Tracker boats

Don

Are the minimalist tracker boats worth what they're asking? Seems cheap but are they actually Cheapo?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Which boat are you calling their minimalist one? The Classic I think fits that description but I also think the ProGuide V16 I had fits that as well in that category and then there are the Grizzly series, just metal, no finishes.

Don

I’m pretty sure they all float as long as the water is shallow enough. Some of my boats in the past floated right on the bottom. I really miss my old Carolina 238 but it was too much boat for me alone.
So I’m looking at the 16’ classic or the next size up…the 175 pro. It seems that the interest is minimal as well. These boats seem pretty affordable. Will they handle RARITAN or Barnaget Bay in reasonable weather ?
The other option is to just put some batteries and a motor into the Fiver. And call it a day. Wouldn’t go near the bay but that old tri-hull would handle most of the smaller Big Lakes I visit.
The last thing I wouldn’t mind would be to patch together on of the 16’ johnboat hulls that they offer. Those are pretty rugged.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I would not recommend any Mod V Style Boat for the Bays. Anytime we see a Bass Boat on Raritan, they hang around the Keyport Sailboats and don't come out much further, these are 18'-21' boats too. There is always the exception, there is one guy with a 21' Bass Boat we often see out front, we always think he is crazy when we see him but I'll give the guy credit, he drives that boat like a beast.

One thing about Raritan, the weather doesn't matter, that bay has it's own mind. We call it a washing machine and the wind always seems to be against the tide there and as soon as the tide shifts and you think it's going to lay down, nope! And then there are days when the predicted weather is suppose to be dicey and you go out and it's glass....it makes no sense but I would never do it without a Deep V Style Boat like a ProGuide in the Tracker line. Even my 16' I had handled that bay well.

With the Classic, 175 Pro and even the ProGuide I had, they are all good boats but if you start comparing the fit and finish to other pricier boats, you start to see where Tracker saves their money, unskilled labor and little time spent on quality control. I knew that going in when I bought my ProGuide but I could not deny the value I was getting so it won me over vs. other manufacturers. Hindsight being what it is, I have no regrets buying that boat.

Don

Flying home today. Plenty of thinking time. I want to keep a relatively shallow model in mind as I’m hoping to not give up Gouldsboro and the stump fields there. Nor do I want to give up any other shallow lakes like Hidden Lake. But it has to be capable on most of the bigger PA lakes. WallenPaulpack can Also be a food grinder.

Last edited:

Don

Yes that is RARITAN. I used to race there every wednsdsy night. Ya never know.
I now put in in Seawaren and only fish the inner bay towards Lockwoods. I guess I could get a larger Vee boat but I want to be able to launch alone, roll it around in driveway, maintain it and then get something back out of it in ten yrs or so.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Yes that is RARITAN. I used to race there every wednsdsy night. Ya never know.
I now put in in Seawaren and only fish the inner bay towards Lockwoods. I guess I could get a larger Vee boat but I want to be able to launch alone, roll it around in driveway, maintain it and then get something back out of it in ten yrs or so.
My Deep V or ProGuide was 16’ and fit in my shallow garage. I could roll it around by hand. It had a wide beam, I believe 88”. If my buddy had not bought his center console, I would still have it. It wasn’t as bass fishing friendly as my current boat but it worked for everything. You’re a multi species angler, a boat like that would suit you well.

Don

Question #1: I weight 265. If I'm standing on the front in a 16'8" Tracker classic is it stable or not? is it too tippy to be comfortable?

Question #2: Is the floor above or below the waterline? I often fish in the rain so how does the rainwater leave the boat, Bilge pump?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Question #1: I weight 265. If I'm standing on the front in a 16'8" Tracker classic is it stable or not? is it too tippy to be comfortable?

Question #2: Is the floor above or below the waterline? I often fish in the rain so how does the rainwater leave the boat, Bilge pump?
I don’t know the ratings on the classic but I would imagine it being very similar to my boat at 16’. 2 of us stand up front all the time without issue.

Using my boat as an example once again, the floor is about 6” above the water line and yes, a bilge pump is how you would relieve that water.

Don

My old Carolina Skiff the floor was so much higher than the water line that you could leave the plug out if there were only a few folks aboard.

Last edited: