Making lures

Melvinp

I’ve been crunching #s.I plan on making something my choice’s are a live bait jig with stinger eye,a steelhead + mold from 1/32 to 1/2oz witch is actually 2 molds and or a crappie spinner bait mold but by the time I get done with any of these 3 projects I’ll be 200 bucks deep now I’m not saying that I won’t have lots of what ever but to get the process started.Oh well I’m addicted can’t wait to make the leap just not sure where’s it headed depends on stock

truecrimson

Thank you for serving as an example for the rest of us of why we should resist the urge to learn to make all the things ;)

Bootfoot

Ok I’m a little lost. Are you buying do it molds or are you having a custom mold made or is your 200 dollar figure include lead melting stuff as well? if it’s start up cost I will tell you that you will absorb all start up costs in short order if you start making the stuff you lose the most. jig heads, tube jig heads and bucktail jig heads I lose with reckless abandon. Bucktails cost between 3 and 8 dollars each. I can make them for 50 cents, tube jig heads cost me 17 cents. Pre-inflation of course. tube jig heads are almost a buck each at the store. I’ve been pouring my own stuff for 40 plus years. The quicker you start the quicker you will recoup your outlay.

Don M

I just started pouring lead, I'd like to see some of the molds and finished products. Before I lay out money for molds.

Melvinp

Ok I’m a little lost. Are you buying do it molds or are you having a custom mold made or is your 200 dollar figure include lead melting stuff as well? if it’s start up cost I will tell you that you will absorb all start up costs in short order if you start making the stuff you lose the most. jig heads, tube jig heads and bucktail jig heads I lose with reckless abandon. Bucktails cost between 3 and 8 dollars each. I can make them for 50 cents, tube jig heads cost me 17 cents. Pre-inflation of course. tube jig heads are almost a buck each at the store. I’ve been pouring my own stuff for 40 plus years. The quicker you start the quicker you will recoup your outlay.
My live bait jig runs to about 175 Steelhead jig (2 molds) about 175 crappie spinner bait about 175 so I’m off by about 25 this will probably produce about 200 to 400 lures but the start up will cost me about 175 to produce my first batch of anything of course in multi colors and size’s.not counting lead or tools needed to pour

Melvinp

Molds averaged close to 50 bucks each now plus materials yeah prices have gone way up

Melvinp

Live bait jig with stinger #1 mold #2 hooks #3 stinger eye #4 braided wire(for stinger)#5 Leader sleeves #6 hook for stinger #7 powder paint

Bootfoot

Gotcha. You can pour lead with a yard sale pot over a propane burner and a ladle. I did this for a couple decades before buying a bottom pour pot. Another tip is don’t buy lead. It’s still out there for free, you just have to put out feelers. You would be surprised how much lead shows up at your door when people know your looking for it.

Don M

Guess I would use 3/8 to 1/2 oz. Fishing the inlet tides I'd still weight from the braid. Buying on it would proably be the top oneIf someone was close I'd trade lead for the use of a mold.

Reactions: A-5

truecrimson

Gotcha. You can pour lead with a yard sale pot over a propane burner and a ladle. I did this for a couple decades before buying a bottom pour pot. Another tip is don’t buy lead. It’s still out there for free, you just have to put out feelers. You would be surprised how much lead shows up at your door when people know your looking for it.
Cast iron pan from out by the dumpster ;)

Don M

What size split shots does the mold make. And are they the kind to reopen. They working out ok for you?
Can you show the molds you have?
I only have an egg sinker mold does 2 - 2- 1 1/2 - 1 - 3/4 - 1/2 - 3/8 _1/4 - 1/8 .oz

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2

Melvinp

What size split shots does the mold make. And are they the kind to reopen. They working out ok for you?
Can you show the molds you have?
I only have an egg sinker mold does 2 - 2- 1 1/2 - 1 - 3/4 - 1/2 - 3/8 _1/4 - 1/8 .oz
It will take me a bit to get everything together I do most of my pouring at work (concrete floor no fires)The split shot I made where really to big for the fishing I do around here and they turned out really hard I had to open and close them with pliers.

Don

I’ll be in Idaho next two week. Fishing regs say that you may not even possess lead. I wonder when we can pour tungsten ?

Melvinp

I’ll be in Idaho next two week. Fishing regs say that you may not even possess lead. I wonder when we can pour tungsten ?
So in Idaho no jigs no spinner baits no sinkers unless you pay big bucks for them they can keep there potato’s