Baitcaster Finesse Fishing

Don

10 lb floro make good leader? Price is ok. $15/200yd

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

A-5

I don’t use fluro that way. I tie fluro to my mono. Only need fluro at the end wasted money to spool it. But TS will disagree with me

Don

Okay I’m going to back up. Admin can you restart this as a new thread. Clearly this is going to be much more nuanced than I had imagined. Maybe call it finesse for bass. I’m stealing my own thread slowly but surely.

A5 I went to the local Dick’s tonight an as u might imagine, knowing me, I was lost in my head in no time. So I hope we can start this up again when I get home. I can see why you, Melvin and other are so interested in pouring and coating your own jigs. I hope, now that I was at the store and see what you were showing me, that I can get more from this subject. Don309 is also been asking about this.

A-5

Just get the links I sent. $20 for 5 jigs and some speed crawl. All you need to start jig fishing bass. Note. This is not vertical jig fishing. This is casting and reeling in slow or whatever speed fish want. Then flipping. I love flipping jigs in cover.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
As far as jigs are conscerned I was hoping to learn a little finesse techniques and am hoping that you guys meet in Uncle Melvin's splash shop this winter to continue discussing jigging, Solitario Frogging and Senko Sinking.

It is amazing how much foundational knowledge I have gotten from this forum and I appreciate you all sharing.

I would recommend skipping finesse presentations until you get proficient with throwing something with weight like a Jig, Texas Rig, Spinner, Etc. You will appreciate a baitcaster much more discovering what it is really good at. Moving to finesse presentations will require a lighter reel, line and possibly even rod.

I think this is what TS showed me.

Very similar, just a different manufacturer. I like the Strike King Tour Grade Football Jig. The guards are the perfect length IMO and do not require trimming. I do still trim the skirts though.

I don’t use fluro that way. I tie fluro to my mono. Only need fluro at the end wasted money to spool it. But TS will disagree with me

Yes I will! ;)

Don

Watch it guys, he's trimming skirts.

Well I thought finesse included the jigs and plastics that A-5 was alluding to. I think we need to develop clearly defined definitions. Drop shotting, Finesse, Chatterbaits andjerkbaits are all terms that didn't exist back when I learned to fish. with a habit of getting in my own way verbally it would be better if will you discuss briefly jobs are best done with a bait caster. Then we can see how they adapt to my goals.

Right now I use Spincast in the stumps and weedbeds, I use spinning reels with surface lures and jerk baits. I want to use Baitcasters for drop shot, Senko and fotball jigs down to 20-30' and then jigging the depths with Texas rigs to 60 or 100 feet for lakers and stripers in summer.

Don

I will be using 12 or 15lb mono line. The leader will be 10-15' and will be 10lb Floro. I thought that the red box Seaguar 10lb for leader will be affordable and nice. I will use one of the recommended knots for that. Now what do I put on the end tha make the fishes bite?

Solitario Lupo

As far as jigs are conscerned I was hoping to learn a little finesse techniques and am hoping that you guys meet in Uncle Melvin's splash shop this winter to continue discussing jigging, Solitario Frogging and Senko Sinking.

It is amazing how much foundational knowledge I have gotten from this forum and I appreciate you all sharing.
As for finesse fishing goes can’t help ya out. Never done it.

The frogging is still new and I’m still trying to wind in without it flipping over. I’ll let you know how it goes. I was thinking of getting a jig head on it and jigging down deep.

Don

I have a friend in CA that throws Senko's on I believe Texas rigs and fishes them in deeper water. I can try it with spincast.

A-5

Don right application for the right situation. When you go to FEW. There is a dam with rocks. Is that weedy? Not all your spots are weedy. You also were talking about fishing 30’ water. No weeds down there.

pabassman

Watch it guys, he's trimming skirts.

Well I thought finesse included the jigs and plastics that A-5 was alluding to. I think we need to develop clearly defined definitions. Drop shotting, Finesse, Chatterbaits andjerkbaits are all terms that didn't exist back when I learned to fish. with a habit of getting in my own way verbally it would be better if will you discuss briefly jobs are best done with a bait caster. Then we can see how they adapt to my goals.

Right now I use Spincast in the stumps and weedbeds, I use spinning reels with surface lures and jerk baits. I want to use Baitcasters for drop shot, Senko and fotball jigs down to 20-30' and then jigging the depths with Texas rigs to 60 or 100 feet for lakers and stripers in summer.
The more I read the more confused I get about what you are trying to accomplish!!! Baitcasters are at there best with heavier heavier line and lures. I dont run less than 10 pound on a baitcaster. 14 to 20 are my more common lines. 10 is for jerkbaits and medium size crankbaits and dragging a jig in deeper open water. Spooks, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, 5 and 6xd crankbaits all need heavier line and powerful rod n reels. I cant imagine using a dropshot on a baitcaster. I rarely use anything less then 3/8 oz on a baitcast rig. Baitcasters have the power needed to pull fish out of cover. Any finesse presentations should be on spinning tackle. Dropshot, neds, hair jigs, 4 or 5" worms on a slider head, 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs in open water. What you are Texas rigging for lakers and stripers in 100 feet of water?

Don

PA, finally the voice of reason Shows up . I have found out that up until now I really didn't know what finesse meant. Due to some of the videos I saw including the one A-5 posted I now have a better idea of what finesse means. What I plan to do is pull plastics on a bait caster in various depths down to 75 or 100'. Spring and Fall it will be 5-30', summer it will be along the trees and weeds and in winter it will be on the bottom in very deep water. The quarry is Lake Trout, Salmon, Bass and Walleye. Merrill Creek is where it will take place...20 min away. I don't know why a bait caster wouldn't work well as a drop shot rig if the weight is 1/2 oz or so in the deeper summer water. I want to learn trolling and deep jigging.
The Texas rig will probably be how I fish the most.

Don

Your comments about line weight has me puzzled. Not only do I not know finesse but I also don't understand line weight. A-5 was saying he would use light 6-8lb line for certain things. The guy at Cabelas said to use 12 -15lb line and leader as a starting point. You say 14-20.
Can you speak to line weight selection?