What’s your future look like. Fishing wise.

A-5

I know TS turns his life upside down every 4-5 years. So if he doesn’t write a book I’ll eat my hat lol. Me I’ve turned into a baseball dad. My wife and I went into our 4th son and said we were going to avoid sports and raise a outdoorsman. I don’t hunt anymore but camping and fishing is where we wanted move towards instead of doing the sports thing. So Covid hit and we were looking for Avenues of getting out and about. We signed him up for baseball as a 8. Well. He was pretty good. Made the travel team and now he is on a different level. In no way is he the greatest best. But he’s definitely got talent you can’t ignore. That’s definitely thrown me for a fishing loop. But I will say I enjoy watching him more than fishing so it’s all good. I’m just in a different stage. Definitely fish in fact I just posted pics. But my life has changed.

pabassman

I went thru that stage. Varing intensity from 1994 thru 2017. Coached girls basketball three years, T-ball one year. Then had three boys involved in sports. LL and some teener league baseball, basketball and football. My oldest son even made the HS golf team. My youngest played football for eight years, four biddy, four high school. Its time consuming and has a decent price tag but its well worth it. This was a major factor as to why I did mostly night fishing. I got out when I could around the more important things in life.

truecrimson

Work situation and schedule are looking better so I am hoping to fish more. The last few weeks have been bad but before that I got out a few times in early November. Didn't catch anything. If nothing burns down with jobs then next year looks good for getting back to more fishing. Who knows, maybe I'll get to try out the ice gear between now and spring.

Blackcat Outdoors

I did coaching the last few years, now my daughter is kinda out of softball. Her school is looking for a girls basketball coach now and I've been asked twice, but I don't think I'm interested (my daughter doesn't seem to want to play, but I've coached before). I'm trying to figure ways to incorporate my love of backpacking and fishing together at least a couple times next year. I don't see me slowing down at work though. If I keep up on my extra ot, I can have my house paid in about 7 years. That'll allow me to really reduce my work load and be able to get out more.

It's tough, because I've had this planned for awhile. Pay the house off when my daughter is done with school and I can basically partially retire. The last 2 months I've had 2 friends die though and it makes you wonder if you're even going to be around to enjoy that stuff or should I just start trying to do more now.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
lol @A-5 but you’re right on target based on my past.

I don’t think there are any major changes coming for me though. I did get a little bored with my boat and bass fishing this year but I think it was a byproduct of the amount of time I had put into bass the previous years and maybe unrealistic expectations this year? Traffic on the lakes didn’t help but I think that trend is trending downward with the economy and people going back to the office full time. We shall see on that.

I am looking forward to chasing other species this year and going back to drift / jig fishing like I use to do in my kayak.

Reactions: A-5

pabassman

.The last 2 months I've had 2 friends die though and it makes you wonder if you're even going to be around to enjoy that stuff or should I just start trying to do more now.
I have the same type feelings. I started SS in January at 62. I worked fulltime til March, then a little part time til almost June. Made my max income for the year. I had a good friend do the same thing. We both started retirement Jan 1st. He had a mini stroke New Years eve. Thankfully it was mild and he's fine but that removed any doubts or thoughts I had about getting out at 62. In the past three years I've lost a few other friends a little older than me, and a few younger. Tomorrow isnt guaranteed. This was on BassFan site. Former bass pro died Monday. He was 62. Puts it in even more perspective.
An exact cause isn't known, but friends reported that he killed a big deer that morning and was forced to drag it a long distance to his truck. Upon arriving home, he laid down for a nap and never woke up.

"It's just shocking," said Peter Thliveros, who was part of a quartet that included Tucker, Kenyon Hill and Bernie Schultz that traveled together on the Bassmaster circuit for many years. "He was so conscious of his health and he ends up being the first one of us to go."

MB3

My fishing life has been under pressure from life and work stresses the last few years. This year to lighten the load and to prepare for a possible unwanted job change (I wont kiss the ring, especially if you are wrong) so I sold the Ranger, kayaks and recently the jet boat to clear debt. Painful but I was drowning in payments.

I'll take the winter off, wading streams maybe. I unfortunately do not have kids of my own. Shiela has a son that lives with us who will be 22 so he's passed the dedicated parental phase and is making his way in life. I'd like to think I had a solid part in that. Not my work, just some of my direction, his work.

I work with chemicals, people and stress that will kill me early. I intend to spend more time this year back on the water, actually using the 70hp, getting my 1st Walleye and not feeling guilty in the least. We lost 2 close relatives this year, one to cancer and one to a freak accident then passed after a blood clot. These holidays won't be the same. Life is too short to feel guilty for fishing. It's too short to always sacrifice and rarely receive and too short to be around garbage people hell bent on destroying you but using for all your worth. I hope they enjoyed the free ride, that ended. Wait until they find out.

Melvinp

My fishing life has been under pressure from life and work stresses the last few years. This year to lighten the load and to prepare for a possible unwanted job change (I wont kiss the ring, especially if you are wrong) so I sold the Ranger, kayaks and recently the jet boat to clear debt. Painful but I was drowning in payments.

I'll take the winter off, wading streams maybe. I unfortunately do not have kids of my own. Shiela has a son that lives with us who will be 22 so he's passed the dedicated parental phase and is making his way in life. I'd like to think I had a solid part in that. Not my work, just some of my direction, his work.

I work with chemicals, people and stress that will kill me early. I intend to spend more time this year back on the water, actually using the 70hp, getting my 1st Walleye and not feeling guilty in the least. We lost 2 close relatives this year, one to cancer and one to a freak accident then passed after a blood clot. These holidays won't be the same. Life is too short to feel guilty for fishing. It's too short to always sacrifice and rarely receive and too short to be around garbage people hell bent on destroying you but using for all your worth. I hope they enjoyed the free ride, that ended. Wait until they find out.
Ugg pretty hard to like that one but I understand they say there’s always light at the end of a tunnel hope you find it good luck and tight lines

Reactions: MB3

Don

I have a great disdain for organized sports as they exist these days. That being said I admire any of you that have done either coaching or anything family on a regular basis. I mean I admire all of you but it takes a bit more to drag everyone out on a weekend or to visit those that are laid up. Even those that cleaned the hunting camp or fished that last cove, led in prayer or sang the last hymn. It all pays to enable the next generation. I've had two TIA in two years and it always makes me think wether my time is up and whether I contributed enough. God takes us as we are but did those left behind benefit from our path.