Today

Don

OH, I knew that!
I'm going to change the hooks and split rings out on most of them. A friend that makes high end lures says to just take the hardware off them and spray them with Rustoleum Gloss enamel and replace with new hardware.

pabassman

All right, enough. I can’t keep going around no knowing what the 10#, 8#, And 6# stands for. I have been assuming that you mean pound test but am not sure. So I beseech the writer to Xplain.
Yes, pound test

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

I
I agree. It was fun trying these out today. (Frickincold). I have had allot of success with the Rapala originals.
I primarily use Kietecks for swimming and skipping. They work great for May June, bass in bushes.
these are just tools as you say so when I really wrench on it the tool ( my rod ) is too light. I’ll not use the football jigs until I make or buy a new rod. I see clearly now why TS said not to go shorter than 7’ and stout. While my little shimano can wing the jigs pretty far they are not under control and it is not authoritative.
idk, if targeting bass and toothies I’d throw a shiner or lip hook small bullfrogs a little earlier in the year when they are about. If not in PA I’d throw crawdads. Been know to use live eels and a few other creepy crawlies. Big black crickets the bass murder but I’ve not seen those around the house.

My idea of going deep is a Carolina rig and threaded baitfish lol. Wish I knew enough about plastics and lures to give any advice. I do catch fish on bubblegum worms and I use trout masters. I cut the rings/hooks off and tie inline for a less snaggy far casting sinker to make my baitfish move funny retrieving.

I’m so backwards I’m looking at my spinning line wondering if I can get a small stretch of Amnesia welded to it’s line in a low enough profile to not choke on the guides. Flies on a centerpin, jigs on a fly rod, minnows on a fly rod, anything but a spinner on a spinning rod lol.

I do enjoy the enthusiasm you bring to your pursuit though. You hang through it. Last time I targeted brim we used cane poles and weren’t satisfied until the 5 gal pail was full. To catch monster shell cracker I trap baby shellcracker and throw on cane pole but mostly just go to the nearest gas station and fill my screen carrier with fat black crickets. Catching a 3-4lbs large mouth on a cane pole is sporty though when that happens.

Gremcat

If you ever get frustrated, remember this. Last year while A-5 was patiently responding to my rapid fire novel texts doing all but hook a steelhead for me over a few days he mentioned jigs. So I ran by a local store and bought some. Steelhead crusher, electric fuschia, all kinds of ridiculous. First ? Was what one to try. A-5 “IDK, my kid caught a bunch on bulk rubber Walmart jigs last trip” Hmm, my jigs had caught a sucker it seems.

Next question”uhhh how do you work a jig?!?”

A-5 being the model of patience texted “wiggle it”

Lol 😂 I wish that was a joke. I also wish I’d caught a steelhead that trip on anything other than a plain crappy type jig I “wiggled” under a float.

I started thinking maybe I didn’t need dozens of beads, flies, and various scents.

Then I tossed that ridiculous thought out and ordered a few hundred other beads, 3 new leader types, a dozen more steelhead ($) jigs,

A-5

Ok. So. This jig thing. May have been a little miss leading. When fished under a float you jig it whil under the float. Wiggle whatever. Wiggle it just a little, ok moving on. So as the jig is being just suspended at the the level you want give it a pop. The jig will jump under said float and do well or the float with a jig just ticking bottom, just deflecting off the rocks is great.

truecrimson

If you want try a lure deeper you can always add split shit to the line or to the hook shanks. Or put a teardrop sinker on one of the split rings.