Tourney

Don

Yesterday I arrived at Gouldsboro and the parking lot was full of late model pickups with sizable trailers behind them. There was a tournament taking place. Once out on the water I realized that half of these folks seemed like long time acquaintances, just judging by the banter. Seemed like some nice folks.
I notice that they all selected different locations to fish. Too or three boats were tossing lures in the very weediest area of the lake up near the parking lots and swim areas. I was shocked at that fact. Long long casts straight over the weed beds and moderately rapid retrieves over and over. I wonder what they were tossing. Never saw them clean a hook. Do you imagine that they were plastic baits? What could you toss into Milfoil and get back that same day, lol?

Don

That's interesting PA. I was catching fish. I would have been on the board except that none of my fish were bass. I caught 5 or 6 lbs in Gills, Punkinseed, Perch and Pickerel.
It amazes me how focused they are in light of how narrow the goal. I hooked one bass less than 12" and it got off at the boat. A couple of them caught Pickerel but for the most part they used lures and or practices that only appealed to Bass and Bass they caught. Amazing. It was windless and it was hot.

pabassman

Well it was a bass tournament so the fact they were using bass tactics isnt too surprising to me lol. Dont understand the "narrow goal" thought?? Goal is five biggest you can find. Tri County is the biggest drawing club around here anymore. 13 boats is a poor turnout for them. 20 is average. I sure the lake they were at affected the draw. Looks like Duck Harbor was good today

Screenshot 2023-07-09 3.17.08 PM.png

Don

Wow, is Duck Harbor full again. I was there 2 or 3 yrs ago and it was drawn down a bit and I couldn't find a way to the water. what I meant by "narrow goal" should have read "focused" . They're focused on just one species and they're good at that compared to anything I might produce. Furthermore, When they are doing this they make it look so effortless.

pabassman

Wow, is Duck Harbor full again. I was there 2 or 3 yrs ago and it was drawn down a bit and I couldn't find a way to the water. what I meant by "narrow goal" should have read "focused" . They're focused on just one species and they're good at that compared to anything I might produce. Furthermore, When they are doing this they make it look so effortless.
It is easy. Pratice, pratice, pratice lol. A buddy saw a recent article where the fish commish claims Duck has a strong walleye population. As good as anywhere in nepa. If guys are getting them they're keeping it quiet lol.

Don

So there are good ramps there. Good enough for my Jetta? I had heard there is a great perch population there.

truecrimson

I've seen your Jetta. It's not ver seaworthy. I wouldn't try to launch it or fish from it. Stick to fishing from the drift boat ;)

Don

Well It takes me to job #1,2 and 3 and it floats equally as well as you Kayak does right now.

Don

PA could you please post the results for Gouldsboro yesterday. One guy got a 4lb LMB.

Don

Any stats? Hard to believe they could get through th Mat with their trolling motors.

Don

Pretty interesting. Weedville USA, lol. I’ve seen absolute lunkers come out of there…2.5lbs isn’t too big. I still like it there.

pabassman

Pretty interesting. Weedville USA, lol. I’ve seen absolute lunkers come out of there…2.5lbs isn’t too big. I still like it there.
All those Pocono swamps have a few big ones in them but they are mostly small fish places. Most are overrun with smallish pickerel. I think the weeds are so thick in them the baitfish can hide easily making it tough for the predator to get at them.

Reactions: Don