Towing

Don

Is anyone towing with a Minivan, ford Maverick, Honda Ridgeline or F150? I'm trading in my F250 Lariat Super Duty and those are my choices.

Blackcat Outdoors

I looked at the Maverick and it's tow capacity maxes at 4k. The Ridgeline will do 5k. So I guess it depends on what you're towing. I'd watch minivans, since a lot here CVT 's now and I don't know how they'd hold up to towing anything.

Reactions: Don

Don

What’s wrong with a Ranger! Ford Freaking Ranger that is! ;)
I test drove one and it made me seasick which is a problem for me. Theyre nice but there is not much of an efficiency advantage over the 150. I haven't driven the Maverick nor the Ridgeline but I had hoped to be able to sleep in it but they may be hard to work with that way. This kind of leaves the half ton truck (I don't really care which brand) or a minivan. This vehicle will be my primary sales vehicle and also pull a boat I hope to buy soon. For a size comparison a 17 bass boat from Tracker is around 1700-1800lbs. The Dodge Caravan has a 3600 lb tow capacity. Ten Maverick is 4000 with dealer modifications and the others are progressively more.

Black cat have you ever slept in that old Pacifia. Has anyone slept in a 6.5' bed in a half ton truck?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
FX4 model? My first test drive of a Ranger was an FX4 package and I thought what a piece of crap. I did a little more research and found that many who owned an FX4 hated the suspension, even mentioning exactly what you mentioned, so I tried a non-FX4 and it was a night and day difference. It felt like an F150, just more nimble.

Finding a non-FX4 that actually had some nice options in it was difficult though, dealers just assume guys want that in Pa.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
so you are driving a ranger now?
I should do that comparison as well.
I am. I wanted to go back to a mid-size truck after 20 years of full size. I can’t see me ever going back to full size, so much nicer getting around town, parking, parking garages, etc.

MB3

I want a mid sized pick up. I like GMC Canyon AT4s, Chevy Coloado ZR2 and Gladiators. I pull with a Cherokee Limited, does what it needs to.

Don

What’s the priority. Gas? Sleeping? Pulling?

Pulling?sleeping gas?

What’s the priority
Well founded question. Sounds natural coming from someone whom has had to be resourceful and make a buck go a long way.
My goal is the same:

-Gas Mileage: I drive 35-40K per year and it will be that way until I retire 4-5 yrs from now. So I want gooderish gas mileage within reason.

-Sleeping: Friends of ours were using their Sienna van for weekend jaunts to the Fingerlakes. You can buy very nice mattresses for them. If I bought the Minivan or 6.5' pickup I could figure that out I guess, I mean it is just my wife and I. White Sleeping aboard has previously not been a priority it may be a possibility and it may be nice.

-Pulling: I hope within a year to have a modest bass boat. I don't think any of them would have issues with 17-1800lbs. Not even the rubber band driven ones (they are rated by the factory).

So I think I can have it all this time if careful to pick the right version.

Conclusions:
Michael mentions the Canyon and Colorado. Not a GM fan but they have improved greatly in my mind and they are rated at the same gas mileage as most minivans. Admirable. 19-26.
TS's Ranger is rater 21-26....does he concur?
The f150 is rated 16-23 (yeah right, I'd say "prove it") In which case its a good as my old Edge.
All are better the the 9-12 mpg of my Super Duty.

I guess I drop the Ridgeline and the Maverick from the list so this exercise was good for that.
I'm driving to ME this summer. On the way We're stopping at Mystic for the Wooden Boat Show. Maybe we will have a Minivan to sleep in and we can shower in the state park. That will save us $300 - $400.

Last edited:

Melvinp

Well founded question. Sounds natural coming from someone whom has had to be resourceful and make a buck go a long way.
My goal is the same:

-Gas Mileage: I drive 35-40K per year and it will be that way until I retire 4-5 yrs from now. So I want gooderish gas mileage within reason.

-Sleeping: Friends of ours were using their Sienna van for weekend jaunts to the Fingerlakes. You can buy very nice mattresses for them. If I bought the Minivan or 6.5' pickup I could figure that out I guess, I mean it is just my wife and I. White Sleeping aboard has previously not been a priority it may be a possibility and it may be nice.

-Pulling: I hope within a year to have a modest bass boat. I don't think any of them would have issues with 17-1800lbs. Not even the rubber band driven ones (they are rated by the factory).

So I think I can have it all this time if careful to pick the right version.

Conclusions:
Michael mentions the Canyon and Colorado. Not a GM fan but they have improved greatly in my mind and they are rated at the same gas mileage as most minivans. Admirable. 19-26.
TS's Ranger is rater 21-26....does he concur?
The f150 is rated 16-23 (yeah right, I'd say "prove it") In which case its a good as my old Edge.
All are better the the 9-12 mpg of my Super Duty.

I guess I drop the Ridgeline and the Maverick from the list so this exercise was good for that.
I'm driving to ME this summer. On the way We're stopping at Mystic for the Wooden Boat Show. Maybe we will have a Minivan to sleep in and we can shower in the state park. That will save us $300 - $400.
I like fords to their putting my kid through college lol

Melvinp

Full size 1/2 ton truck extended cab with a cap big enough to tow a small camper or a pretty big boat enough room for a queen size air mattress in the back 20 miles to the gallon v8 for enough power to tow simple mine rusted out bummer

Don

Full size 1/2 ton truck extended cab with a cap big enough to tow a small camper or a pretty big boat enough room for a queen size air mattress in the back 20 miles to the gallon v8 for enough power to tow simple mine rusted out bummer
V-6 now....at least if its a ford.

Melvinp

V-6 now....at least if its a ford.
Lol keep helping my kid with college lol doesn’t really matter good and bad in everything I hate them all at this point sorry long day in the pit and even over a GM but regardless if you can swing the dollars stay full size and fiberglass caps are way better than sleeping in a tent in a rainstorm

Don

fiberglass caps are way better than sleeping in a tent in a rainstorm
Much better than a tent.

I like Ford but frankly they all cost about the same to run(gas/diesel), insure( Gecko or Flo) and repair (parts and Labor).

A-5

I’ll be honest. The cap and sleeping in the back bed is for younger people. The bed in a mini van seems better you could actually turn heat on and not have to get out in the weather to sleep. Gas would be my priority. Having a tow max if 3,000 and making sure your newer boat falls into that is probably the way to go.