seems to load well and toss them far.

-The jigs worked well but are too heavy for this rig. So I’ll use my baitcaster for these but will need a better rod.

Been fishing steadily for 4 yrs now. First two learning to fish and tie flys.
Last year I spent allot of time and money learning what I prefer in plastics.
This year I’ll become more familiar with hardbaits and spoons.
This was a fun post to me as I actually took advice and went a did it. Lots of fun ahead.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I caught nothing, had a blast and froze.

Don

Watch cooking oil as it can get gummy. Think the best is to just wash off with some dish soap.
Good advice. Thanks. It dawned on me to use soap and maybe a little mineral spirits here and there. Then coat with clear gloss aerosol paint.

pabassman

Good advice. Thanks. It dawned on me to use soap and maybe a little mineral spirits here and there. Then coat with clear gloss aerosol paint.
Take off all the hooks, Wash the lures with warm soapy water, nothing else. Let dry then replace all the hooks.

pabassman

Sol and PA, So I am finding that the 3/4 and 1/2 are just the limit for my rod. I really like the eels you sent me. Hope to put them in front of some pike this spring.

-I know now after eating hotdogs and fishing for two hrs. That this rod is the heaviest and longest that I’ll go. It is rated 1/4-1/2.

-Though I don’t have a smith wick rogue 8 I do have plenty of similar. But I’ll look for some Rogues as it seems that my shimano rod and Omega Pro like jerkbait and crank baits. It seems to load well and toss them far.

-The jigs worked well but are too heavy for this rig. So I’ll use my baitcaster for these but will need a better rod.

Been fishing steadily for 4 yrs now. First two learning to fish and tie flys.
Last year I spent allot of time and money learning what I prefer in plastics.
This year I’ll become more familiar with hardbaits and spoons.
This was a fun post to me as I actually took advice and went a did it. Lots of fun ahead.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I caught nothing, had a blast and froze.
We all have some favorite lures, but you need to realize a lure is a tool. Example is that Rogue. It dives pretty deep, I've hit bottom in 9 feet of water. I use that on steeper banks in water under 46*. It would be usless on a 5 foot deep weedy flat. Another example is the Keitech. Trying to swim it close to the bottom in 20 feet would be tough with an 1/8oz head. Need a different tool in that situation.

Don

I agree. It was fun trying these out today. (Frickincold). I have had allot of success with the Rapala originals.
I primarily use Kietecks for swimming and skipping. They work great for May June, bass in bushes.
these are just tools as you say so when I really wrench on it the tool ( my rod ) is too light. I’ll not use the football jigs until I make or buy a new rod. I see clearly now why TS said not to go shorter than 7’ and stout. While my little shimano can wing the jigs pretty far they are not under control and it is not authoritative.

Don

All right, enough. I can’t keep going around no knowing what the 10#, 8#, And 6# stands for. I have been assuming that you mean pound test but am not sure. So I beseech the writer to Xplain.