Weekly Gear Talk. Pliers.

A-5

What do you use. Shop pliers? Forceps? Forceps with the cutter? Specialty plier? Does everyone know what the j on the end of pliers do? I didn’t. I do now!

A-5

6484E735-89B6-4861-9F9F-E83224CD3F9B.jpegHere’s the type I use. I gotta have the tip on this plier. Also I need the pliers to cut and pull hooks. Forceps aren’t rigid enough for salmon or bigger fish.

HenryDavid

All different sizes for different species. I wear a lanyard with forceps and nippers - like fingernail clippers.

Solitario Lupo

What do you use. Shop pliers? Forceps? Forceps with the cutter? Specialty plier? Does everyone know what the j on the end of pliers do? I didn’t. I do now!

Are you talking about the point on the tip. All I know is usually used for jewelry making but I use a small pair of pliers with that point for split rings.

Blackcat Outdoors

I usually use forceps, I have a small one I wear on my vest and a large pair I keep in my box/bag. I almost always carry a multi tool just in general, so that works in a pinch. Surf/ocean I carry a pair of lineman plyers. Fairly large pair, but you can get more leverage for getting larger hooks out or cut steel leader easily with them if necessary.

A-5

I use the nipple on the pliers to open earless shot. Go figure. I hate pet peeve. Shot with ears. So those pliers are gold

A-5

Yup the j opens them up. For a float fisherman it’s a game changer. Or a Bottom bouncer that puts on one to many.

Gremcat

I use the nipple on the pliers to open earless shot. Go figure. I hate pet peeve. Shot with ears. So those pliers are gold
I tried that but go through shot like my kids do skittles. I bought the Orvis style and mostly mangled shot. I hate when it deforms and I like tiny shot too which is a pain. Finally got the 2 sizes from Anadromous designed for shot. The small ones with split ring tip aren’t great but the heavier ones are sweet. They took a long long time getting them shipped though.

Gremcat

Have tried the mitt style loon pliers, have the coated orvis pliers now but for hook removal prefer one step up from throw away hemostats. The loon pair rusted day one. The orvis are bulky and hard to manipulate. Problem with regular hemostats is my brother and I keep losing em. The big bright ones sort of stick out.

Gremcat

What are everyone using for zingers? Some are too small, others get in way of pliers, some I put a keyring loop on and then heat shrink so they don’t work off. I have one of the quick disconnect heavy duty ones for hemos since I loan them out and remove from shoulder strap to unhook fish. I had two but my brother lost the clip on the other when he left my net at creek. Or when he left his nice pack I bought him and loaded with tackle at the other creek.

We’re a mess, lol

Gremcat

Gave my meat fisted bro the loon set. They all have big jaws making it a pain to grab hooks too. Probably go back to long hemostats next season. I don’t like the clasps that you have to compress and sort of twist to pop. They get bent or otherwise are a pain. The loon set you just squeeze hard and they pop open. I bet regular hemostats would break quick like that. Tough buying online without seeing quality. A pair we lost were gold on handle and much better than bait shop version.

Gremcat

For regular size shot the split ring deal is great. I just can’t seem to get the teenies open without mangling enough they won’t come off. I’m trying camo super soft from Raven and that shot is real nice to add/remove but sometimes they come off when they aren’t supposed to.