What reels do you have

Melvinp

I’ve been busy don I have three fly reels that I use on a regular basis but own six I just move the reel from rod to rod depending on what I’m fishing for I have more rods than reels

josey12340

Let me throw my answer in here. I have to say I like Shimano reels. I almost exclusively trout fish in Pa. I have around six or seven Shimano reels for Pa trout. I mostly use the saros. I have a Shimano symetre that I take to NY. I have two Hardy fly reels. One for New York fishing and one for Pa. My centerpin reel is an Okuma Raw II. There are a few other reels of who knows what make hanging in my garage.

Last edited:

Don

That’s the point I was making Josey. SnookyieDookie Flyfishermen call them “Indicators”. They’re all just bobbers. It’s more complex than I had realized. Turns out they’re fun and have more uses than just holding a Worm and hook at a given depth. Still, it’s funny to hear A-5 called a bobber fisherman.
A-5 I’m hoping to do something this winter with those corks. It’ll be fun.

Gremcat

Not quite the same as “Thingamobobs” and other Indictators I have floating around(no pun intended)

Even the Fly guys and spinning rod guys I fished with in Erie all had floats. Most had the small clear ones. I have a few but can’t cast them well on the Mini Pin. Think mine are Drennan.

Gremcat

It’s funny to be drifting in a skinny column 5-6 floats all in series, I looked around and realized 4-5 different types of rods being used but all looked the same from the Float side. The guys using heavy spinning gear hauled fish in like landing bluegill. They did lose a few. Many had short bass rods with bait casters. The aforementioned fly guys mixed in with a few Pinners. By the end we all had identical bait and hooks as well since all they wanted to hit the last day were minnows on tiny hooks. Still hard to believe I could land such hard fighting fish on a 4lbs leader and size 18 wire hook.

A-5

Float fishing is for steelhead October to May. 13’ rods and pins. Bottom bouncing. All year all seasons.

Fly rod guys in NY are mostly known as snaggers.